News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hymns

Started by keithpenrod, December 07, 2011, 06:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithpenrod

I think that perhaps one misconception people have had as I tell them I'm atheist is that it means that I have to leave behind all of the things I embraced as a believer, but I don't think that's necessary. 

In particular, I'd like to talk about religious music.  I really like church music.  I've developed the habit of singing hymns and other songs while washing dishes, cleaning the house, driving in the car, and other random times when my hands are busy but my mouth isn't.  And I like it.  Every once in a while I'll catch myself singing praises to god or about how lovely the spring morning was when Joseph Smith first saw god and Jesus.  Sometimes, I wonder if I should try to avoid singing songs like that. 

But, I've decided that I don't necessarily need to believe in god in order to sing songs about him, and singing songs about him doesn't necessarily indicate that I do believe.  I sing songs about Puff the magic dragon, the phantom of the opera, Santa Claus, and lots of other things that I've actually never believed were real (ok, so maybe I did believe in Santa when I was a kid--I really don't remember because my parents never really played up the Santa thing).  Singing "Santa Claus is coming to town" doesn't indicate that I think there really is a fat man in a red suit who delivers toys to children all over the world in one night.  So, I don't think that singing about a boy born in a manger should indicate that I believe he was truly divine. 

I suppose the more general picture here is that I think that good things can be taken from religion, and that there's nothing hypocritical about me claiming there's no god and simultaneously acknowledging the good that comes from believers.  They write beautiful music and paint beautiful paintings. 

Thoughts?

Davin

If you like doing it, then do it because you like doing it. Being an atheist shouldn't be a reason to not do something you enjoy doing. If it doesn't unreasonably harm any one else and you enjoy doing it, then I say that you should do it. I had sung the hymns for several years after becoming an atheist, I really don't see any harm in it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: keithpenrod on December 07, 2011, 06:45:36 PM
Thoughts?

I've known a number of atheists who not only like religious music, but sing in church choirs.  And George Carlin himself once said that the music was the only good thing about religion.  Altho I don't remember many of the words from hymns I learned in my religious (or at least trying to be religious) days, I enjoy them when I hear them again and I do love religious Xmas carols.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pharaoh Cat

We could start to gather hymns that make no mention of God.  Here's an example, Calypso by John Denver: http://youtu.be/-ZonmQZG0GQ
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Siz

The thing about religious art - particularly Christian - is that it was always the best artists that money could buy that were commissioned.

So it's hardly surprising that some of the best music (or paintings or whatever) is religious.
I have no shame in enjoying Christmas songs because they are great.

Just like I can take the good traditions of Christmas time to enjoy the holiday, I can also enjoy the music which I too sing with gusto.

So, sing away with impunity, Keith, and I'll join in...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

not your typical...

It sounds to me like you're giving yourself what we theists call 'religious shackles'. Don't let anything stop you from doing what you want. If you wanna sing hymns at the top of your lungs, then go for it! ;D
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 08:30:25 PM
It sounds to me like you're giving yourself what we theists call 'religious shackles'. Don't let anything stop you from doing what you want. If you wanna sing hymns at the top of your lungs, then go for it! ;D

Absolutely.  I'm still at the point of singing along with Xmas carols on the radio and tho it gets me some weird looks (esp in the grocery store), what the heck?
Sandy

not your typical...

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 07, 2011, 08:33:04 PM
Absolutely.  I'm still at the point of singing along with Xmas carols on the radio and tho it gets me some weird looks (esp in the grocery store), what the heck?
Really small town and everyone knows ur an atheist?
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Sandra Craft

Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 08:34:37 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 07, 2011, 08:33:04 PM
Really small town and everyone knows ur an atheist?

Oh heck no, big international city where everybody keeps to themselves and only crazy people sing in public.
Sandy

not your typical...

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 07, 2011, 08:38:58 PM
Oh heck no, big international city where everybody keeps to themselves and only crazy people sing in public.
Ahhh. Never got caught singing by myself in public, although I have this horrid tendency to walk around talking to myself. Gets me all kinds of weird reactions.

Buddy

While, I don't mind hymns, I don't really like to listen to them. Though, it's more to do with the music style rather than content. Now, if one were to remix a house music style, then I would listen to it.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

not your typical...

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 09:11:22 PM
While, I don't mind hymns, I don't really like to listen to them. Though, it's more to do with the music style rather than content. Now, if one were to remix a house music style, then I would listen to it.
Haha. I don't know so much about house music, but if you like metal try this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWinbi7kQVY

Buddy

Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 09:14:34 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 09:11:22 PM
Haha. I don't know so much about house music, but if you like metal try this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWinbi7kQVY

HHHHNNNGG iloveit
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

not your typical...

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 09:23:59 PM
HHHHNNNGG iloveit
Kyehehe. I know, they're amazing, right? His screams are soooo..... I can't wait to get that good. My screams are shit, and cause me to eat half a big bag of Ricola and drink a gallon of water in 30 minutes.

Buddy

Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 09:25:59 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 09:23:59 PM
HHHHNNNGG iloveit
Kyehehe. I know, they're amazing, right? His screams are soooo..... I can't wait to get that good. My screams are shit, and cause me to eat half a big bag of Ricola and drink a gallon of water in 30 minutes.

Pfft. I'm a soprano, and my voice is soo soft. I would probably make a good hymn singer XD

*Edit, typo XD