Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Facebook Post

Started by MadBomr101, December 19, 2011, 02:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Quote from: Chronos on December 19, 2011, 11:21:00 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 19, 2011, 04:57:15 AM
I will always retrofit you into everything so that I may praise thy name and cite ...

You should come up with a one-man show, Retrofitting God, styled similarly to the one-woman show, Letting Go of God, but you will examine the backwards deistic fantasies of the hoodwinked.

This...is not a bad idea.  Maybe I can make some money off this atheism thing.  I can do it too because I speak even gooder than I write. 
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Whitney on December 19, 2011, 03:38:43 PM
I think she is a nut and it would be best (since she is a co-worker) to hide her posts from your wall and restrict her from seeing any of your updates.

This woman is nuttier than a bag of trail mix but being her FB friend has been endlessly entertaining.  She has a habit of impulsively posting her most personal thoughts.  Then, an hour later, she deletes the post and posts an apology for having made the first post to begin with.  Those posts typically have to do with sex and men and her inability to get either.

So, for my own amusement I've chosen to keep her, at least until she figures out I'm an atheist and runs for the delete button herself.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on December 19, 2011, 05:57:24 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 19, 2011, 05:40:11 PM
Quote from: Whitney on December 19, 2011, 03:38:43 PM
I think she is a nut and it would be best (since she is a co-worker) to hide her posts from your wall and restrict her from seeing any of your updates.

Or remove her?
I don't understand why people feel the need to add bosses or coworkers to their fb. o__o

Agreed.  Worst idea ever.  There's nothing good that can come about from adding these.

I know, right? It's a recepie for distaster. I actually have heard stories about people getting fired because of what they post on their fb/blog.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 19, 2011, 08:30:09 PM
I know, right? It's a recepie for distaster. I actually have heard stories about people getting fired because of what they post on their fb/blog.

It's very common.  Even if you're not 'friends' with your boss(s) or coworkers, it is still not a good idea to post questionable things on FB.  The fun part is seeing some stuff on my friend's FB page and thinking, "What is Joe thinking??  It's work hours..."  Some people seem hell-bent on displaying every moment of their day, every day.  I don't get it.

Not only that, but it's not uncommon for employers to check on applicant's social networking page.  There's a lot a FB page can tell of a person.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on December 19, 2011, 09:53:35 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 19, 2011, 08:30:09 PM

It's very common.  Even if you're not 'friends' with your boss(s) or coworkers, it is still not a good idea to post questionable things on FB.  The fun part is seeing some stuff on my friend's FB page and thinking, "What is Joe thinking??  It's work hours..."  Some people seem hell-bent on displaying every moment of their day, every day.  I don't get it.

Not only that, but it's not uncommon for employers to check on applicant's social networking page.  There's a lot a FB page can tell of a person.
I know people who close their fb page while looking for jobs.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Well, I don't use my real name for fb, suck on that!!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 19, 2011, 10:02:48 PM
Well, I don't use my real name for fb, suck on that!!

You and me both!  heh.

Gawen

I got rid of FB a year ago. I didn't use it anyway. It was nothing but small talk and bullshit at that. My friends can call or email me.
On top of that, I work for City Government and I really really didn't need to be posting anything on FB. I don't do social networking at all.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

MadBomr101

Quote from: Gawen on December 19, 2011, 10:39:22 PM
I got rid of FB a year ago. I didn't use it anyway. It was nothing but small talk and bullshit at that. My friends can call or email me.
On top of that, I work for City Government and I really really didn't need to be posting anything on FB. I don't do social networking at all.

I'm not a great fan either but a few good things have come out of it for me.  I reconnected with one of my best friends after 18 years and have had the opportunity to chat with several people I admire.
- Bomr

kimberlyfaith81

I used to teach in an Associate Degree Nursing program.  Students would regularly friend request me and other instructors on FB.  I always declined politely and told them they could request again after graduation.  We had an instructor that accepted some requests before he'd thought better of it.  Kind of hurt his feelings when one of his student "friends" updated her status to "Sitting in class.... all I'm hearing is 'blah blah blah blah'.  Will he ever shut up?" while he was lecturing.  Embarassing.  We also caught some students blabbing on FB about patients they had seen.  A strict no-no.  I petitioned for a strict "No FB friending the students" policy after that.  I have a facebook, I use it to reconnect with people from the past.  But I do not understand using it to document your every waking moment.  I don't care if your chilling on the couch, cutting your toenails, detox-ing your colon.  Shut up already.  And I don't know any atheists.  But I know a TON of Xtians.  And I think I've seen more scripture on FB than I saw in church.  Every morning, posting a bible verse.  Thanking god for everything.  Once, my mother was being completely ridiculous and not following her physician's advice.  My father was very understandably upset.  So I called her and spent 45 minutes talking some sense into her.  The next day, dear old dad was on FB thanking God for changing mom's mind.  HELLO!? 

AnimatedDirt

I don't do social networking at all.

Isn't HAF at least a type of social networking?

Gawen

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on December 19, 2011, 10:59:40 PM

Yes, it is. Speaking for myself, you know what forum I hang in for the most part and the amount of "social" posts I generate in the Lounge...comparatively.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Chronos

Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2011, 09:55:34 PM
I know people who close their fb page while looking for jobs.

I don't post anything on Facebook that I wouldn't post on the front page of the Washington Post.

I also periodically purge my Facebook account of postings, photographs and other junk.

Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on December 19, 2011, 10:59:40 PM

I guess it is, but unless you use your full name and post personal details, it isn't as easily traceable, at least not by a more determined company detective or investigator (some do run checks on people that work for them or are applying for the job).  
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Whitney

I just follow the don't post stuff you wouldn't want repeated rule on facebook and anywhere else online.  My involvment in the local freethought community has me out of the closet anyway; so there really isn't anything I need to hide.  I do, however, place very conservative or very religious fb contacts on the limited profile setting (surprisingly few people) so that they can't see or comment on my posts...don't care what they think and don't want to unnecessarily stir someone up; I don't view fb as a good platform for welcoming debates (though I of course can't keep from throwing in my two cents when something does come up).