News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

pedophilia as a disability?

Started by AnimatedDirt, January 10, 2012, 10:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twentythree

Quote from: McQ on January 11, 2012, 04:40:12 PM
Quote from: Crow on January 10, 2012, 11:12:39 PM
There is evidence that pedophilia may be caused during the development of the brain. Due to external or chemical stimulus it interrupts the usual development that makes people want to be protective of children for some reason and gets mixed up with the area of the brain that is related to sexual attraction. I cant remember the article in full but I saw it on the BBC website a while back but I don't want to google it.

However I don't agree with it being a disability.

Can you post a link to the peer reviewed studies that support this?
You may not want to post a link, but I also don't want to simply take your word for it.

Scientific claims should be backed up with evidence.

A Super quick Google search came up with this

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071022120203.htm

Ali

Quote from: Tank on January 11, 2012, 07:04:39 PM
I agree that recidivism is an issue.

However supposing the 58% that didn't go on to reoffend had been given help before they offfended in the first place. They may have never committed the crime. Thus all their victims would never have become a victim at all. As you say giving paedophilles the opportunity to seek help before they have offended may have negligable impact. But to my knowledge it's never been tried. As such a child has to have been molested/raped before the molester/rapist can be taken off the streets. I'd personally like to see a system that does what it can to prevent the molestation/rape before it happened.

Good points.  I concede.    ;)

Sweetdeath

I know what you mean about prevention being the best cause for action, but can you tell? I mean, most pedophiles blend into the background pretty well UNTIL  a child is molested. It's tough to prevent it...

Honestly, I don't want to demonize either, but not having them openly in society makes me feel better. I don't think sex offenders or child abusers should ever be released from prison unless it was like a seriously low degree offense.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 11, 2012, 07:11:27 PM
I know what you mean about prevention being the best cause for action, but can you tell? I mean, most pedophiles blend into the background pretty well UNTIL  a child is molested. It's tough to prevent it...

Honestly, I don't want to demonize either, but not having them openly in society makes me feel better. I don't think sex offenders or child abusers should ever be released from prison unless it was like a seriously low degree offense.
But do they blend in because they have to? Could you tell a paedophile who had admitted their condition from one that hadn't? I don't think so. But in the case of the paedophile that had admitted their condition and gone on a volunteer list of those unsuitable for work with children and had possibly had appropriate treatment they would be supported to help them to not hurt children. And that's the point I'm getting at that if society helped people with pedophilia tendencies not to act on them that would be a good thing to do. It's too late after they've raped the kid and then killed the kid so he/she can't tell anybody. No amount of retribution is going to bring that kid back.

If society had a suitable safety net for paedophiles (not child molesters/rapists) then they wouldn't have to blend in and hide. They could be open with the appropriate authorities and seek help and thus potentially not become molesters/rapists.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Twentythree

Quote from: Tank on January 11, 2012, 07:25:27 PM

If society had a suitable safety net for paedophiles (not child molesters/rapists) then they wouldn't have to blend in and hide. They could be open with the appropriate authorities and seek help and thus potentially not become molesters/rapists.

I couldn't agree more. The prison system has become sick with bureaucracy and has been proven time and again to be costly and ineffective. Any behavior no matter how bizarre it may seem to use has a cause. There is a reason, either biochemical or psychological in most cases both. seeking answers for people who suffer from these conditions and developing proactive, early assessment and treatments will in the long run prove to be much more beneficial and humane than euthanasia or incarceration.

McQ

Quote from: Twentythree on January 11, 2012, 07:06:57 PM
Quote from: McQ on January 11, 2012, 04:40:12 PM
Quote from: Crow on January 10, 2012, 11:12:39 PM
There is evidence that pedophilia may be caused during the development of the brain. Due to external or chemical stimulus it interrupts the usual development that makes people want to be protective of children for some reason and gets mixed up with the area of the brain that is related to sexual attraction. I cant remember the article in full but I saw it on the BBC website a while back but I don't want to google it.

However I don't agree with it being a disability.

Can you post a link to the peer reviewed studies that support this?
You may not want to post a link, but I also don't want to simply take your word for it.

Scientific claims should be backed up with evidence.

A Super quick Google search came up with this

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071022120203.htm

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

m.condon

As someone who has been molested I may be biased but though it may have developmental problems attached with the issues I don't think its a disability in the least bit. When discussing morals with people I find the only thing we can all agree on,in every situation, molesting and rape is wrong. Can they help themselves? If not, they know it is wrong and know what they are doing and do not seek help, even when help is provided in many treatment centers. I do not think these people should be looked upon with sympathy for having a disability. At the most they should be put in treatment programs, given meds, and be put under watch. Same with someone who hasnt killed someone but expressed homicidal tendencies
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweetdeath

Quote from: m.condon on January 18, 2012, 01:46:55 AM
As someone who has been molested I may be biased but though it may have developmental problems attached with the issues I don't think its a disability in the least bit. When discussing morals with people I find the only thing we can all agree on,in every situation, molesting and rape is wrong. Can they help themselves? If not, they know it is wrong and know what they are doing and do not seek help, even when help is provided in many treatment centers. I do not think these people should be looked upon with sympathy for having a disability. At the most they should be put in treatment programs, given meds, and be put under watch. Same with someone who hasnt killed someone but expressed homicidal tendencies

I fully agree with your many points, and i'm.sorry for your experiences. I can at least emphathize with you on that. *hug* :x
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

pytheas

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 10, 2012, 10:39:17 PM
Furor in Greece over pedophilia as a disability

How odd is this?  Am I way off thinking this is crazy?  If so, help me understand.

hahaha

modern greece is about trying to master corruption but failing.
the idea was proposed by some git but fell through as a joke

up until recently certain islands had 20 times more blind people as a ratio in the population. The local doctor and policeman and social security administrator and mayor and top local priest were in on the act. they had a cut from the compensations.

we were not bankrupted thanks to pedophiles, at least

as far as benefits go they were scarce, and really disabled people went through hell to get it.
with no pavements or slopes or infrastructure for disability, and a ludicrous stigma as usual people stared as if they are looking at aliens, you dont see any disabled people out on the street in greece
Their families lock them indoors for life out of shame and despair

as for pedophiles, the good side is that as soon as they are known in jail, they get "suicided" by the regular dignified inmate

and a rural dad will take his shotgun or large knife and pay the dues to the offender, before trial.

true justice?  that is another joke in these parts of the world
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE