News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Top 10 signs of evolution in Modern Man.

Started by Tank, November 07, 2011, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Top 10 signs of evolution in Modern Man.

QuoteThrough history, as natural selection played its part in the development of modern man, many of the useful functions and parts of the human body become unnecessary. What is most fascinating is that many of these parts of the body still remain in some form so we can see the progress of evolution. This list covers the ten most significant evolutionary changes that have taken place – leaving signs behind them...

So you make a list of as many as you can, THEN look at the list below to see how many you knew and the in your post add the one's that were not on this top ten!

NOW look at the list below  ;D

Goose Bumps
Jacobson's Organ
Junk DNA
Extra Ear Muscles
Plantaris Muscle
Wisdom Teeth
Third Eyelid
Darwin's Point
Coccyx
Appendix
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Cool!
I was only really aware of wisdom teeth and appendix.
How about nipples on males?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 07, 2011, 11:27:34 AM
Cool!
I was only really aware of wisdom teeth and appendix.
How about nipples on males?
I think that would be one to add.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

As I understand it we've retained body hair in special areas so we don't waste our oh so attractive scent.  

For many of us we are receiving but our brains aren't interpreting goodness.

Napoleon supposedly sent a note to Josephine, "don't wash, I'll be home in three days."
But he had a more or less French nose.

Anyway scents seem to work for many animals, probably used to for us but not so effective now I think.

OldGit

Asmodean

We also have some rests of a tail, even though we an't really see it in the vast majority of people.

And let us not forget the stages of foetus in gestation... A lot of ancient shool shit going on there.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on November 07, 2011, 12:54:27 PM
http://www.sirc.org/publik/smell_attract.html

http://www.mendeley.com/research/regulation-ovulation-human-pheromones/

I've heard that part of the reason why taking birth-control pills can affect a woman's sex drive is because it inhibits her ability to detects pheromones from her partner. It makes sense to me. When I was taking them, I often thought that my partner didn't quite smell "right", but I thought I was just being nuts (I only read about this effect afterwards).

On a related note, I really wish every teenage boy in the world would stop wearing Axe. Despite what the ads tell you, that stuff is truly repulsive.

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 07, 2011, 03:16:46 PM
Would tonsils also qualify?
Hmmm, good point. They used to be a real problem before anti-biotics. But I don't know whether those problems arose from diatary issues in a post agricultural society leading to unnaturally large aggragations of humans cross infecting each other. Don't know.

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Asmodean on November 07, 2011, 01:25:55 PM
And let us not forget the stages of foetus in gestation... A lot of ancient shool shit going on there.

You have to be careful of citing Ernst Haeckel's recapitulation theory, though.

Asmodean

Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 07, 2011, 03:44:33 PM

"ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny"..? No, I would not in all seriousness cite that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Asmodean on November 07, 2011, 03:55:14 PM
Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 07, 2011, 03:44:33 PM

"ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny"..? No, I would not in all seriousness cite that.

Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of citing it.  I've just seen it come up before in correlation with a similar topic.   ;)

Asmodean

Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 07, 2011, 04:25:58 PM
Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of citing it.  I've just seen it come up before in correlation with a similar topic.   ;)
I see how it might, but then I have done my homework in that particular area of biology since I found that particular theory vastly fascinating. Introduced to it after watching some movie about mutated sharks... What was it called again..? Can't remember...

EDIT: Creature. I think the movie was called "Creature". It was from the late nineties, methink.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.