News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Research reveals autistic individuals are in fact superior in multiple areas

Started by Tank, November 03, 2011, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Research reveals autistic individuals are in fact superior in multiple areas

QuoteWe must stop considering the different brain structure of autistic individuals to be a deficiency, as research reveals that many autistics – not just "savants" – have qualities and abilities that may exceed those of people who do not have the condition, according to a provocative article published today in Nature by Dr. Laurent Mottron at the University of Montreal's Centre for Excellence in Pervasive Development Disorders. "Recent data and my own personal experience suggest it's time to start thinking of autism as an advantage in some spheres, not a cross to bear," Mottron said.

Mottron's research team has strongly established and replicated the abilities and sometimes superiorities of autistics in multiple cognitive operations such as perception and reasoning, as have others. His group includes several autistics, and one of them, Michelle Dawson, is a particular success. Dawson makes major contributions to our understanding of the condition through her work and her judgment. "Michelle challenged my scientific perception of autism," Mottron explained. Dawson's insight is the interpretation of autistic strengths as the manifestation of authentic intelligence rather than a kind of trick of the brain that allows them to mindlessly perform intelligent tasks. "It's amazing to me that for decades scientists have estimated the magnitude of mental retardation based on the administration of inappropriate tests, and on the misinterpretation of autistic strengths," Mottron added.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Autism is an enormously wide spectrum.  Through the charity I volunteer for, I know a young autistic man who cannot speak, seems to have little appreciation of his surroundings and not to notice the existence of other people.  He can only go out in the company of two professional carers who hold handles on a special belt he wears.  That's the really serious end.

I also know several others more like this Michelle Dawson, who have real abilities and should not be dismissed or undervalued.  You simply can't generalise.

BullyforBronto

My oldest son, who is on the moderate/severe side of the autism spectrum, is hyperlexic and light-years ahead of his neurotypical peers when it comes to reading and memorization skills. However, at five-years-old, he is still learning to talk, pull his pants up and down, engage with others, etc. He also has difficulty recognizing danger. For example, if you let go of his hand after getting out of a car, he will not hesitate to bolt into the street with little concern for oncoming traffic.

There is no doubt that he has "qualities and abilities that may exceed those of people who do not have the condition." But, the negative symptoms of his disability are quite debilitating. That said, though autism makes his life difficult, we and his therapists are able to play off of his literacy skills in order to motivate him to learn everyday life skills.

Interesting article, Tank. Thanks for posting it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 03, 2011, 12:12:06 PM
My oldest son, who is on the moderate/severe side of the autism spectrum, is hyperlexic and light-years ahead of his neurotypical peers when it comes to reading and memorization skills. However, at five-years-old, he is still learning to talk, pull his pants up and down, engage with others, etc. He also has difficulty recognizing danger. For example, if you let go of his hand after getting out of a car, he will not hesitate to bolt into the street with little concern for oncoming traffic.

There is no doubt that he has "qualities and abilities that may exceed those of people who do not have the condition." But, the negative symptoms of his disability are quite debilitating. That said, though autism makes his life difficult, we and his therapists are able to play off of his literacy skills in order to motivate him to learn everyday life skills.

Chances are that as he gets older though, many of those more debilitating aspects will start to subside as he slowly catches up or nearly catches up to his peers. He'll still be light years ahead in some areas, though ;D

Edited to add: Be careful with the kinds of teachers he has, there are some incredibly stupid people out there. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

BullyforBronto

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 03, 2011, 05:05:15 PM
Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 03, 2011, 12:12:06 PM

Chances are that as he gets older though, many of those more debilitating aspects will start to subside as he slowly catches up or nearly catches up to his peers. He'll still be light years ahead in some areas, though ;D

Edited to add: Be careful with the kinds of teachers he has, there are some incredibly stupid people out there. ::)

I hope so. Thanks, xSilverPhinx.
As for his teachers, yes, we've switched schools once already. Between 25 hrs. of therapy (occupational, speech and ABA) per week and school, he's making great strides. Maturation has definitely also helped a bit.

One thing that doesn't help (and this may be a bit off topic) is private health insurance. We really need socialized medicine in the U.S. You wouldn't believe how much time I spend fighting with those insurance bastards! I've had to report my insurance company to the state regulatory body more than once!