News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

“Luck isn’t winning six games in a row. It’s favor. God’s favor.”

Started by Gawen, December 14, 2011, 11:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Tim Tebow's pastor, Wayne Hanson, says he knows why the Denver Broncos are 7-1 since installing Tebow as quarterback.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-wetzel_tim_tebow_pastor_faith_121211

Odd. It would be interesting to see how many of the team are evangelicals and have the same amount of faith as Tebow.

From another prospective...The model Lauren Scruggs (the girl who walked into a spinning airplane propeller) parents said she has a personal relationship with Christ. Why didn't Jesus keep her from walking into that prop?

Maybe Jesus likes Denver football better than propellers or Scruggs...
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

OldGit

I've just been reading a book about WW1, in which god was allegedly on everybody's side but failed to prevent about ten million deaths.  In a section on cease-fires an incident is mentioned in which chaplains from both sides held services together in no-man's-land.  I wonder which side he looked after in the next attack.v ???

Too Few Lions

Quote from: OldGit on December 14, 2011, 11:49:47 AM
I've just been reading a book about WW1, in which god was allegedly on everybody's side but failed to prevent about ten million deaths. 
maybe Yahweh just delights in war and carnage, he certainly seems to in the Old Testament!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 14, 2011, 12:50:58 PM
I've just been reading a book about WW1, in which god was allegedly on everybody's side but failed to prevent about ten million deaths.
maybe Yahweh just delights in war and carnage, he certainly seems to in the Old Testament!

No, god is too busy making sure that a football team wins over another. Why bother with preventing evil? Pfft.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 14, 2011, 02:12:17 PM

No, god is too busy making sure that a football team wins over another. Why bother with preventing evil? Pfft.

Fun fact: during the first winter of the war, in 1914, on Christmas day the English and German soldiers met on the No-Man's Land and celebrated Christmas, and also played a football game which the Germans actaully won ;) Pity that ended up being the the last of a kind, since the high commands didn't like this "deterioration of moral".... :-\ But I love the story, and love the fact that it is a fact  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

OldGit

That certainly happened, and the top brass certainly didn't like it and banned it; nevertheless there were many isolated instances in limited areas in the following years.

There was a lot of this sort of thing in the American Civil War and, I believe, in Wellington's Peninsular campaign.  No doubt it's common in stand-off and siege situations where the troops don't just arrive and clash, but live close to each other for some time.

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on December 14, 2011, 03:09:32 PM

Well, the KKK would probably attribute it to their version of the Westboro Baptist message, at least as far as this particular image is concerned.

What is so wrong, by the way, in taking some effing pride in one's own skills, tactics and such? Superioriority in those is what wins six games in a row, not gods.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on December 14, 2011, 03:53:59 PM
Quote from: Davin on December 14, 2011, 03:09:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qn7kJ.jpg
Well, the KKK would probably attribute it to their version of the Westboro Baptist message, at least as far as this particular image is concerned.
You're right, the kid isn't white and Tebow is.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

While the Lord does work in mysterious ways ( that's to say I don't understand everything that happens and why...I don't care to argue the point as the answer is really, 'I don't know'. )  ( and thank you Davin ) I would like to mention that in some things it seems rather presumptuous of a person to believe that it is "in God's will" that they win a game.  Case in point is the reality show, Survivor and especially this season.  There is one individual that is a 'born again Christian'.  There is obviously a huge battle going on within himself between what he wants to do and what he does.  What bothers me, though, is not the fact he prays and puts his life in God's hands, but that he thinks God is with him to win this GAME OF DECEPTION AND LYING.

Now that's not to say they cannot pray for strength and all that good stuff, but in one episode, they made the claim that God was on their side when they won...silly IMHO.

On the Tebow end, I'm not certain he is attributing the wins to God exactly.  I don't have all his quotes to the media, but the ones I've heard don't seem to make that claim.  I could be wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with thanking God for your own blessings.  A win in a game is a blessing, but whether it is DIRECTLY a result of God's hand moving on the game is another discussion all together...and one I would be on the side that it was more a result of training, skill...all of which are things that we are blessed to have and which are also a result of keeping true to our vision in life, our goals, and our love.  God is the big center of our life so on one hand we can rightly thank Him for everything but to say God directly intervened so that "I" would win this game....I don't think so.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: history_geek on December 14, 2011, 03:30:33 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 14, 2011, 02:12:17 PM

Fun fact: during the first winter of the war, in 1914, on Christmas day the English and German soldiers met on the No-Man's Land and celebrated Christmas, and also played a football game which the Germans actaully won ;) Pity that ended up being the the last of a kind, since the high commands didn't like this "deterioration of moral".... :-\ But I love the story, and love the fact that it is a fact  ;D

somewhat related fact: The last person killed in first world war was a Canadian soldier named George Lawrence Prince. He was killed by a German sniper TWO MINUTES before the armistice was officially called. That God, he's got a zany sense of humour!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Are we doing WW1 stuff?

QuoteThe last successful offensive cavalry charge in history was not conducted by cavalry at all, but rather by mounted infantry, when on 31 October 1917, the Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade charged across two miles of open terrain in the face of Ottoman artillery and machine gun fire to successfully capture Beersheba in what would come to be known as the Battle of Beersheba.

Some ridiculous number of our horses went to WW1, one came home, the blokes didn't do to well either.

QuoteFor Australia, as for many nations, the First World War remains the most costly conflict in terms of deaths and casualties. From a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of which over 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner.

Heisenberg

I despise everything Tim Tebow stands for. Ok maybe not everything, just the fact that he can't do one interview without fuckin mentioning god and the fact that he has no talent yet gets more press than any other American athlete fivefold.

Anyone who honestly believes that god is helping the Broncos win football games needs to be cracked in the skull a few times.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon