News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Who has read The God Delusion, what did you think.

Started by unholy1971, December 19, 2011, 03:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unholy1971

The next book I plan on reading is The God Delusion, I was just woundering what everyone what about it.

Crow

Never read it, in fact I haven't read any atheist books, I try not to because I know they will piss me off. I did see the TV version of it though, it was enjoyable but it made me want to punch a nun.
Retired member.

Stevil

Quote from: Crow on December 19, 2011, 06:27:13 AM
Never read it, in fact I haven't read any atheist books, I try not to because I know they will piss me off. I did see the TV version of it though, it was enjoyable but it made me want to punch a nun.
When I see a habit I think of those pointy hats the KKK wear. They are all hate groups

Tank

Worth a read. I read it in 2006. It makes some good points.

Personally I think Against All Gods: Six Polemics on Religion and an Essay on Kindness by AC Grayling does a better job in a lot less pages and lets the reader make up their own mind.

TGD is essential reading if you want to understand Dawkins' mind set rather than the strawman 'Dawkins' created by a limited number of very verbose  hate filled theists.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: unholy1971 on December 19, 2011, 03:46:45 AM
The next book I plan on reading is The God Delusion, I was just woundering what everyone what about it.

I remember reading it awhile back and having a problem with Dawkins' personality (which seems more abrasive on paper than in TV interviews) altho no with anything he wrote.  Personally, my favorite living science writer is Chet Raymo.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pharaoh Cat

Decent book.  Just don't take Dawkins as an expert on Christian theology, a subject more subtle than he sometimes would lead you to believe.  I don't have specific examples as the book wasn't a recent read for me and my memory sucks.  I merely recommend you double-check any of his claims about Christian theology before taking them as, uh, gospel. ;)

My favorite writer in this genre is the Baron d'Holbach, who wrote in the latter 1700's.  His main output is available for free or very cheap on Kindle, and here's a list:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=baron+d%27holbach

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

OldGit

Quote from: BooksCatsEtcI remember reading it awhile back and having a problem with Dawkins' personality (which seems more abrasive on paper than in TV interviews) altho not with anything he wrote....

I agree.  It's well worth a read, and in fact I have it on my shelf, but to me Dawkins is not the best vehicle for his ideas.

xSilverPhinx

I've read it, and although I respect Dawkins, it wasn't as good as his biology books. He does bring up some interesting sociological facts, but when it comes to his thoughts on religion, read a bit more carefully. I do think he tends to think too black-and-white on some issues, and his thoughts on religion going away and that that would solve many of the world's problems seem to be a bit naive.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Melmoth

He attacks a very limited idea of what 'religion' is. He sees it as strictly notional rather than practical, for instance. To him, it's a failed philosophy - a proposal backed up by argument that deals with the abstract nature of the universe in a way that purports to be based in rationality - which isn't necessarily how religious people see it. I can sort of ken how some religious folks might view him as silly or as having missed the point.

It would be a great book, though, for an unbelieving child at a deeply religious school. It deals with the duller religious apology pretty well. Just don't expect it to help you in a grown-up debate with an educated Christian.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on December 19, 2011, 07:16:54 AM
Quote from: Crow on December 19, 2011, 06:27:13 AM
When I see a habit I think of those pointy hats the KKK wear. They are all hate groups

Interesting comparring nuns to the KKK. I like it though, because in itself organised religions bring more hate into the world than anything else.

As for the GD topic, I keep meaning to read the book. I hear a lot of mixed reviews, but I still wanna read it myself.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Whitney

It was okay..nothing new.  Dawkins is a lot better at science than he is at philosophy of religion.

Asmodean

I've read it, but I like his videos better. The book was ok, but not too well-written as far as my tastes go.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on December 19, 2011, 09:03:43 PM
I've read it, but I like his videos better. The book was ok, but not too well-written as far as my tastes go.

What books do you reccomend by Dawkins? ^_^

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 19, 2011, 09:05:54 PM

The Blind Watchmaker is good. It deals with the falacy that there is 'design' in nature.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 19, 2011, 09:05:54 PM

The Blind Watchmaker is good. It deals with the falacy that there is 'design' in nature.

Sweet. Added to my next read list.