News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Heaven, would you really want to exist forever ?

Started by unholy1971, December 31, 2011, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 10, 2012, 07:28:07 PM
Quote from: Stevil on January 10, 2012, 06:01:37 PM
Well, the death of JC seems to be something profound to Christians, to me it is inevitable that a human will die, so more to be expected rather than profound.
If it is inevitable that humans die, why do we make heroes out of those that put their lives on the line for our freedom?  Are you saying that we should not care whether someone has given their leg or arm or their life in the fight for freedom?  What about simply the fight the nation finds itself in politically?  Has this soldier paid any less of a price for the beliefs of a "nation" whether it be freedom or oil?  These are good (in the great scheme) things to die for aren't they?  Who makes the death of a soldier in a recent war any less of a sacrifice than that of another war(s)?
Fair enough point, but it is obvious when a hero dies, what they have died for. A person may have died racing into a burning building trying to rescue people that were trapped. It is not obvious to me what the character Jesus was doing or if he was aware of the dangers involved.
Quote from: StevilBut I presume there was some purpose such that JC had to be put to death. Some Christians state that JC died for us. You have stated this. I objected and basically this is why we are having this conversation.
Whether you like it or not, in the context of the piece of fiction, JC died for all.  The peoples of that piece of fiction can object until the day they die.  The "fact" remains, its been done.  The option is there for all.  It can be thrown away and it can be redeemed fully if one changes their mind later.
Here you are confusing the real world with this fictional world. I exist in the real world not the fictional one. The Jesus character died for people existing in the fictional world not the real one. There are many issues when trying to relate this fictional world with the real one.

Quote from: StevilSo I would like to know what the significance of his death is and how anyone, human or god benefited from this "sacrifice".
In the context of the piece of fiction, either the one that has sinned pays for his/her own sin and dies the death of a sinner (complete separation from God/annihilation) or he/she claims faith in Christ and then is (legally) given life because their debt to sin has been paid by God.  Salvation is a gift one must accept.  If "you" don't accept it, it can't be given.
This is not clear to me. Many assertions about "legally", about death and life, I feel in this context it is difficult to know what you mean by life.
These people are still alive before or after JC's death. It doesn't seem any different. There is still sin, and disease before and after.
Quote from: StevilAlso I would like to know how it can be claimed as a sacrifice when it seemed to be a punishment rather than a sacrifice to the gods. The Romans at the time believed in Zeus didn't they? Wouldn't they have sacrificed JC to Zeus if it were a god sacrifice?
Punishment for what?  Even Pilate washed his hands of Christ's death and said he found no wrong doing in him.  It was the Romans that physically put Christ on the cross, but it was the Jewish Pharisees and Sanhedrin that condemened him.  There is no claim whatsoever by the Romans that they were placing this Jesus on a cross as a sacrifice to Zeus.  Where did you get that from?
Christians often state that Jesus died for us, like it was a big sacrifice. But his death was not a blood sacrifice to the gods and he didn't seem to be risking his life for any great cause, so I don't really get it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 10, 2012, 11:51:00 PM
Fair enough point, but it is obvious when a hero dies, what they have died for. A person may have died racing into a burning building trying to rescue people that were trapped. It is not obvious to me what the character Jesus was doing or if he was aware of the dangers involved.
It seems to me that whatever reading you've done in that piece of fiction was restricted to that which you felt gave you enough reason to reject it, be it sex, rape, incest and everything else in that piece of fiction.  It doesn't seem you know anything of the fictional story that results from any careful study.  Now you might ask, "Why study that which I don't believe is true?"  I refer you back to Thains Book - Guide to Tolkien's Middle-earth where it is obviously a story of myth and fiction, yet some have gone and thouroughly studied it, yet had no belief it was true.
Quote from: StevilHere you are confusing the real world with this fictional world. I exist in the real world not the fictional one. The Jesus character died for people existing in the fictional world not the real one. There are many issues when trying to relate this fictional world with the real one.
Once again, I'm trying to discuss with you this book of fiction in context of the book being exactly as you say, fiction.  I made it clear in that in context of the piece of fiction, JC died for all.  I'm explaining to you that this is fact as the piece of fiction goes.
Quote from: StevilThis is not clear to me. Many assertions about "legally", about death and life, I feel in this context it is difficult to know what you mean by life.
It's quite simple.  Think of a court room.  A plaintiff and a defendant.  The plaintiff is the Satan character, the defendant is a human.  The plaintiff clearly and rightly shows that the defendant has sinned.  (every human has).  Therefore there is not much back and forth as the Judge, God, clearly sees the human is guilty of sin.  The gavel drops , and the sentence read.  Death is the punishment for sin.  But instead of the human being lead out to death, the same Judge then says to the human, "Here is my son, JC.  He has already died, innocent of sin, the death required to pay for your sin.  If you place your faith in him in that his death replaces yours, you may go free.  It is a gift.  Your choice.
Quote from: StevilThese people are still alive before or after JC's death. It doesn't seem any different. There is still sin, and disease before and after.
Because the plan of salvation is finished when JC died.  All that was required to save the believing sinner was done at that fictional cross.  Whether one dies a human death is of no consequence.  ALL will be alive again to face judgment.  The second death, after judgment, is the death that no person comes back from.  One either pays the penalty of sin, complete annhihilation, or one puts his/her faith in JC that he paid that death for you.  The end of the fictional story has not been written so we can't know why God hasn't already come and removed disease, suffering, death and ultimaltely sin.
Quote from: StevilChristians often state that Jesus died for us, like it was a big sacrifice. But his death was not a blood sacrifice to the gods and he didn't seem to be risking his life for any great cause, so I don't really get it.
Which brings me back full circle to the first point above.  Either you have or haven't read and studied the piece of fiction.  (I think you have claimed you're read it, I could be wrong)

My son has to do book reports on whatever books he chooses for his English class in high school.  He was supposed to be doing his report and was just sitting at his desk in his room with his head in his hands.  I asked what the problem was, "Didn't you read the book?"  "Yes.".  "Well, it shouldn't be that difficult to give a report on what the book was about, in a few paragraphs."  "I read it, but I wasn't paying attention when reading it."  *sigh*

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 11, 2012, 08:52:35 PM
Now you might ask, "Why study that which I don't believe is true?"  I refer you back to Thains Book - Guide to Tolkien's Middle-earth where it is obviously a story of myth and fiction, yet some have gone and thouroughly studied it, yet had no belief it was true.
I would guess the people studying Tokien's books find then fascinating and hence worthy of exploring further.

It's quite simple.  Think of a court room.  A plaintiff and a defendant.  The plaintiff is the Satan character, the defendant is a human.  The plaintiff clearly and rightly shows that the defendant has sinned.  (every human has).  Therefore there is not much back and forth as the Judge, God, clearly sees the human is guilty of sin.  The gavel drops , and the sentence read.  Death is the punishment for sin.  But instead of the human being lead out to death, the same Judge then says to the human, "Here is my son, JC.  He has already died, innocent of sin, the death required to pay for your sin.  If you place your faith in him in that his death replaces yours, you may go free.  It is a gift.  Your choice.
You state "Your choice" as if I am a character in the book.
If I were a character in the book, given my own personal values I would not accept the death of another person as payment for my sin. It is horrendous to think this way. But then again under the gun like that I might lie to the judge just so that he won't annihilate me, there doesn't seem to be much of a choice.
I find it extremely hard to put myself into the shoes of a character in this mythical world as described by the bible. It is so foreign, so illogical, so grotesque, quite horrid actually, I would hate for this mythical world to exist in reality.

Which brings me back full circle to the first point above.  Either you have or haven't read and studied the piece of fiction.  (I think you have claimed you're read it, I could be wrong)
I read the first 5 or 6 pages, it alienated me so I stopped reading, but of course I have heard many stories, I do live in a Christian influenced country.

Sweetdeath

"Put your faith in my son or die. "
It seems you can also replace that with "give up your money or die" "take off your clothes or die" etc.
What a nice guy 'god' is. e__e

And I'm with Stevil on I am glad this bs isn't real.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Gawen on January 13, 2012, 12:34:28 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 12, 2012, 11:44:35 PM
"Put your faith in my son or die...because I love you "

Fixed it for ya.

That's what you're here for. ^__^  Thank you.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.