News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Straightedge

Started by not your typical..., November 12, 2011, 01:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Hey. There was a debate/large argument on whether only Christians are straightedge, and that Atheist have no reason to be. Personally, I know a few Atheist who are s/e but I know more who aren't. i just wanted to see your opinions to prove my side. (Not allowed to say where I stand for fear it would 'influence your votes'. I'll probably post my answer later though. ;))
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

BullyforBronto

I am not straight edge. Actually, whiskey's my favorite beverage.

That said, I do enjoy the occasional Gorilla Biscuits song.

not your typical...

Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 12, 2011, 01:28:20 AM
whiskey's my favorite beverage.
I don't see anything wrong with that so long as you don't drink and drive.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

DeterminedJuliet

I have some friends who considered themselves straightedge when they were in junior high/high school. They did the whole black "X"s on their hands and everything. As far as I know, they had no real affiliation with Christianity. Maybe they were Christian, but that never seemed to be their "reason". The impression that I got was always that they felt uncomfortable with drinking/drugs and this was a way for them to form their own group without it.

I voted that it's bull. I don't really have an issue with people who don't drink or do drugs, but I don't see why you need to form a whole identity with "rules" around it. I might be wrong, so correct me if I am, I was always told that the premise around "straightedge" was that you don't want to "pollute your body" . But what does that even mean? When it comes to being healthy, there are HUGE grey areas.

I mean, alcohol and drugs might seem obvious, but what about caffiene? What about over the counter drugs? What about preservatives and additives in food? What about processed food? What about gluten, I hear that's the devil now?

I think I'd find it to make a lot more sense if all "straightedgers" were holistic vegans, or something. Drawing the line at alcohol and "drugs" seems so arbitrary.

Keep in mind that the people I grew up with who were straight edge were also pretty obnoxious about it, so that may have left a bitter taste in my mouth. The fact that every single one of them, now that we're out of highschool, has given it up completely probably doesn't make it seem that much more credible to my mind.

So I'm a bit biased.  

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

not your typical...

DeterminedJuliet, I can see your point. I've never come in contact with that sub-species of straightedger, and good thing... They probably would have been punched or worse. And as for the polluting your body thing, I guess they mean not being under the influence of anything, just my guess. Also, most straightedgers I've dealt with have a big thing against premarital sex.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 01:44:04 AM
DeterminedJuliet, I can see your point. I've never come in contact with that sub-species of straightedger, and good thing... They probably would have been punched or worse. And as for the polluting your body thing, I guess they mean not being under the influence of anything, just my guess. Also, most straightedgers I've dealt with have a big thing against premarital sex.

No premarital sex? I think I like the sounds of it even less now.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

not your typical...

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 01:56:52 AM
hahaha! Yeah, a good friend of mine's mother once told us, "Don't settle and buy the car until you test-drive the merchandise and make sure everything is functioning properly." Then proceeded to tell us to take that whatever way we pleased. I don't think she's ever blushed that hard, nor had I laughed that hard before.  ;D

Whitney

what counts as straightedge?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 02:01:02 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 01:56:52 AM
hahaha! Yeah, a good friend of mine's mother once told us, "Don't settle and buy the car until you test-drive the merchandise and make sure everything is functioning properly." Then proceeded to tell us to take that whatever way we pleased. I don't think she's ever blushed that hard, nor had I laughed that hard before.  ;D

I know a couple who were very religious and waited to have sex until they got married. It turns out that they were COMPLETELY incompatible in the boudoir and they annoyed the ever-lovin'-fuck out of each other when they had to actually live under one roof. They were high school sweethearts and had been dating for 7 years, but their marriage only lasted a year and a half.

I always say that you should live with someone for at least a year before you even think of getting married (if you even want to). It's a good litmus test for being able to tolerate each other on a day-to-day basis.

not your typical...

Quote from: Whitney on November 12, 2011, 02:04:00 AM
what counts as straightedge?
No drinking and no smoking. If you would like to include no premarital sex, feel free. I do, but i know others who don't.
And DJ, I agree with the living together one year rule. :)

Whitney

oh ok..

no...I don't see the point in not doing any of those things ever.  Moderation and discretion is important though (for health's sake).

...and I totally have a glass of wine on my desk while writing this.

not your typical...

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on November 12, 2011, 02:23:06 AM
I'm an alcoholic who has been sober for a little over 5 years.
Congrats on 5 years sobriety. :) Really touching story. I get why you had a hard time choosing in between those.
And Whitney, lol. Nice.  ;D

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on November 12, 2011, 02:23:06 AM
I voted that I'm straightedge, but not by choice. I almost voted that I'm proud of it but that doesn't really fit for me most of the time. I don't know what all goes into being "straightedge" so I'll just say I'm sober.

I used to smoke pot with friends occasionally when I was bored, mainly because I love the smell and the ritual of it. It never did anything for me, however.

I'm an alcoholic who has been sober for a little over 5 years. For a long time I was really SUPER strict about it: I wouldn't eat desserts or sauces with alcohol in them, I wouldn't take Nyquil, etc. I was afraid the taste and/or smell of the tiniest bit of alcohol would trigger me. Now that I have 5 years under my belt I feel more comfortable in my sobriety and have become less neurotic about that stuff.

I think this is different, though. A recovering alcoholic trying to do the responsible thing is vastly different than people who take sharpies to their hands in "straight edge" pride

Whitney

if they want to be straight edge they shouldn't dress in that preppy emo punk look....they should wear slacks and the girls should wear long dresses.

not your typical...

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 02:33:33 AM
I think this is different, though. A recovering alcoholic trying to do the responsible thing is vastly different than people who take sharpies to their hands in "straight edge" pride

Well, I don't believe that being straightedge is just limited to those kinds, since, like I said previously, I never dealt with that type of straightedger, but I know people who consider themselves straightedge. and with the whole recovering alcoholic thing, that's partially the reason I put up the 'not by choice' answer.
And not all straightedgers do the no premarital sex thing. Just some.