Very new, still not sure if am calling myself Atheist yet!

Started by SummerintheDam, December 19, 2011, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twentythree

Quote from: SummerintheDam on January 11, 2012, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: Ali on December 23, 2011, 05:56:01 AM
Nice to "meet" you!  It sounds like you have had a very interesting "journey."  What does your family think of your (relatively) new found atheism?

Well, My family isn't aware of my newfound atheism, although I believe they have doubts about whether or not I 'believe' anymore. Growing up there was at least one occasion where a family member told me outright I was going to hell for living a secular life and on many occasions I have been told that I am sinning or going against God's will for my actions, but it is only recently that I have really started to question what all of that means. I don't think I will come out, so-to-speak, to my parents, as it would just cause them undo pain and disappointment, but thankfully I have a husband and in-laws whom I can converse with about all of these thoughts and try to formulate more concrete feelings. I still get glimpses of self-doubt when I read a Christian's perspective on evolution and wonder if THEY might actually have the right answers, but then logic takes over and I remember that I don't believe in magic and I don't believe it has ever existed, so I am lead once again to an atheist perspective...

Very true and well put. The more you read and learn about naturalism and what it means to be sentient and the responsibilities that come along with it you will find that it in no way conflicts with the overarching moral teachings of many religions. Morals such as kindness, hard work, devotion and honesty become even more powerful and meaningful when you realize that we have evolved and intellect that has given us the ability to rationalize and actively work to intervene in our own nature. We are driven by instinct, but guided by intellect. I digress. Ultimately I just want to express that atheism is just a lack of belief in the supernatural, it says nothing whatsoever about your morality or what kind of human being you choose to be.

Ali

Quote from: Twentythree on January 11, 2012, 08:58:38 PM
Quote from: SummerintheDam on January 11, 2012, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: Ali on December 23, 2011, 05:56:01 AM
Nice to "meet" you!  It sounds like you have had a very interesting "journey."  What does your family think of your (relatively) new found atheism?

Well, My family isn't aware of my newfound atheism, although I believe they have doubts about whether or not I 'believe' anymore. Growing up there was at least one occasion where a family member told me outright I was going to hell for living a secular life and on many occasions I have been told that I am sinning or going against God's will for my actions, but it is only recently that I have really started to question what all of that means. I don't think I will come out, so-to-speak, to my parents, as it would just cause them undo pain and disappointment, but thankfully I have a husband and in-laws whom I can converse with about all of these thoughts and try to formulate more concrete feelings. I still get glimpses of self-doubt when I read a Christian's perspective on evolution and wonder if THEY might actually have the right answers, but then logic takes over and I remember that I don't believe in magic and I don't believe it has ever existed, so I am lead once again to an atheist perspective...

Very true and well put. The more you read and learn about naturalism and what it means to be sentient and the responsibilities that come along with it you will find that it in no way conflicts with the overarching moral teachings of many religions. Morals such as kindness, hard work, devotion and honesty become even more powerful and meaningful when you realize that we have evolved and intellect that has given us the ability to rationalize and actively work to intervene in our own nature. We are driven by instinct, but guided by intellect. I digress. Ultimately I just want to express that atheism is just a lack of belief in the supernatural, it says nothing whatsoever about your morality or what kind of human being you choose to be.

Well said. 

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Xiilent

happyhappa

Hi there!
Your journey sounds similar to mine- except you have been able to travel all over the world.
Do you feel as if being exposed to different cultures has helped to shape your conversion?

roadrunner

Quote from: SummerintheDam on December 19, 2011, 02:29:18 PM
I came across this forum when researching topics on people who have recently become non-believers and this seems like the best place to start! ................

Me too. this is my first week. It hasnt all sunk in yet. I still find myself beginning to pray over meals (out of habit, even though as I said in another post it was vain repetition) I always had doubts it just took a while to stop kidding myself. its all still very surreal.

roadrunner

btw check out my intro, still in the closet. it will probably make you feel better.

arian (Banned)

Quote from: SummerintheDam on December 19, 2011, 02:29:18 PM
I came across this forum when researching topics on people who have recently become non-believers and this seems like the best place to start!

I grew up in the US in a Church of Christ family, going to church 3 times a week till I was 18 (and then left home to go to Uni and lived a very different life). My grandfather was a minister his whole life, his 2 sons/my uncles are ministers, and my brother was an 'urban minister' for a time involved in church planting activities in his city. I was baptized at the age of 12 and had a very good relationship with God and prayed every day. Even after I went off to college and stopped going to church/started to party and experiment with all sorts of things, I still believed in God and still felt guilty many times for my actions.

Fast forward a few years to when I moved outside of the US (to Hong Kong) where I met my Australian (and atheist) husband, and I have had many opportunities to question the faith I was brought up in, along with the existence of God in general.

We now live in Amsterdam - a city of very kind people who do not seem to hold onto any religion per se yet surprisingly are still good people ('tongue-in-cheek').... Through discussions with my husband and general questioning of everything I had been taught/told my whole life, I feel now that I do not believe in any God or super being, along with any heaven or hell. I am still coming to grips with this realization and was really just looking for others who are on the same journey and how they have come to terms with it.

Happy to be here!

I myself am brand new here too, and I sincerely welcome you.

Ask yourself this question; 'did you really know GOD', or were told all your life that you knew Him?' (that is if you went to church 3 times a week and wrote that check, ... with a smile, remember to smile! LOL)

What I mean is, was the God you knew your Churches version, or the Real God (Bible-God), our Creator?

All religions, and unfortunately 'all Christian Denominations' have their own version of God. One is called Jehovah, the other Seventh Day Adventists, the warmonger grape juice drinking Baptists, they all have created their own version of God. So which one of them is the real GOD?

First, you would make the right choice by becoming an 'Atheist', it's a start. Leave all those other gods, and go on a quest to 'seek the only true GOD'. It is why we were given the ability to reason, ... not just to 'obey'. Those Christian Churches who seek 'obedience' in their followers are cults. Jesus never 'brainwashed (indoctrinated) anyone, the people 'chose' to follow Him.

Think about it, we are to follow Jesus, no? Not some Preacher who preaches in some multimillion dollar Mega-church 'House of God'.
"You are the Temple of God" and God will decide whether or not His Spirit will dwell with you, not some Minister.

Welcome, that is if after my tenth post, I myself will or will not be welcomed here? LOL
This member has been banned. So don't expect any answers to your questions or comments.

joeoleson

Christopher Hitchens, look for him on Youtube, it will be worth your time.

Glad to meet you
joe
just joe

canadianlam

Hi Summer,

I'm a grandmother who's been dancing around agnosticism/aethism for decades, never feeling any urgency to wave one flag or another. A heart attack four years ago brought the issue out of hiding when funeral discussions evolved.  
Although religion played only a small role in my life, it's etched deeply in my psyche. The guilt I felt at denying the existence of God was based in fear established by religion.
After many years of witnessing catastrophic world events and of weathering personal crises, the reality has outweighed the fairy tale. It's clear to me that there's no magic lamp/golden goose/God in heaven. Belief in these things may provide a brief escape from reality giving one time to regroup, but that's all it is.
I'm fortunate to live where one can make choices without interference and where people, for the most part, don't rigorously marginalize those of us with philosophical differences. My choice to exit the world of religion with its rules and limitations and to enter one where I answer to my own conscience is right for me.
I hope you find what's right for you.  

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome.  It's always good to see someone who is unsure, but open to discussion.  Many of us were in your shoes at one point.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

fishtumor

yes welcome and its great that your giving your self room to hear out other possibilities.