News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Things That Make You Cringe

Started by The Magic Pudding, January 20, 2012, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Things That Make You Cringe

I just finished watching "About a Boy."
I've seen it before, and I enjoyed it.
Hugh Grant seems to make some Englishmen cringe.
I'm OK with Hugh most of the time.
The film Australia had a pretty high cringe value for me, what's with putting the countries name on a film, shouldn't we have all seen it first and had the chance to withhold our name?  Hugh and Nicole are normally cool.

My dictionary didn't really agree with concept of cringe "Draw back, as with fear or pain."  There's a drawing back but its not pain of the normal sort.  There's possibly some embarrassment, certainly discomfort is involved.
If you don't have an association with some thing you can turn away, but if a silly stereotype of a group you belong to is portrayed a cringe may be in store.  But then some comic actors I don't share anything with besides an ape ancestry can make me cringe, Jerry Lewis used to do it.

What makes you cringe?

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Severed limbs and needles. Tried giving blood once and ended up passing out before they even stuck me. XD
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Gawen

People eating with their mouths open.

Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachman, Tim Pawlenty, Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin...

Bad coffee

Text language, jst cuz

snapping gum

Total obvious stupidity.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

xSilverPhinx

People who think themselves the ultra warriors but actually have no idea about how imbecilic they look. I feel a mix of feeling embarrassed for them, eye rolling and cringing.

This old woman I know's fingers. There's just something odd about them.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Nancy Grace, Jim Cramer, People who won't shutup and never say anything funny, Baptists, People who question the bible until you tell them they have to believe every word then they all of a sudden believe every word, Tim Tebow, anything from Detroit, and chocolate covered insects.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Asmodean

People having their heads up their asses without even knowing it... And jealous significant others. I do have a big fucking problem with those.

There is more, but nothing really makes me cringe noticeably unless it involves someone inflicting some REAL pain on someone else and me watching it for fun. Those cringes then are of glee, not repulsion, symbolising "Ooh, your ass got OWNED!"

Yes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Reality TV shows

That guy who played Borat

Celebrities and politicians apologizing incessently (some things require an apology, but rarely get a real one; other things get 10 apologies in as many minutes and didn't even need one)

The Republican party's slide into the lunatic fringe
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Siz

Forum sycophancy
My own dancing and song lyrics
Lady Gaga
Louis Walsh
George Bush
Boris Johnson
Conan films
False modesty
Public drunks
People who don't drink "because they don't need it to have a good time"....Urgh.
Americans
Wingeing footballers
Rap music
fat kids
other peoples children
English weather

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Scooby doo cop shows
The excessive use of apostrophes
The word "swag"
Lil B
Kreayshawn
ITV
Retired member.

Ali

Xenophobia
Superiority Complexes
Nationalism
Stereotypes

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Thunder Road

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

philosoraptor

Lots of things annoy me, but one of the few things that will make my physically cringe is watching movies or TV where people get their faces injured.  Seeing someone stabbed or shot in the gut is unpleasant, but something about watching someone get stabbed in the eye or burned on their face squicks me out big time in a way that other injuries don't.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Crow on January 22, 2012, 12:43:10 AM
The word "swag"

Oh dear, so you don't like jolly swagmen?
Are you OK with billabongs?  That's where bunyips live.
Coolabah trees, I've heard some Americans object to eucalypts.
But an English person should be OK with a billy of tea, if it's done right.