News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Christians bombard teen activist with hate and abuse.

Started by Tank, January 14, 2012, 08:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ransom

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 04:46:06 PM
Quote from: Ransom on January 16, 2012, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: Ransom on January 16, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
Alright, I think I got it figured out now. So here's my conclusion as a Christian: 1) The people who were ciber-bullying Jessica are 50% pricks, 50% justifiably angry. Jessica Ahlquist is a typical Atheist, and pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit. I deeply suspect that the founding fathers (who were mostly Christian) would have been fine with a simple prayer on a wall. I wanna' know how in the hell this thing violated anybody's first amendment rights?! She said it was "offensive" OK... how was it "offensive?" I thought Atheists were supposed to be "tolerant." Why do any of you give a shit about what a banner says? It wasn't dissing anyone. It actually had a good message on it. Jessica Ahlquist isn't a defender of the first amendment. She's a offender who should be jailed for "hate crimes." Sorry, I couldn't resist putting in the hate crimes part.  

If no one should give a shit about what a banner says, then why are Christians (including you) so upset about it being taken down?

LOL about that "pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit."  People just loooooove the Constitution until it gets in the way of their  personal agenda, don't they?

Here's some Truth about the Founding Fathers - if they had really wanted this nation to be a Christian nation - they had their chance.  But that's not what they did, huh?  In fact, the very first line of the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights sets up the separation of church and state.  Seems like they thought that was kind of important, like maybe it was first and foremost in their minds, seeing as how that's the very first thing they did.

She should be jailed for hate crimes?  What "crime" did she commit exactly?  Please point to where it says that it's against the law to file (and WIN!) a lawsuit?  Think of this - seeing as how she won, I'm thinking that keener legal minds than yours agreed that it was a violation of the first amendment.  

You misunderstood the hate crimes part. I was joking about that. That's why I apologized. Why shouldn't they be mad about it being pulled down? There was no reason. You also failed to answer the question genius. HOW was it a violation of the constitution? The sign was anything but offensive. I doubt you even looked at it. If you did, and still thought it was against the constitution, I pity you. Tell me what you find so "offensive" about this evil piece of bigotry.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS304&biw=1280&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbnid=T9eYogdC1pYHoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085964/School-ordered-remove-religious-banner-tells-pupils-kind.html&docid=mFiFndSBq-tjrM&imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/12/article-2085964-0F70039C00000578-561_468x430.jpg&w=468&h=430&ei=m0IUT_jQNsX1ggek7eD8Aw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=316&sig=102105732015175175316&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=71&ty=79

Why SHOULD you be mad about it being pulled down?  Do you really need a banner put up in a public place for you to remember to practice your own religion?  Surely Christians can pray without banners?  Also, you are free to hang prayer banners in your homes, in your church, in your vans (if you happen to own vans), any private property at all.  Just not on public property (such as a public school) because that property does not belong to Christians alone, but belongs to all of us.

I don't find the banner particularly "offensive" (I'm thicker skinned than that) but it is COMPLETELY a violation of the first amendment.

First amendment:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."  In plain English, this means that the government (and government run institutions, such as public schools) cannot favor one belief system over another.  Having the prayer banner favored male, monotheistic religions over those religions that are polytheistic and or worship a female deity, as well as those of us who do not worship a deity at all.  As such, it violated the first amendment.  And you don't have to take my word for it; you can read up on what the judge who ruled on the decision had to say about it.  Again, keener legal minds than yours (or mine) decided it was unconstitutional.  

So she thought it should be taken down because it offended the Buddhists? I realize that it must of course be some horrible crime or summat to offend other people, but ya' know what? That's life. The reality is that Jessica is a hater of the Christian God and wanted it taken down on account of that. If it had been something about Hinduism or Atheism I doubt much would have happened.
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Ali

Quote from: Ransom on January 16, 2012, 04:54:38 PM
Alright, I think I got it figured out now. So here's my conclusion as a Christian: 1) The people who were ciber-bullying Jessica are 50% pricks, 50% justifiably angry. Jessica Ahlquist is a typical Atheist, and pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit. I deeply suspect that the founding fathers (who were mostly Christian) would have been fine with a simple prayer on a wall. I wanna' know how in the hell this thing violated anybody's first amendment rights?! She said it was "offensive" OK... how was it "offensive?" I thought Atheists were supposed to be "tolerant." Why do any of you give a shit about what a banner says? It wasn't dissing anyone. It actually had a good message on it. Jessica Ahlquist isn't a defender of the first amendment. She's a offender who should be jailed for "hate crimes." Sorry, I couldn't resist putting in the hate crimes part.  

If no one should give a shit about what a banner says, then why are Christians (including you) so upset about it being taken down?

LOL about that "pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit."  People just loooooove the Constitution until it gets in the way of their  personal agenda, don't they?

Here's some Truth about the Founding Fathers - if they had really wanted this nation to be a Christian nation - they had their chance.  But that's not what they did, huh?  In fact, the very first line of the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights sets up the separation of church and state.  Seems like they thought that was kind of important, like maybe it was first and foremost in their minds, seeing as how that's the very first thing they did.

She should be jailed for hate crimes?  What "crime" did she commit exactly?  Please point to where it says that it's against the law to file (and WIN!) a lawsuit?  Think of this - seeing as how she won, I'm thinking that keener legal minds than yours agreed that it was a violation of the first amendment.  

You misunderstood the hate crimes part. I was joking about that. That's why I apologized. Why shouldn't they be mad about it being pulled down? There was no reason. You also failed to answer the question genius. HOW was it a violation of the constitution? The sign was anything but offensive. I doubt you even looked at it. If you did, and still thought it was against the constitution, I pity you. Tell me what you find so "offensive" about this evil piece of bigotry.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS304&biw=1280&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbnid=T9eYogdC1pYHoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085964/School-ordered-remove-religious-banner-tells-pupils-kind.html&docid=mFiFndSBq-tjrM&imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/12/article-2085964-0F70039C00000578-561_468x430.jpg&w=468&h=430&ei=m0IUT_jQNsX1ggek7eD8Aw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=316&sig=102105732015175175316&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=71&ty=79

Why SHOULD you be mad about it being pulled down?  Do you really need a banner put up in a public place for you to remember to practice your own religion?  Surely Christians can pray without banners?  Also, you are free to hang prayer banners in your homes, in your church, in your vans (if you happen to own vans), any private property at all.  Just not on public property (such as a public school) because that property does not belong to Christians alone, but belongs to all of us.

I don't find the banner particularly "offensive" (I'm thicker skinned than that) but it is COMPLETELY a violation of the first amendment.

First amendment:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."  In plain English, this means that the government (and government run institutions, such as public schools) cannot favor one belief system over another.  Having the prayer banner favored male, monotheistic religions over those religions that are polytheistic and or worship a female deity, as well as those of us who do not worship a deity at all.  As such, it violated the first amendment.  And you don't have to take my word for it; you can read up on what the judge who ruled on the decision had to say about it.  Again, keener legal minds than yours (or mine) decided it was unconstitutional.  

So she thought it should be taken down because it offended the Buddhists? I realize that it must of course be some horrible crime or summat to offend other people, but ya' know what? That's life. The reality is that Jessica is a hater of the Christian God and wanted it taken down on account of that. If it had been something about Hinduism or Atheism I doubt much would have happened.

She wanted it taken down because it had no place on the wall of a public building.  Again, that pesky constitution, getting in the way of your personal agenda.  Sucks, huh?

I think it's hysterical that you think that because she's a atheist she must hate the Christian god.  Personally, I don't hate the Christian god.  What's the point of hating something that doesn't exist?  Do you hate unicorns?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 16, 2012, 05:23:45 PM
I hate the tooth fairy with a passion.
Never understood the creature's tooth fetish... Is just weird  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on January 16, 2012, 05:25:49 PM

Aw come on Asmo, you know you would loot teeth if you found them ;)

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 16, 2012, 05:27:37 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 16, 2012, 05:25:49 PM

Aw come on Asmo, you know you would loot teeth if you found them ;)
Well, yes. Fake prosthetics can fetch some shiney coin on the interwebs  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

So she thought it should be taken down because it offended the Buddhists? I realize that it must of course be some horrible crime or summat to offend other people, but ya' know what? That's life. The reality is that Jessica is a hater of the Christian God and wanted it taken down on account of that.

It's amazing that you got "it offended Buddhists" out of that, since I saw "violates separation of church and state" written all over the place.  If you go to her blog, that's also her primary concern, if not her only concern.

QuoteIf it had been something about Hinduism or Atheism I doubt much would have happened.

Oh, I think gentle, loving Xtains would have had a few things to say and do about it. 

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ransom

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 05:02:07 PM

She wanted it taken down because it had no place on the wall of a public building.
They used to say a prayer everyday in Public Schools. That's how it started out leastways. Now their so fricking PC that they've banned the pledge of allegiance in some schools (if not all) because it mentions "God" 
QuoteDo you hate unicorns?
Yes
You look after yourself
But I remember this much

Firebird

No Ransom, you still don't understand. She thought it should be taken down because having it up there implied that the school favored one religion or belief system over another, and that is what's inappropriate in a public school setting. This nation may be majority Christian, but it is not a Christian nation. The founders even explicitly said this was not a Christian nation in the Treaty of Tripoli (look it up if you don't believe me). Civil rights are not a popularity contest; they're about protecting the rights of the minority. That's the reason we have the constitution and the courts to uphold said rights even if they're not popular. If we had left everything up to popular opinion, then blacks and whites would probably still not be able to marry. In this particular case, that minority includes Atheists, Buddhists, and anyone else who does not believe in the Abrahamic version of a monotheistic god, of which there are plenty.
Let's be honest here: if there had been a specifically atheist or Buddhist banner up there, then someone else in the school would have probably protested that instead of her. And you know what? I would have been fine with that. The whole point is that matters of religion and faith should remain a private matter. If you believe in god, great. Just don't shove it in my face, especially when my tax dollars are paying for it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

Quote from: Ransom on January 16, 2012, 05:41:33 PM
They used to say a prayer everyday in Public Schools. That's how it started out leastways. Now their so fricking PC that they've banned the pledge of allegiance in some schools (if not all) because it mentions "God" 
Yes

Do you know how incredibly weak your religion sounds, if you believe that you NEED public schools to try to enforce it on our children?  Like, if your kids won't pray unless the teacher makes them, it sounds to me like your kids just don't want to pray.  Oh well.

Davin

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 05:02:07 PMDo you hate unicorns?
Yes
I do, they killed my parents. It was back in '62, before I was born. In the previous future, I became the leader of the Unicorn Meat Products Corp. so they sent a robot unicorn back in time to kill my parents before I was born. After that it starts to get very complicated. Because I was never born, they had to send a robot unicorn back to kill the parents of the new future president... which made me the future president of the company again... after a few hundred times, I just decided to not become a president of the company. Anyway, that's why I don't like them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Buddy

Well, I'll be taking a leaf out of her book when they start praying in Indiana schools.  :-\
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

I assume putting it up in the first place cost some money.
And while it was up, I assume it required some sort of maintaining. Washing, sewing, whatever...
And where would the money for that come from. Tax payer money. Including the tax payer money of all the tax payers who do not believe in the abrahamic god.

Probably not a great deal of money, but it is the principle of the thing.....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ransom

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 05:50:30 PM
Yes

Do you know how incredibly weak your religion sounds, if you believe that you NEED public schools to try to enforce it on our children?  Like, if your kids won't pray unless the teacher makes them, it sounds to me like your kids just don't want to pray.  Oh well.

Do you know how incredibly weak your... uh... (is atheism a religion?) sounds, if you believe that you can't even have the American pledge of Allegiance just because it mentions a God? Let's ban There's a wocket in my pocket by Dr. Seuss since it mentions something that even though it doesn't exist, the book assumes that people who don't believe in wockets are wrong.
You look after yourself
But I remember this much

xSilverPhinx

I think this guy is a POE.

I mean there's just no way! ;D