News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Heaven, would you really want to exist forever ?

Started by unholy1971, December 31, 2011, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfes

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:48:31 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 11:19:37 PM
Quote from: superfes on January 04, 2012, 11:04:35 PM
Absolutely, ever since our minds evolved a taste for curiosity Human beings have become the most creative species we've seen, I find the prospects of what Humans could be capable of doing quite exciting.

^_^

So then you and I are at odds with Davin who may, it seems, feel living forever would be like reading one page out of a book hundreds or thousands of times.

How long has this universe been around?  At what speed is the universe expanding?  So unless we find a way of travelling at the speed of light, it seems simply exploring the universe, like driving across country, would take Billions of Trillions and so on, years to make that trek...not to mention exploring every planet, every inch of it.  That alone would be time consuming of seemingly an eternity.  That's a straight line exploration...now think of the infinite number of directions we could take from each point or from here.  Mind boggling.  Then we have the implementation of the new knowledge we gain and creating new things for our entertainment...the imagination can run wild with ideas.

Boring?
Not boring the first few thousand times. But it is eternity, so after doing all that a few billion times still with an eternity left to live... yeah, boring.

I think I would make the sacrifice of living just a hundred or so years watching mankind stumble so much right now during my lifetime to an eternity where there's a possibility that after the Universe is extinguished I would still be around forever with nothing.
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

Siz

Are you really prepared to spend millions of years at a time travelling? Now, that's a looooong game of i-spy. Your brain would have atrophied long before you'd left the milky way. And that's long after you'd ingested every word ever written... including the entire Mills and Boon collection. I'm outa here...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 11:19:37 PMHow long has this universe been around?  At what speed is the universe expanding?  So unless we find a way of travelling at the speed of light, it seems simply exploring the universe, like driving across country, would take Billions of Trillions and so on, years to make that trek...not to mention exploring every planet, every inch of it.  That alone would be time consuming of seemingly an eternity.  That's a straight line exploration...now think of the infinite number of directions we could take from each point or from here.  Mind boggling.  Then we have the implementation of the new knowledge we gain and creating new things for our entertainment...the imagination can run wild with ideas.

Boring?

An eternal afterlife of sitting around paradise and praising god forever would become intolerably boring after awhile.  People would be looking for ways to commit posthumous suicide.  However, if we took the prospect of eternal exploration such as you've posted above and intertwine that with the afterlife, NOW we have a vastly more appealing afterlife concept.  Unencumbered by the organic shell we now occupy we're off to explore the far reaches of the universe free of the constraints of physics and capable of interstellar travel and cosmic exploration in some ethereal, spirit state of being.  I'll admit that sounds like a fascinating way to spend an eternity and I'd LOVE to believe it if it weren't, y'know...clearly ridiculous.

But it's definitely a fun and intriguing concept on which to sell an afterlife.  It's a lot better than just doing nothing in heaven.

What the hell is there to even DO in heaven?  I'm assuming there's no TV, or movies, or the internet, or Wii, or Caribbean cruises, or Happy Hour, or anything that we humans regard as fun.  Supposedly animals have no souls so there aren't even dogs in heaven.  So, really, what is there to do with all that time?  I'd be bored shitless within fifty years.

Time to bail on heaven and hit the interstellar highway.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 05, 2012, 06:48:18 AM
An eternal afterlife of sitting around paradise and praising god forever would become intolerably boring after awhile.  People would be looking for ways to commit posthumous suicide.  However, if we took the prospect of eternal exploration such as you've posted above and intertwine that with the afterlife, NOW we have a vastly more appealing afterlife concept.  Unencumbered by the organic shell we now occupy we're off to explore the far reaches of the universe free of the constraints of physics and capable of interstellar travel and cosmic exploration in some ethereal, spirit state of being.  I'll admit that sounds like a fascinating way to spend an eternity and I'd LOVE to believe it if it weren't, y'know...clearly ridiculous.

But it's definitely a fun and intriguing concept on which to sell an afterlife.  It's a lot better than just doing nothing in heaven.

What the hell is there to even DO in heaven?  I'm assuming there's no TV, or movies, or the internet, or Wii, or Caribbean cruises, or Happy Hour, or anything that we humans regard as fun.  Supposedly animals have no souls so there aren't even dogs in heaven.  So, really, what is there to do with all that time?  I'd be bored shitless within fifty years.

Time to bail on heaven and hit the interstellar highway.

In the context of the fairytale...who has shown you that heaven will only be sitting aroung (like in church) worshipping God?  If we take the fairytale and disect it, when God created humans, were they sitting around worshipping God 24/7?  If anything, God instituted the 1 in 7 worship concept, so one can only RIGHTLY assume that if there is "church" in heaven, it would be one "day" in 7.  How that will play out, I don't know.  I have no clue.  However another thing we can assume from our creation is what we are intrinsically(? is that the word I'm looking for?).  We are curious, we learn, we build, we plant, we invent, we play...that is all normal things that in my mind will all be present in heaven...afterall, the fairytale God did create us in His image...and he creates so why wouldn't we do the same (albeit not necessarily with God-like abilities, but more as we do now)

Sweetdeath

Pffft, hell no. i'd rather chill with Lucifer than be bored all day in heaven. Honestly though, eternal life sounds terribly dull.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Heck no! I get bored easily if I don't have the internet. What if God has a password in his Wifi?  ???
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 05:24:22 PM
Heck no! I get bored easily if I don't have the internet. What if God has a password in his Wifi?  ???

LOL
Parental block on every internet site.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 05, 2012, 05:35:35 PM

LOL

And you can forget about watching ponies. I mean, look at those faces. They are the epitome of all things evil.  :P
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 06:09:15 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 05, 2012, 05:35:35 PM

LOL

And you can forget about watching ponies. I mean, look at those faces. They are the epitome of all things evil.  :P

God wouldnt allow it because he'd be jealous of Princess Celestia.

(actally, I compare her to god a lot, because she does nothing  significant in the show. XD)

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 05, 2012, 04:53:21 PMIn the context of the fairytale...who has shown you that heaven will only be sitting aroung (like in church) worshipping God?  If we take the fairytale and disect it, when God created humans, were they sitting around worshipping God 24/7?  If anything, God instituted the 1 in 7 worship concept, so one can only RIGHTLY assume that if there is "church" in heaven, it would be one "day" in 7.  How that will play out, I don't know.  I have no clue.  However another thing we can assume from our creation is what we are intrinsically(? is that the word I'm looking for?).  We are curious, we learn, we build, we plant, we invent, we play...that is all normal things that in my mind will all be present in heaven...afterall, the fairytale God did create us in His image...and he creates so why wouldn't we do the same (albeit not necessarily with God-like abilities, but more as we do now)

But what do you actually see yourself doing in heaven with all that time?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 05, 2012, 06:19:20 PM

Me personally...not a whole lot different than life as we know it.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 05, 2012, 06:18:16 PM

(actally, I compare her to god a lot, because she does nothing  significant in the show. XD)

I still get a kick out of the Trollestia meme. Though if you think about it, comparing the two makes more sense then it should.

My problem with being in Heaven for all of eternity, is not only to I have to kiss God's feet the whole time, but I get bored extremely easy. That and I'm sure God would have a music filter, so no more blasphemous music.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 06:49:24 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 05, 2012, 06:18:16 PM

I still get a kick out of the Trollestia meme. Though if you think about it, comparing the two makes more sense then it should.

My problem with being in Heaven for all of eternity, is not only to I have to kiss God's feet the whole time, but I get bored extremely easy. That and I'm sure God would have a music filter, so no more blasphemous music.

Haha, yes, I love Trollestia.
Heaven would be hell IMO. Anyone who thinks it sounds like a good time, I don't want them at my bday party.

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 05, 2012, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 05, 2012, 06:19:20 PM

Me personally...not a whole lot different than life as we know it.

I can't magine that being the case. 

I would guess in heaven there's no longer the same demands as life here on earth.  I don't see hours out of every day being spent earning a living, repairing the house, maintaining the yard, raising the kids, running errands, paying bills, dealing with traffic, or even hours spent doing more relaxing and enjoyable stuff like surfing the web, watching football, (the American kind :)) taking a vacation, and on and on and on with all the different sort of things we do here.  I expect your afterlife will be devoid of all these things and your choices for entertainment will be pretty much non-existant.

I can also make the argument that I don't believe you'd be able to continue to pursue your career or even your hobbies or interests.  For example, since they died, nothing new has ever come from Charles Dickens, or Thomas Edison, or Michelangelo, or Elvis, or...anyone. 

Ever.

Given how passionate these men were for their respective art, one can reasonably assume they would want to continue to pursue their "God given" talents in heaven.  If that were so, then everything they do is only available in heaven which means that heaven would have to have its own publishing imprint, recording and distribution operation, and art galleries.  This seems unlikely to say the least.  I've never heard of heaven being a capitalist organization.  If it were, it'd also make an entire line of posthumous products from all the dead talent up there available down here on earth.  God would be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

Just imagine a product and service line like this:

- Elvis: The 'After My Death' Album

- Salvador Dali's Posthumous Paintings Exhibition

- Heath Ledger's NEW Movie

- Hire Shakespeare to Read your Children a Bedtime Story

The commercial possibilities are endless.  God Inc. would be bigger than Apple, Disney, e-Bay and Google, combined!

So unless all the new work from all these dead people is only being made available in heaven, I have to surmise that they can't pursue their various crafts because they're dead and that's the end of them.  That's probably for the best because I imagine it would be intolerable for them to face an eternity unable to pursue their passion.

That would be like, a sort of, Hell.
- Bomr

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 05, 2012, 06:57:56 PM

Haha, yes, I love Trollestia.
Heaven would be hell IMO. Anyone who thinks it sounds like a good time, I don't want them at my bday party.

Well jeeez, if Celestia is God, what is Luna?