News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Quick hello

Started by xm1, November 09, 2011, 07:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xm1

Im just a middle age guy in west michigan that writes code during the day and games in the evening.  I used to read the ethical atheist board a few years ago and now looking around for new stuff to read.  I'm not one to post very much and usually just lurk around and read through old threads.  I was born and raised baptist, so i have quite a strong religious background.  Did Awana up until i was 14.  My father did his studies to become a preacher.  I prayed as a child with my mother to be saved and again as a teen with the pastor of my church.

Today I am atheist.  Not agnostic or somehow on the fence about anything.  Today I am certain. Due in small part to the life I lived in the beginning, and the mental, spiritual, and physical rewards it gave me and my family for our dedication to the baptist church.  Which amounted to exactly nothing.

Hello to you all, thanks for reading.  Ill be poking around in here for awhile :)

Tank

Hi xm1

Glad you took the time to sign up.

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, xm1. Thanks for mentioning Awana. I hadn't heard of it before, but it seems to be a nice going concern, with uniforms and everything. ::) On reading up about it, though they say they're involved with "over 100 denominations" they sound like pretty straight-forward Baptists to me. That actually wouldn't be a contradiction, since as far as I know, there might be over 100 denominations of Baptists.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Jojo77

Hello xm1,
Welcome. I am new as well. I can relate with your experience and in reading see there are a good handful with simular backround and experience. I find it quite interesting.
~Enjoy this moment, it may be your last. ~

xm1

Quote from: Recusant on November 10, 2011, 03:09:55 AM
Hello and welcome to HAF, xm1. Thanks for mentioning Awana. I hadn't heard of it before, but it seems to be a nice going concern, with uniforms and everything. ::) On reading up about it, though they say they're involved with "over 100 denominations" they sound like pretty straight-forward Baptists to me. That actually wouldn't be a contradiction, since as far as I know, there might be over 100 denominations of Baptists.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.

Just to scratch the surface of an old wound i can tell you my definition of a baptist.

If one of the members of your church is forced to make the decision to divorce an abusive and dangerous husband to save herself and her two children, and instead of comforting her or offering assitance, you confront her with the church committee and request an apology from her for seeking a divorce, before the congregation and christ, or be removed from church membership; then you might be a baptist.

This is what happened to my mother.  And it was just the start for us both on our journey away from religion.

The thing the bothers me the most is when christians hear about this and act all appalled and shocked.  "Oh our church would never do that its not the christian way".  Yeah today things might be different, but roll the clock back to the late 70s and you find this would be a typical response in most baptist churches.  At least in the mid west.  Roll the clock back 100 years ago and what do you think your church would do if a woman among them was seeking a divorce?  Today's easy going liberal minded churches are the product of tons of changes and restructuring and struggling in the face of failure, and people constantly bucking the system away from hard line biblical inspired points of view to an acceptance of modern lifestyles.  Most kids in their teens and twenties don't get this.  Many see their church as the way churches have just always been.

My memories of awana are fairly decent fortunately.  I was not well behaved and my crown only ever had the only sparkly in it because i always shredded and scribbled in my book instead of reading it.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

QuoteIf one of the members of your church is forced to make the decision to divorce an abusive and dangerous husband to save herself and her two children, and instead of comforting her or offering assitance, you confront her with the church committee and request an apology from her for seeking a divorce, before the congregation and christ, or be removed from church membership; then you might be a baptist.

Wow, that sucks. It's really amazing to hear that such things still go on these days. How these churches and congregations want or feel entitled to respect is beyond me. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey