News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Christians bombard teen activist with hate and abuse.

Started by Tank, January 14, 2012, 08:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on January 14, 2012, 09:42:41 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 14, 2012, 05:42:36 PM
I am honestly worried for this girl's safety. We see what the students and other citizens of Rhode Island think, but what does the faculty of the school have to say?

I'm worried for her too. But she seems like she standing up for herself quite well. A couple of other links, including her own blog:

http://jessicaahlquist.com/
http://cranston.patch.com/articles/ahlquist-fight-over-mural-despite-harrassment-threats-worth-it

Really impressive. I wish I had been as brave as she is, especially at her age. I'll probably post a message of support on her blog, because I'm sure she needs it. I wonder if we should mention this forum too? Or would this community prefer to remain under the radar to avoid possible spamming by others? I'm still fairly new, so I don't know how people here feel about that.
New members are always welcome so you can mention thisplaceif it's approprite tothe subject, wouldn't want to be a spammer  :D
If we get some arseholes join hey won't last for long.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ransom

So wait, that quote you put up in the OP was an actual quote from the Christian community? Or just one f***ing moron?
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Firebird

Quote from: Ransom on January 15, 2012, 10:36:02 PM
So wait, that quote you put up in the OP was an actual quote from the Christian community? Or just one f***ing moron?

It was a whole bunch of morons, many of whom go to school with her
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

Quote from: Firebird on January 15, 2012, 10:53:00 PM
many of whom go to school with her
One must wonder why, because developing proper writing skills does not seem part of it  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Ransom on January 15, 2012, 10:36:02 PM
No true Scotsman!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2012, 07:56:37 AM
No true Scotsman!
'Cause I'm the Saddam, yes I'm the real Saddam, and you other Saddams an all kiss my bottom

/Eminem
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Guess what? She's Swedish!
Now who do we know who's a 16yo Swedish atheist?  ::)  ;D

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2012, 08:14:36 AM
Guess what? She's Swedish!
Now how do we know who's a 16yo Swedish atheist?  ::)  ;D
We have one in The Asmo's Infernal Fan Club.

And, as we all know, Asmos corrupt.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: Ransom on January 15, 2012, 10:36:02 PMSo wait, that quote you put up in the OP was an actual quote from the Christian community? Or just one f***ing moron?

Hello Ransom. Are you ever going to bother to respond to the replies in the most recent thread you started?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ransom

Alright, I think I got it figured out now. So here's my conclusion as a Christian: 1) The people who were ciber-bullying Jessica are 50% pricks, 50% justifiably angry. Jessica Ahlquist is a typical Atheist, and pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit. I deeply suspect that the founding fathers (who were mostly Christian) would have been fine with a simple prayer on a wall. I wanna' know how in the hell this thing violated anybody's first amendment rights?! She said it was "offensive" OK... how was it "offensive?" I thought Atheists were supposed to be "tolerant." Why do any of you give a shit about what a banner says? It wasn't dissing anyone. It actually had a good message on it. Jessica Ahlquist isn't a defender of the first amendment. She's a offender who should be jailed for "hate crimes." Sorry, I couldn't resist putting in the hate crimes part. 
You look after yourself
But I remember this much

Ali

Quote from: Ransom on January 16, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
Alright, I think I got it figured out now. So here's my conclusion as a Christian: 1) The people who were ciber-bullying Jessica are 50% pricks, 50% justifiably angry. Jessica Ahlquist is a typical Atheist, and pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit. I deeply suspect that the founding fathers (who were mostly Christian) would have been fine with a simple prayer on a wall. I wanna' know how in the hell this thing violated anybody's first amendment rights?! She said it was "offensive" OK... how was it "offensive?" I thought Atheists were supposed to be "tolerant." Why do any of you give a shit about what a banner says? It wasn't dissing anyone. It actually had a good message on it. Jessica Ahlquist isn't a defender of the first amendment. She's a offender who should be jailed for "hate crimes." Sorry, I couldn't resist putting in the hate crimes part. 

If no one should give a shit about what a banner says, then why are Christians (including you) so upset about it being taken down?

LOL about that "pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit."  People just loooooove the Constitution until it gets in the way of their  personal agenda, don't they?

Here's some Truth about the Founding Fathers - if they had really wanted this nation to be a Christian nation - they had their chance.  But that's not what they did, huh?  In fact, the very first line of the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights sets up the separation of church and state.  Seems like they thought that was kind of important, like maybe it was first and foremost in their minds, seeing as how that's the very first thing they did.

She should be jailed for hate crimes?  What "crime" did she commit exactly?  Please point to where it says that it's against the law to file (and WIN!) a lawsuit?  Think of this - seeing as how she won, I'm thinking that keener legal minds than yours agreed that it was a violation of the first amendment. 

Ransom

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

If no one should give a shit about what a banner says, then why are Christians (including you) so upset about it being taken down?

LOL about that "pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit."  People just loooooove the Constitution until it gets in the way of their  personal agenda, don't they?

Here's some Truth about the Founding Fathers - if they had really wanted this nation to be a Christian nation - they had their chance.  But that's not what they did, huh?  In fact, the very first line of the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights sets up the separation of church and state.  Seems like they thought that was kind of important, like maybe it was first and foremost in their minds, seeing as how that's the very first thing they did.

She should be jailed for hate crimes?  What "crime" did she commit exactly?  Please point to where it says that it's against the law to file (and WIN!) a lawsuit?  Think of this - seeing as how she won, I'm thinking that keener legal minds than yours agreed that it was a violation of the first amendment. 

You misunderstood the hate crimes part. I was joking about that. That's why I apologized. Why shouldn't they be mad about it being pulled down? There was no reason. You also failed to answer the question genius. HOW was it a violation of the constitution? The sign was anything but offensive. I doubt you even looked at it. If you did, and still thought it was against the constitution, I pity you. Tell me what you find so "offensive" about this evil piece of bigotry.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS304&biw=1280&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbnid=T9eYogdC1pYHoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085964/School-ordered-remove-religious-banner-tells-pupils-kind.html&docid=mFiFndSBq-tjrM&imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/12/article-2085964-0F70039C00000578-561_468x430.jpg&w=468&h=430&ei=m0IUT_jQNsX1ggek7eD8Aw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=316&sig=102105732015175175316&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=71&ty=79
You look after yourself
But I remember this much

xSilverPhinx

You're a POE, right?

If not then you're what you get when the old status quo is shriveling up and dying...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Quote from: Ransom on January 16, 2012, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

LOL about that "pulled the ol' "It's against the constitution" shit."  People just loooooove the Constitution until it gets in the way of their  personal agenda, don't they?

Here's some Truth about the Founding Fathers - if they had really wanted this nation to be a Christian nation - they had their chance.  But that's not what they did, huh?  In fact, the very first line of the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights sets up the separation of church and state.  Seems like they thought that was kind of important, like maybe it was first and foremost in their minds, seeing as how that's the very first thing they did.

She should be jailed for hate crimes?  What "crime" did she commit exactly?  Please point to where it says that it's against the law to file (and WIN!) a lawsuit?  Think of this - seeing as how she won, I'm thinking that keener legal minds than yours agreed that it was a violation of the first amendment.  

You misunderstood the hate crimes part. I was joking about that. That's why I apologized. Why shouldn't they be mad about it being pulled down? There was no reason. You also failed to answer the question genius. HOW was it a violation of the constitution? The sign was anything but offensive. I doubt you even looked at it. If you did, and still thought it was against the constitution, I pity you. Tell me what you find so "offensive" about this evil piece of bigotry.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS304&biw=1280&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbnid=T9eYogdC1pYHoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085964/School-ordered-remove-religious-banner-tells-pupils-kind.html&docid=mFiFndSBq-tjrM&imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/12/article-2085964-0F70039C00000578-561_468x430.jpg&w=468&h=430&ei=m0IUT_jQNsX1ggek7eD8Aw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=316&sig=102105732015175175316&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=71&ty=79

Why SHOULD you be mad about it being pulled down?  Do you really need a banner put up in a public place for you to remember to practice your own religion?  Surely Christians can pray without banners?  Also, you are free to hang prayer banners in your homes, in your church, in your vans (if you happen to own vans), any private property at all.  Just not on public property (such as a public school) because that property does not belong to Christians alone, but belongs to all of us.

I don't find the banner particularly "offensive" (I'm thicker skinned than that) but it is COMPLETELY a violation of the first amendment.

First amendment:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."  In plain English, this means that the government (and government run institutions, such as public schools) cannot favor one belief system over another.  Having the prayer banner favored male, monotheistic religions over those religions that are polytheistic and or worship a female deity, as well as those of us who do not worship a deity at all.  As such, it violated the first amendment.  And you don't have to take my word for it; you can read up on what the judge who ruled on the decision had to say about it.  Again, keener legal minds than yours (or mine) decided it was unconstitutional.