News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

"Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus" Spoken Word viral video

Started by Thunder Road, January 15, 2012, 04:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Road

It's been creating a lot of buzz the last few days, and it's already over 10,000,000 views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY&feature=related

The Amazing Atheist responded to it, and I basically agree with him, especially the Coke analogy: (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yBo7Z_abiLE

What I really don't understand is at 3:10, the poet tries to say that religion and Christianity are completely different, because "religion is man searching for God, and Christianity is God searching for man."  I really don't get how he can say that Christianity is not a religion, or that Christians are not searching for God.

Still though, you better arm yourselves, because barrages of this guy's supporters are coming.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

DeterminedJuliet

I like the part of the rebuttal where The Amazing Atheist says "What have you subtracted from Religion to equal Jesus? Religion - WHAT = Jesus?!"

EDIT: P.S. When I was a Christian, I would have eaten this shit up. I can see why it's so popular.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 15, 2012, 04:15:18 AM
The Amazing Atheist responded to it, and I basically agree with him, especially the Coke analogy

As an ignostic, I found that example to be particularly amusing. :D

And seconding what DeterminedJuliet about him not elaborating more on what he means by 'religion'. Makes it just a bit too convenient for people to see as 'religion' what they don't like about their own!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Loved the poem. He's almost there. If he replaced Jesus with 'Myself' and started to take responsibility for all that he thinks and does, he'd be a truly great example of a human being. I'd love to have a beer with him.

TheAmazingAtheist, didn't watch it all, don't really care what he has to say. He's an arrogant arsehole who seriously likes the sound of his own yelling. Couldn't take him seriously. I think 100/200 years ago he's the sort of person that would have been a bible basher himself; a classic preacher man.

Thanks for posting those Thunder Road they were really interesting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Quote"religion is man searching for God, and Christianity is God searching for man."
Another example of Christian Superiority Complex.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

How exactly does god exist without religion? That makes no sense to me.
It's like eating cereal without a bowl or milk.
Or drinking coffee without a cup. Just pour it into my cupped palms. XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Thunder Road

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2012, 09:26:25 AM

TheAmazingAtheist, didn't watch it all, don't really care what he has to say. He's an arrogant arsehole who seriously likes the sound of his own yelling. Couldn't take him seriously. I think 100/200 years ago he's the sort of person that would have been a bible basher himself; a classic preacher man.

Yeah I'm not a regular follower of the AA, but his rebuttal came up on somebody's blog so I watched it.  I think he has some serious points, but it's too cluttered with "fuck this" and whatnot to sound realistic.  Shame.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Thunder Road

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 15, 2012, 05:44:54 PM
How exactly does god exist without religion? That makes no sense to me.
It's like eating cereal without a bowl or milk.
Or drinking coffee without a cup. Just pour it into my cupped palms. XD

I do this all the time...  ???

Sweetdeath

Yeah, the cereal analogy sucked. I should change it to hot oatmeal. XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 15, 2012, 06:50:15 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2012, 09:26:25 AM

Yeah I'm not a regular follower of the AA, but his rebuttal came up on somebody's blog so I watched it.  I think he has some serious points, but it's too cluttered with "fuck this" and whatnot to sound realistic.  Shame.

He reminds me of the douchey guys I used to date. I don't mind watching him, it's kind of entertaining.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Thunder Road

The Catholic rebuttal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_tC4fv6FE

Rather well done, I have to say.  And from a logic standpoint, I agree with it more than the the original.  Except for that part about his illogical words "fueling atheist opinions".  There aren't really atheist opinions, there's just atheism - as a belief. 

Interesting nonetheless.

history_geek

I actaully preffered GrapplingIgnorance's and meridianfrost's answers (they use rhymes too!):

RE: I Hate Religion But I Love Jesus - GrappalingIgnorance

RE: I Hate Religion But I Love Jesus - meridianfrost

I did watch TheAmazingAtheists response too, and I think he did a good job all in all, altough I also agree with Tank about him liking his own voice too much...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Too Few Lions

finally got around to watching this video, what a piece of crap. Can't believe he's had so many hits for spouting such drivel. It's like he doesn't realise that the New Testament is a product of Christianity, and Christianity is a religion. And definining 'God' as the father of Jesus, and Jesus as the son of 'God' who suffered and died for your sins is a Christian religious doctrine.

Apart from that, all he seems to be saying just looks like classic Protestantism to me, giving primacy to scripture above the Church. He's a muppet.

superfes

Quote from: Too Few Lions on January 24, 2012, 05:49:32 PM
finally got around to watching this video, what a piece of crap. Can't believe he's had so many hits for spouting such drivel. It's like he doesn't realise that the New Testament is a product of Christianity, and Christianity is a religion. And definining 'God' as the father of Jesus, and Jesus as the son of 'God' who suffered and died for your sins is a Christian religious doctrine.

Apart from that, all he seems to be saying just looks like classic Protestantism to me, giving primacy to scripture above the Church. He's a muppet.

I find a lot of Christaholics do try to separate Jesus out of the Bible when people point out the fallacious nature of the Bible, but they seem to fail in the realization that Jesus only existed in the Bible and nowhere else.

>_>

I know that a common rebuttal to that statement is that a great number of historians believe that Christ existed.

But let's just apply the scientific method to history writing and see how much history is written differently <_<
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

Davin

Quote from: superfes on January 24, 2012, 06:57:10 PM
Quote from: Too Few Lions on January 24, 2012, 05:49:32 PM

I know that a common rebuttal to that statement is that a great number of historians believe that Christ existed.
He just had a different name, like how Imhotep existed but was really named Im-hotep... oh wait.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.