News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

7 days...simply not 7 consecutive 24 hour periods of time.

Started by AnimatedDirt, January 13, 2012, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 07:57:21 PM
I don't really understand how someone can be so in tune with the physical sciences AND believe that God created the world in 7 days.   :-\

Are you sure the creation week he believes in is 7 consecutive 24 hour periods of time?  I believe the fictional God created the universe in 7 days...simply not 7 consecutive 24 hour periods of time.

EDIT: Split from another thread - Tank

AnimatedDirt

I didn't mean for it to become a point of debate...just that there is more than one way of looking at creation "week".

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 13, 2012, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 07:57:21 PM
I don't really understand how someone can be so in tune with the physical sciences AND believe that God created the world in 7 days.   :-\

Are you sure the creation week he believes in is 7 consecutive 24 hour periods of time?  I believe the fictional God created the universe in 7 days...simply not 7 consecutive 24 hour periods of time.

No, I'll admit I don't talk to him very often about stuff like that anymore, so I've never asked him if he actually believes in 7 consecutive 24 hour periods of time.  As you might expect, religion is a touchy topic between the two of us.  Last time we had a conversation about anything even remotely close to religion (we were actually just talking about the holidays - we celebrate Solstice in our house instead of Xmas or Chanukah) his comments were "You are such a dope sometimes." and "Sucks to be you."  So yeah, we don't talk about this stuff much any more.  Not worth the conflict when neither one of us is likely to change our minds and we both leave feeling disrespected.

ETA:  Sorry Tank, don't know if you want to move this one too since I was responding to the question about 7 consecutive days.

Whitney

So you take the 7 god days interpretation? Like where a god day could be thousands of our days.

Ali

If we are going to go down this path, I have to ask - what do you mean by not seven consecutive 24 hour periods?

Like, do you believe that "days" does not refer to actual days (each "day" could last billions of years) or do you believe that they actually were real days, but spaced out billions/millions of years (assuming you believe that the world is billions of years old.)

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Whitney on January 13, 2012, 08:19:44 PM
So you take the 7 god days interpretation? Like where a god day could be thousands of our days.

Yes.  I'm open to the fact that creation week may've not been literally A WEEK as we know it today.  One point is that the "sun" wasn't created until day 4.  Another is the apparent "agreement" in that the order of creation is much like order that one might assume things evolved.

At the same time, the actual "God involvement" may've been simply a few moments to speak the order...maybe even at different times.

I'm hardly here to say this is so and to give out proofs of this.  I'm just not married to the "fact" of creation having taken 144 hours literally.

Sweetdeath

Didn't the Romans create the calender?

God days. That's a new one. Now we can control time! *space noises*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 13, 2012, 08:28:08 PMYes.  I'm open to the fact that creation week may've not been literally A WEEK as we know it today.  One point is that the "sun" wasn't created until day 4.  Another is the apparent "agreement" in that the order of creation is much like order that one might assume things evolved.
With the vegetation coming in before the sun was created?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 13, 2012, 08:39:53 PM
Didn't the Romans create the calender?
Which calendar?
Quote from: SweetdeathGod days. That's a new one. Now we can control time! *space noises*
Yes, there is a concept that I believe Whitney is alluding to from that piece of fiction.  Do you know what it is?
Quote from: Davin on January 13, 2012, 10:00:48 PM
Are you suggesting nothing grows in artificial light or apart from the "sun" light?

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 13, 2012, 10:10:53 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 13, 2012, 10:00:48 PM
Are you suggesting nothing grows in artificial light or apart from the "sun" light?
I'm suggesting that vegetation doesn't grow without light, yes. Before the fourth day, there was no light... unless it was unmentioned that god had already created light, but recreated light on the fourth day.

Quote from: Gen 1:14-19 NIVAnd God said, "Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Edit: My error, there was light, but no sun.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 13, 2012, 10:10:53 PM

So before the sun, god created UV lamps?  

Ateo

To start debating a "creation week" you're automatically giving creationism some credibility. It seems to me, all of the points brought up by creationists are about academic questions, like this one, that prove nothing, go nowhere.

I have to quote or rather paraphrase Hitchens, 'there is no debate with creationism, it's over, it was over in the middle of the 20th century.'

Creationism lost, the debate is over.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

Tank

Quote from: Ateo on January 13, 2012, 10:25:14 PM
To start debating a "creation week" you're automatically giving creationism some credibility. It seems to me, all of the points brought up by creationists are about academic questions, like this one, that prove nothing, go nowhere.

I have to quote or rather paraphrase Hitchens, 'there is no debate with creationism, it's over, it was over in the middle of the 20th century.'

Creationism lost, the debate is over.

The creationists didn't read the memo  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Ateo

Of Course it's not ............ this is a forum. I'm not trying to kill a topic, and I know you don't roll over Animated.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."