News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Body Worlds

Started by hismikeness, December 05, 2011, 09:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

Has anyone seen the traveling exhibit called Body Worlds? I had a chance to see one of their many exhibits this past weekend at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) and was blown away.  :o

The real human bodies are donated and then plastinated, which is a process that preserves the tissues in their natural form in plastic. The bodies are then posed in different positions, revealing the many intricacies which lie just below the skin. To make it more real, and less gruesome, they add eyeballs, lips and the skin around the tips of the nose, as well as some hair.

The exhibit I saw focused on the brain and brain injuries, and I believe is the newest of all the iterations. It really was fascinating. If you get a chance to see this or any other Body Worlds exhibit, I can't recommend it enough.

Here are some examples:

They even have some animals. I've seen pictures of bodies posed on horses, and the one at OMSI had a full size giraffe.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Buddy

I've been to that! It's what got me interested in taxidermy.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ecurb Noselrub

I saw a similar exhibit in Texas.  There was some criticism that some of the bodies were taken from prisoners in China, but I didn't see any indication that anyone had been put to death for this purpose.  It was very interesting.

hismikeness

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 05, 2011, 09:27:21 PM
I saw a similar exhibit in Texas.  There was some criticism that some of the bodies were taken from prisoners in China, but I didn't see any indication that anyone had been put to death for this purpose.  It was very interesting.

It was made pretty clear from the literature of this exhibit that no identification or cause of death was given out. There were a couple of displays that still had some skin on the hands, and I could see tatoos on the webs of skin between the thumb and index fingers, which could possibly be prison tatoos?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Not been to one of these yet, but I would love to. The chap who does this did a programme on anatomy on Channel 4 in the UK and was the first time that an autopsy was shown on UK TV.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

not your typical...

Seen it. Hated it. Not a big fan of studying anatomy. Kinda reminds me of a sad fact... :P
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

squidfetish

I've always wanted to visit one of these....
reptilian overlord

squidfetish

Out of interest, would any of you consider donating your festering cadaver to this sort of display?
reptilian overlord

Buddy

Quote from: squidfetish on December 12, 2011, 12:05:21 PM
Out of interest, would any of you consider donating your festering cadaver to this sort of display?

Yes. It would either be this or being cremated. I would love for my body to be put to good use.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Matthaios

Bit too gruesome for me (I get squeamish very easily!) but my wife (who's a medical student) would probably love it! 
Matthaios

Tank

I hadn't but I think I would rather it go to medical use.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xm1

Only if i was offered a newer version in trade.

Crocoduck

QuoteRaj: We just got back from that exhibit of those plasticised human cadavers.

Howard: And some of those skinless chicks were hot.

The Big Bang Theory Series 2 Episode 01 – The Bad Fish Paradigm
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank