News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Heaven, would you really want to exist forever ?

Started by unholy1971, December 31, 2011, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unholy1971

Christians believe that when they die they are going to this fairy tale land called heaven, where they are going to worship this egomaniac god forever and ever.  If I were a christian I would ask myself, what if I eventually tire of heaven?  What if I get tired of kissing god's ass every single day of my existence?  What if I decide you don't want to exist anymore? The first trillion years might be fun.  The second trillion years might even be tolerable, but how about after hundreds of trillions of years?  How about after a quadrillion years?  How about after a quintillion years?  Time would continue to progress forever and ever, and ever.  Yet I wouldn't have even reached the infancy of my existence.  Furthermore what happens if my opinions about god begin to change?  What if I learn that god is nothing more than a self-absorbed, control freak, bully?  What if I decide I don't want to be part of heaven any longer?  Existing in heaven would be more like living in hell.  For the christians in this forum, and I know there are several, this might be something to pounder.

Davin

I wouldn't. Partway through through eternity I'd have done all I could do, learned all I could learn and seen all I could see... then I'd still have an eternity to go.

A worse eternal heaven is one I've heard from theists where we'd all spend our eternity singing praises to god... that is one person's heaven which would get old after a few minutes.

Mostly, I wouldn't want an eternal life because it would eventually get boring. Even a hell of eternal torture would get boring. I'm not a theist any longer, but that is what I thought when I was.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Stevil

It would be fun plotting to over through the incumbent.

The Magic Pudding

Is the excruciating boredom of a church service training for an eternity in heaven?
I wouldn't want to be stuck in one place, I'd want to get about, seed planets and see what happens.
I'd sleep a lot too.  If it got too boring I'd just get some one to wake me when something was happening.

BullyforBronto

This post reminds me of Mark Twain's Letters from Earth.

If you haven't read it, I definitely recommend doing so.

Ali

Quote from: BullyforBronto on January 02, 2012, 12:58:40 AM
This post reminds me of Mark Twain's Letters from Earth.

If you haven't read it, I definitely recommend doing so.

Yes!  Wonderful!

But yes, being alive for all eternity sounds unbearably tiring.

Stevil

You get to learn how to play the harp, and then write some glorious songs about how great god is.
All will gather round and listen intently, then they will play their own renditions of "ode to god" and you get to listen.

At the after function you get to talk to all your loved ones (well, the ones that made it to heaven) and tell each other about how much you love god and how great he is, and how you wish you could write the perfect song about him.

If you are lucky you might even get to see Hendrix as he masters the harp and writes his songs about god...

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: unholy1971 on December 31, 2011, 04:48:18 PM
Christians believe that when they die they are going to this fairy tale land called heaven, where they are going to worship this egomaniac god forever and ever.

I much prefer the heaven implied by this, which I snagged from someone else on some other thread:

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Ecurb Noselrub

I can say without any hesitation that I want to live forever. I never want to cease to exist.  I think life is wonderful and cannot imagine ever being bored with it.

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 04, 2012, 03:09:09 AMI can say without any hesitation that I want to live forever. I never want to cease to exist.  I think life is wonderful and cannot imagine ever being bored with it.
Get your favorite book, go to your favorite page, and read it and only it hundreds of times a day for a year straight (no watching TV or movies, no playing games, no listening to music or talking to anyone else or doing anything else). If you get bored with that one page after reading it thousands of times in row, then eternity is not for you, because eventually during eternity, you'll have done everything and learned everything possible an infinite amount of times... and you'll still have an eternity to go.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Siz

So, assuming you'd not like to live forever, how long would you like to live for, knowing what you know about the universe, and had space-folding technology? I suppose it would depend on whether life on other planets could be found. If not, I think I'd have had my fill in a few thousand years. But even then I think I'd get a bit bored after the human race had died off.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 04, 2012, 03:30:26 PMSo, assuming you'd not like to live forever, how long would you like to live for, knowing what you know about the universe, and had space-folding technology? I suppose it would depend on whether life on other planets could be found. If not, I think I'd have had my fill in a few thousand years. But even then I think I'd get a bit bored after the human race had died off.
I think I would also be good for a few thousand years before I'd want to no longer exist.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 02:31:03 PM
Get your favorite book, go to your favorite page, and read it and only it hundreds of times a day for a year straight (no watching TV or movies, no playing games, no listening to music or talking to anyone else or doing anything else). If you get bored with that one page after reading it thousands of times in row, then eternity is not for you, because eventually during eternity, you'll have done everything and learned everything possible an infinite amount of times... and you'll still have an eternity to go.

Sounds like you know exactly what heaven will be like...

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 04:04:34 PM

Who said anything about heaven? I was responding to:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 04, 2012, 03:09:09 AMI can say without any hesitation that I want to live forever. I never want to cease to exist.  I think life is wonderful and cannot imagine ever being bored with it.

He mentioned nothing of heaven, just living forever.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 04:10:22 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 04:04:34 PM

Who said anything about heaven? I was responding to:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 04, 2012, 03:09:09 AMI can say without any hesitation that I want to live forever. I never want to cease to exist.  I think life is wonderful and cannot imagine ever being bored with it.

He mentioned nothing of heaven, just living forever.

I thought it was reasonable to assume the Theist mentioned living forever in the context of "heaven".  We are in the religion section right?  "Heaven" is in the title of the thread...checking...