News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

A Night with the Stars

Started by Crow, December 19, 2011, 07:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Currently only for UK viewers (unless your using a proxy or VPN).

Brian Cox - A Night with the Stars

If you enjoy science in any way shape or form I highly recommend watching the program.

Quote from: DescriptionFor one night only, Professor Brian Cox goes unplugged in a specially recorded programme from the lecture theatre of the Royal Institution of Great Britain. In his own inimitable style, Brian takes an audience of famous faces, scientists and members of the public on a journey through some of the most challenging concepts in physics.

With the help of Jonathan Ross, Simon Pegg, Sarah Millican and James May, Brian shows how diamonds - the hardest material in nature - are made up of nothingness; how things can be in an infinite number of places at once; why everything we see or touch in the universe exists; and how a diamond in the heart of London is in communication with the largest diamond in the cosmos.
Retired member.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

I saw it and I was disappointed.  He went far too fast for anyone to understand anything unless they had read a good deal about it already. It was all glitter and no depth.
The basic theme was:  "Look at me, I'm Brian Cox, I'm a scientist and a pop star and I have long hair and I know all the celebrities!"

Crow

Hahaha, well that describes Brian Cox spot on, I actually found it easy to follow but the celebrity thing annoyed me.
Retired member.

OldGit

Yes, I found it easy to follow, having read many popular books on Quantum Physics.  But Mrs Git couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Siz

I thought it was spot-on! Very reminiscent of the Christmas lectures shown on the BBC (http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?action=displayContent&id=00000005110 FYI). Quantum science in a nutshell. OK, he spoke of concepts that we'd just have to take his word on in the interests of accessibility, but it was a great opener for the uninitiated.

The fact that there were celebrities involved meant that it was allowed on our telly with my wife in the room... and she watched it all with interest. I've no doubt this aspect encouraged many more head-in-the-sand citizens to be exposed to some (IMO) very interesting stuff. Did you notice how the 'science' of the programme was massively played down in the adverts for it - so much so that I hadn't considered watching it initially. This was obviously a deliberate ploy (I suspect by Brian) to attract erstwhile uninterested viewers.

Interestingly, some of Brians offerings resonated with a previous post here about about quantum entanglement. It's all becoming clearer (kinda...).

I'd certainly like to know more about the 'no two electrons in the universe can hold the same energy state' thing. Something very spooky and thought provoking here... Was it Stevil or PC who proposed that this might be a clue to other-dimensional activity we have yet to tap in to? Nice thought!

More like this please. And, yes I DO fancy Brian Cox... Oh, did I say that out loud???!!!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crocoduck

I've downloaded it

I've not had a chance to watch it yet.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Tank

Watching it right now. So far so good.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Siz

Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2011, 07:14:09 PM

So, what's your verdict, Tank?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 19, 2011, 11:41:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2011, 07:14:09 PM

So, what's your verdict, Tank?
Pretty good. Going to watch it again this evening.

Crocoduck

It's funny how big a fuss has been made over the Cox talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZWediSfTU

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Tank

Quote from: Crocoduck on March 07, 2012, 10:29:35 AM
It's funny how big a fuss has been made over the Cox talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZWediSfTU
Very interesting, thanks for posting.