News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

near death experiences

Started by Light, December 23, 2011, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Asmo is a god, he takes all our grumpyness so the rest of us can be happy.

All praise Asmo!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Recusant

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:12:54 AMBy the way, what is with the frowning avatar anyway, I thought this was supposed to be the 'happy atheist forum'.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on December 24, 2011, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 04:12:54 AMBy the way, what is with the frowning avatar anyway, I thought this was supposed to be the 'happy atheist forum'.

Not everyone has heard about The Great and Terrible Asmo, apparently. Something needs to be done  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 03:16:57 PM
Quote from: Recusant on December 24, 2011, 02:51:14 PM

Not everyone has heard about The Great and Terrible Asmo, apparently. Something needs to be done  ;D

ASAP  >:(

Anyways, back to the OP, I think there are some mor eintriguing questions than answers so far (I don't have a good answer). For instance, why do people say they see Jesus as depicted by painters as the blond guy with blue eyes? The guy lived in the Middle East...

In all else, I have no idea. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Traveler

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2011, 03:28:29 PM
...Anyways, back to the OP, I think there are some mor eintriguing questions than answers so far (I don't have a good answer). For instance, why do people say they see Jesus as depicted by painters as the blond guy with blue eyes? The guy lived in the Middle East...

LOL, yeah! If we know one thing about Jesus (assuming he existed as an individual) is that he most certainly was not a blue eyed white guy.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Light

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2011, 03:28:29 PM
Anyways, back to the OP, I think there are some mor eintriguing questions than answers so far (I don't have a good answer). For instance, why do people say they see Jesus as depicted by painters as the blond guy with blue eyes? The guy lived in the Middle East...

You mean how they see jesus in the NDE?  If so, maybe these spirits or whatever they are, present themselves in a way that the person can understand. I read one story,Mellen-Thomas Benedict, where the guy said there wasn't just one heaven, there were multiple, based on how people related to the idea of heaven while on earth. 

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 07:40:45 PM
You mean how they see jesus in the NDE?  If so, maybe these hallucinations or whatever they are, present themselves as something the person is likely to imagine in a given situation. I read one story,Mellen-Thomas Benedict, where the guy said there wasn't just one heaven, there were multiple, based on how people related to the idea of heaven while on earth. 
Fixed it up a bit. Also, the bold text is pretty much THE definition of unreliable testimony.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on December 24, 2011, 04:09:03 AM
Reading someone's acount of his or her NDE is no more interesting to me than reading a deliriant user's account of his or her hallucinations. Some people do find it fascinating. I just find it... Boring.

Same.
I honestly   don't see a point anyway in researching such nonsense. People who are way too obsessed with death annoy me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Light

Eh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.

Asmodean

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 09:14:55 PM
Eh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.
I don't believe I'm alive. I know I'm alive AND I can prove it conclusively with the assistance of a medical team and some independent educated reviewers for verification.

For clarification, just how broad is your definition of believing?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

There's a definition for death, made up by some people, so what?  That's a commonly accepted definition, not an absolute truth.

Traveler

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 09:14:55 PM
Eh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.

The problem with personal experiences of the so-called supernatural, is that there are many, many ways to interpret the experience. The mind is a crazy thing. VERY prone to suggestion. I don't argue that those people had some sort of experience. But I highly doubt the interpretation they're layering over the experience.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Light on December 24, 2011, 09:23:31 PM
There's a definition for death, made up by some people, so what?  That's a commonly accepted definition, not an absolute truth.

I think you're making a mistake a lot of religious people make of confusing the physical and the metaphysical -- perhaps in the belief that the metaphysical can't stand on its own.  And maybe it can't, but trying to shoehorn the metaphysical into the physical isn't going to work either, the two are apples and oranges.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Quote from: LightEh, why do any of you even believe you're alive right now?  Because someone told you that you are?  There are things called personal experiences that can be the basis for believing something.

Cogito ergo vivo.