News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

random question.

Started by Simone, November 15, 2007, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simone

Ugh...ima back.

rlrose328

Wow, that's a new one... I have no idea.  A quick Google search gives nothing specific to teens but tons of info on drug testing for employers in Canada, but I assume that won't help you.  Sorry.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

Sorry Simone - I'm not even honestly sure what would here in the States.  Normally, if a person was an adult, I think this could cause them to lose their job.  But, a 14 yo?  Who probably doesn't have a job to lose?  I would think a private educational institution maybe could expel a person, but surely a state school could not?  Eh - I guess I just really don't have a clue.

Simone

Ugh...ima back.

SteveS

Eh - I just don't know.  Its a good question - I know that in the States I could be arrested if I'm found in possession of marijuana - but I don't know if this includes possession through drug test results.  Sometimes the law sort of leaves a loophole - you can be convicted of possession, but evidence of usage doesn't count as evidence of possession - which is sort of weird.  What I'm getting at, for example, is that in the US the legal drinking age is 21 --- but the police don't arrest drunken 19 year olds - they will arrest 19 year olds found holding alcoholic beverages (e.g., in a bar raid).  But - if usage is illegal as well, then having the residual elements left by use in your blood would seem to indicate strong evidence of use ... so maybe.

I'm afraid I'm just not terribly educated on this subject.  I don't know the specifics of our drug laws.  I can tell you that if somebody fights the criminal charge of either possession or use of marijuana and I'm in the jury box --- I'm going to vote for acquittal on the grounds of 'jury nullification'.  I don't consider a ban on marijuana possession and usage to be a just law.  Where is the injustice the law is meant to protect against?  Doesn't seem to me that there is one.....

SteveS

Hey Simone, I ran a few web searches.  Here are two articles that might interest you.

Drug Testing in the Workplace

Drug Testing at School

From reading this over, it seems highly unlikely that a failed drug test would lead to an arrest.  Of course, this information seems to apply to the United States, not necessarily Canada.

I'll refrain from further commentary at this time, but both these articles were starting to piss me off --- there's just so much I could rant about in there....

shoruke

"."

now that's a good question
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

McQ

OK, anyone else besides me not see anything in the OP?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "McQ"OK, anyone else besides me not see anything in the OP?
I think it's just you.......

I see a "."
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Simone

Heh, sorry, and no, it's not just you, I took my posts down.
Ugh...ima back.

Simone

It was actually because I wanted to take down the topic, but then i realized that I couldn't, so I just took down my posts. Am I allowed to do that? :S
Ugh...ima back.

Mister Joy

In the UK at least it isn't illegal to have any drugs in your system. Possession & selling is illegal but that's it. I'd assume it's the same in the States & Canada, since you could easily have had your cigarette spiked with marijuana without knowing it (being the innocent sort that you are you wouldn't recognise the taste, of course). Drug tests are very similar to lie detectors in that they are simply a scare tactic designed to make you confess to something that you did; they aren't incriminating so long as you don't actually confess to voluntarily taking or possessing the drug.

McQ

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"
Quote from: "McQ"OK, anyone else besides me not see anything in the OP?
I think it's just you.......

I see a "."

Smarty-pants.   :P
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: "Simone"It was actually because I wanted to take down the topic, but then i realized that I couldn't, so I just took down my posts. Am I allowed to do that? :S

Yes, you can remove posts you change your mind on. If you are having a hard time doing it just send a PM to laetus, amor fati or to me and we can help with that. No sweat!
--Penn Jillette

Simone

Heh, thanks, and yes, I do have a problem. How do I delete posts?(topics)
Ugh...ima back.