News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Quote from: Whitney on April 07, 2012, 10:23:20 PM
So...after months of my ankle going out on my even after I thought it was okay to exercise on again; I went to the doctor.  Chronic ankle sprain, 4 weeks of physical therapy and should be able to run again without a brace if I follow instructions.

I've been having a hard time not maintaining my previous loss with not being able to do much real exercise (I'm one of those who does better exercising off the excess calories than trying to eat less).  Going to find out monday what I'm allowed to do now.  I tend to do things unless it hurts and so I need a professional to tell me where the line is. I hope I can be cleared to run by the end of april so I'll have plenty time to slim down before our anniversay beach trip.  For now I'm going to up my efforts to eat right...starting working in an office again and getting home late with no time to really cook has not helped but I'm going to try to do some meal planning this weekend to fix that problem.
If your physical therapist is any good at all s/he should work with you to design exercises to do at home to get you back on your feet again.  Also discuss your weight loss goals.  The exercises may look simple, but they are very effective - I just finished six weeks of pt for my back.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ali

Just made a really yummy dinner last night, so I thought that I would share.

Lemon-Thyme Sauteed Veggies
2 TB olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB chopped garlic
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
Salt
Pepper
1 shallot, diced
1.5 cups shelled edamame beans (thawed, if frozen)
1.5 cups grape tomatoes, halved
2 zucchini
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add garlic, shallot, edamame, and grape tomatoes and sautee for about 4 minutes.  In the meantime, use a veggie peeler to cut zucchini into ribbons (discard seeds in the middle.)  Add zucchini ribbons, lemon juice, and thyme, and sautee for another 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and put in a serving bowl.  Stir in feta cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

I served with pearled couscous.  Yummy!!!

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on April 10, 2012, 04:48:54 PM

2 TB olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB chopped garlic
Salt
Pepper
1 shallot, diced
2 zucchini

Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add garlic, shallot, edamame, and grape tomatoes and sautee for about 4 minutes.  In the meantime, use a veggie peeler to cut zucchini into ribbons (discard seeds in the middle.)  Add zucchini ribbons, lemon juice, and thyme, and sautee for another 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and put in a serving bowl.  Stir in feta cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

Um... Where does the meat go? Do you just serve a slab of it on the side, or chop it up and add to the mix?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

2 TB olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB chopped garlic
Salt
Pepper
1 shallot, diced
2 zucchini

That sounds DELICIOUS. *drools*

*begins plotting out a revised grocery store list...*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on April 10, 2012, 04:59:16 PM

2 TB olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB chopped garlic
Salt
Pepper
1 shallot, diced
2 zucchini

Um... Where does the meat go? Do you just serve a slab of it on the side, or chop it up and add to the mix?  ???

The meat stays on the cow, where it belongs.  ;D

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on April 10, 2012, 05:27:52 PM

Well that's no use!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Sounds lovely to me, you may like this lunch that is super easy to make and slightly similar, don't know its name though.

ingredients:
3 bell peppers (whatever colours you prefer but I recommend one yellow, two red)
about 5 spring onions
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
olive oil
French or Italian bread
Pecorino Cheese
Wine (to drink, not cook)

How to:
1. Cover peppers in olive oil and grill on an open flame until roasted on all sides (you need to turn them).
2. Clean outside and inside of peppers when done and cut peppers into mirepoix.
3. Cut spring onions into thinnish slices and fry.
4. Add peppers, brown sugar, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar to frying pan when spring onions start to brown.
5. Fry until balsamic vinegar has evaporated.
6. Serve with good quality lightly toasted French or Italian bread, grated or shaved pecorino cheese and a glass of red wine.
[edit: also add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds to the veggies when cooked]
7. Eat.

I am now really hungry.
Retired member.

Ali

Yum Crow!  That sounds really good (and I love that the recipe includes a glass of wine to drink :D)  I will have to give it a try!

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 10, 2012, 06:00:58 PM

Well that's no use!
Exactly.  >:(

Take meat from cow and serve a huge, well-roasted slab with that what you made there. Nice, yes?  :)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on April 10, 2012, 08:33:37 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 10, 2012, 06:00:58 PM

Well that's no use!
Exactly.  >:(

Take meat from cow and serve a huge, well-roasted slab with that what you made there. Nice, yes?  :)

How about some nice BBQ'ed shish kabobs to go with?

http://www.gardein.com/products.php?t=fresh&p=9

ThinkAnarchy

I'm curious if anyone who was interested looked deeper into the Primal Diet. If so, have you tired it and have you experienced any results? I haven't gotten sick since starting, but granted that could be nothing more than luck and coincidence. The lose of my beer belly isn't luck or coincidence though, while still drinking beer... which isn't allowed, but oh well.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sandra Craft

Just a bit of encouragement (or shameful prodding) for those of us trying to stick to an exercise routine:  86-yr old gymnast
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 10, 2012, 09:02:20 PM
I'm curious if anyone who was interested looked deeper into the Primal Diet. If so, have you tired it and have you experienced any results? I haven't gotten sick since starting, but granted that could be nothing more than luck and coincidence. The lose of my beer belly isn't luck or coincidence though, while still drinking beer... which isn't allowed, but oh well.

I downloaded a couple of Mark Sisson's books (Mark's Daily Apple), he talks about the Primal Diet stuff. It sounds pretty cool so far, and what he says seems to make a lot of sense -- we really WEREN'T built to eat all the junk we eat. I haven't actually started the diet, but I'm planning to this summer when things are a little less busy.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on April 10, 2012, 08:38:16 PM

That's not nice. A nice shishkebab is one you make yourself or buy at a proper kebab place.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on April 11, 2012, 07:05:30 AM
Quote from: Ali on April 10, 2012, 08:38:16 PM

That's not nice. A nice shishkebab is one you make yourself or buy at a proper kebab place.

But I don't know how to make meatless meat!  I think you're better off eating the prepackaged stuff I bought for you.   ;D