News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Moment of Silence Law in Illinois Schools

Started by SteveS, November 20, 2007, 02:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

Hi gang - I'm not sure how far this news has made it around the country, but I thought I'd share something topical going on in Illinois right now.

Earlier this school year I received a letter from the school district that, in accordance with a law that was changed by the state's general assembly, the school will require a moment of silent reflection and/or prayer during each school day.

This disturbed me greatly because it seemed like forcing prayer into schools - but the letter went into more detail: they had retained legal counsel, who advised them to simply ask the students for a moment of silence without instructing them to pray or even advising them that they could pray if they so chose.

This put me in a weird position --- if this wasn't about prayer, why was the law changed?  But it was being approached very carefully - if the school doesn't tell students to pray, or even tell them they can pray if they want, then what could I really object to?

Anyway - a local atheist has dropped the gauntlet and challenged the law.  Here's a link to the story as covered by USA Today if you're curious:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-10-26-moment-of-silence_N.htm

I believe I heard on the news last night that the court has upheld the restraining order, and that the schools in question will not be enforcing the moment of silence pending the resolution of the lawsuit.

In case you're curious, here is a link to the law in question:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?GAID=9&SessionID=51&GA=95&DocTypeID=SB&DocNum=1463&LegID=&SpecSess=&Session=

The law is ... well, not good.  In fact it appears blatantly contradictory to me when it says:

Quote from: "The Illinois General Assembly"This period shall not be conducted as a religious exercise but shall be an opportunity for silent prayer or for silent reflection on the anticipated activities of the day.
Is prayer (silent or otherwise) not a 'religious exercise'?  If its not religious, then what kind of exercise is prayer?

Will

Prayer is attempted communication with a deity, god, or deceased ancestors, and is CLEARLY religious. It's inclusion in public schools is a clear breach of the simple concept of the separation of church and state, but more importantly pisses me off.

Don't make me angry, Illinois. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jcm

Quote from: "SteveS"Hi gang - I'm not sure how far this news has made it around the country, but I thought I'd share something topical going on in Illinois right now.

Earlier this school year I received a letter from the school district that, in accordance with a law that was changed by the state's general assembly, the school will require a moment of silent reflection and/or prayer during each school day.

This disturbed me greatly because it seemed like forcing prayer into schools - but the letter went into more detail: they had retained legal counsel, who advised them to simply ask the students for a moment of silence without instructing them to pray or even advising them that they could pray if they so chose.

This put me in a weird position --- if this wasn't about prayer, why was the law changed?  But it was being approached very carefully - if the school doesn't tell students to pray, or even tell them they can pray if they want, then what could I really object to?

Anyway - a local atheist has dropped the gauntlet and challenged the law.  Here's a link to the story as covered by USA Today if you're curious:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-10-26-moment-of-silence_N.htm

I believe I heard on the news last night that the court has upheld the restraining order, and that the schools in question will not be enforcing the moment of silence pending the resolution of the lawsuit.

In case you're curious, here is a link to the law in question:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?GAID=9&SessionID=51&GA=95&DocTypeID=SB&DocNum=1463&LegID=&SpecSess=&Session=

The law is ... well, not good.  In fact it appears blatantly contradictory to me when it says:

Quote from: "The Illinois General Assembly"This period shall not be conducted as a religious exercise but shall be an opportunity for silent prayer or for silent reflection on the anticipated activities of the day.
Is prayer (silent or otherwise) not a 'religious exercise'?  If its not religious, then what kind of exercise is prayer?

(This period shall not be conducted as a religious exercise but shall be an opportunity for silent prayer or for silent reflection on the anticipated activities of the day.)  

I think the part “or for silent reflection” is what that makes this law sound ok. Silent reflection, to me, does not have any religious overtones. However, I really don’t like the word “shall”. That part upsets me the most. Is this a free country or not?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

SteveS

I hear you jcm, but an "opportunity for silent prayer" does have religious overtones.

I got angry about this, then calmed down, and tried to decide if I really should be angry.  Eventually I considered what would happen if we took 'silent prayer' out --- and made the law completely about 'reflection'.  Would this law  still be on the books?  Seems highly doubtful.  I believe this to be primarily about prayer - which is not okay.

I'm not arguing that religious students should not be allowed to pray in silence in schools (I'm sure many do regularly during exams, hahaha!).  I object to making all students observe a moment of inactivity so that any religious students that happen to be about will be given time to pray.  Meanwhile, the other students have to just sit there and wait for the superstitious ones to quit talking to themselves.

If I was a student, I would use my moment of silence to reflect on the idiotic laws that representatives pass  :wink:  .

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "SteveS"If its not religious, then what kind of exercise is prayer?
Umm.... anaerobic.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson