News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Jokes Thread (Was named Anyone know any good jokes ? I'll start :D )

Started by no_god_know_peace, November 10, 2011, 12:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Buddy on September 24, 2019, 11:10:01 PM

I've shared this joke with 3 people already. Twice in English, once I had to translate it to Spanish, and I also had to explain the "X men powers."  :blahblah:
...The point is, all three said it was a good joke.  :lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

You are not alone DL.  I was once able to do mental math at an impressive rate..........not so much anymore. 

One of the gimmicks that I use when having an insomnia episode is to lie in the dark and do mental math.  That sure enough erases any other concerns that I might have about the troubles in our world or on a more personal basis, my concern about my own destiny. It works for me.

I am a really old dude who is understandably concerned about his mental capacity.  I mess around with math and physics problems in an effort to keep my increasingly atrophied brain somewhat useful.  I think of it as a kind of mental calisthenics.  Actually it is kind of fun.

Dark Lightning

Family nerd trait, I guess, in my case. One of my sons took AP Calculus in HS, and was on the swim and water polo teams. He used to integrate homework problems in his head while doing the backstroke because it's boring to just swim.

One thing- well, two things- about memory, that I read about when younger when I didn't really have a memory problem but just wanted to improve, was that the intent to remember is important, and attention. I learned this trick from a guy- when someone introduces themselves to you, ask their name again in a couple of minutes, with the excuse that you're terrible with names. When you ask again, you have your full attention on the name because you've initiated the intent to remember.

I knew guys at university who simply stayed up all night cramming for exams, and then promptly forgot the information. I knew that the material I was studying was important for my eventual higher education and paid attention and kept it fresh. This one guy had the nerve in second-semester calculus to ask the prof, "How long to we need to know this?". I said, "For the rest of your life." The prof came over and shook my hand.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 04, 2019, 01:13:15 AM
One thing- well, two things- about memory, that I read about when younger when I didn't really have a memory problem but just wanted to improve, was that the intent to remember is important, and attention.

That is true.  :thumbsup: A little stress also helps consolidate memory, but not too much. Too much stress makes your mind go blank.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 05, 2019, 03:13:32 PM
One thing- well, two things- about memory, that I read about when younger when I didn't really have a memory problem but just wanted to improve, was that the intent to remember is important, and attention.

That is true.  :thumbsup: A little stress also helps consolidate memory, but not too much. Too much stress makes your mind go blank.

So true. Our kitchen being replaced for first time in 40 yrs. Messy house, messy brain.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

hermes2015

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 06, 2019, 10:34:46 PM

So true. Our kitchen being replaced for first time in 40 yrs. Messy house, messy brain.

Now that's an activity that piques my interest. Please share some details and photos. Do you have an island?

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/kitchen-triangle-best-way-to-design-a-kitchen
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 07, 2019, 05:17:09 AM

Now that's an activity that piques my interest. Please share some details and photos. Do you have an island?

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/kitchen-triangle-best-way-to-design-a-kitchen

You should have been an architect, Hermes.  :P

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2019, 05:45:03 AM

Well, you've hit on one of my few regrets in life. So many of my heroes are architects and designers. On the other hand, had I become an architect, I would have wished I'd become a scientist.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

The working triangle is a very old idea. Blacksmiths used it for centuries with the forge, anvil, and vice set in a triangle a few steps away from each other. Time is the enemy with hot metal so having the three things you need most laid out as efficiently as possible is key.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 07, 2019, 08:06:16 AM

Well, you've hit on one of my few regrets in life. So many of my heroes are architects and designers. On the other hand, had I become an architect, I would have wished I'd become a scientist.

Do you design molecules? :tellmemore:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 12:25:51 AM

Yes, I used to design molecules as model compounds to test certain hypotheses when I was doing research for my Masters and PhD degrees. I even managed to create the first stable example of a class of compounds (iodoformates), which were previously though too unstable to survive after formation. I think I was attracted to organic chemistry owing to my interest in designing 3D things. Organic chemistry is like miniature architecture, where the bricks are atoms and the cement is covalent bonding.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

I'm impressed! OC is one of the tougher disciplines, based on what I saw undergrads going through.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 08, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
I'm impressed! OC is one of the tougher disciplines, based on what I saw undergrads going through.

Thanks, but I took to it like a fish to water, thanks to being taught the mechanistic approach, where one just has to consider how electrons move in a molecule. That is totally opposite to the old, hated, approach of having to memorize reactions like recipes. That is why students struggle with it at some university departments that don't teach it in a logical way. I liked it because if one does it mechanistically, it's only necessary to learn a few basic principles that can then be applied to solve almost any problem.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 08, 2019, 04:50:12 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 12:25:51 AM

Yes, I used to design molecules as model compounds to test certain hypotheses when I was doing research for my Masters and PhD degrees. I even managed to create the first stable example of a class of compounds (iodoformates), which were previously though too unstable to survive after formation. I think I was attracted to organic chemistry owing to my interest in designing 3D things. Organic chemistry is like miniature architecture, where the bricks are atoms and the cement is covalent bonding.

It's like miniature architecture only much harder. ;) Respect.  8)

I took OC as an undergrad and the professor insisted we learnt the reactions by heart. Obviously, OC was not one of my favourite disciplines.  :-\

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2019, 12:08:13 AM
I took OC as an undergrad and the professor insisted we learnt the reactions by heart. Obviously, OC was not one of my favourite disciplines.  :-\

Well, there's your problem. If your prof had taught the mechanistic approach, you might have been an organic chemist today.
― Charles Eames