News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Global Secular Humanist Movement

Started by Tank, January 01, 2012, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Stevil

Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, shits on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory.
Reminds me of many visitors to the HAF, including our recently banned friend.

MinnesotaMike

Humanists were the topic of discussion during one of our SSA meetings, ever since then I've defined myself as one. It's nice being able to tell people what you are instead of what you aren't.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Ali

Oh yes!  I definitely consider myself a Secular Humanist.  Thanks for the link - I "liked."

Will

Sounds like the Illuminati, but we're really not supposed to talk about that.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Firebird

Yeah, I'd probably call myself a humanist at this point. I mentioned this before, but we used a Humanist celebrant to renew our wedding vows. She told me they had to fight hard to get recognized as a religion in Texas
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

They made it to 20,000 and it's still going up.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

m.condon

Another cool FB group is http://www.facebook.com/National.Atheist.Party
I know the Name of the group can be a little of putting but I know alot of seculars, theists and agnostics that liked it. Worth checking out. I liked the link that you sent. We need more groups like that1
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tank

Quote from: m.condon on January 16, 2012, 01:35:28 AM
Another cool FB group is http://www.facebook.com/National.Atheist.Party
I know the Name of the group can be a little of putting but I know alot of seculars, theists and agnostics that liked it. Worth checking out. I liked the link that you sent. We need more groups like that1

Now this is getting a little like spamming. Do you think you could manage some posts where you don't mention NAP?

Asmodean

Hmm... Were I a humanist, I'd probably consider it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Thanks for the link, Tank!

I've currently just got a 'professional' facebook page, so when/if I create a personal one, I'll be very happy to 'Like' that group. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan