News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Didn't get the job

Started by rlrose328, October 25, 2007, 10:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

I'm bummed... I applied for an admin asst job in the city next to ours.  It was a part-time position (20 hrs a week) just to get back to work after 7 years raising my son.  I was a clerical supervisor and office manager before I had my son.

I got the letter today... they regretted that they will be proceeding in the interview process without me.

Ugh.  I'm very bummed.  I was really looking forward to getting back to work with a city job part-time.  The job announcement read like my resume!  I was afraid they'd think I was overqualified... and I guess I was right.  There's no other explanation... unless they KNEW who they wanted already.  Oh well...

I'm going with my fallback... getting a medical transcription certificate.  We'll see how THAT goes.   :)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Will

Hmmm.. well they're idiots, obviously. Totally screwed the pooch by not choosing to go with the best candidate. I'm sure in a few months they'll be begging you to come on board, but it'll be too late because you'll be transcribing medical reports for a lot more money than they were going to pay.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

Ahhh... willravel, you always know the right thing to say.  :D
**Kerri**

Squid

Don't feel bad.  You'd be surprised how often judgements are made not upon someone's qualifications but on other ridiculous criteria like if they can make a great cup of coffee, their college buddy needs a paying gig, they sound good on the phone or has a good bust size (yes, even in this day and age of politcal correctness folks, it still happens...a lot).

I've applied to many places around here and in Austin.  I'm looking to get out of the crap job I have now and get something that pays better or is more willing to work with my schedule.

I interviewed for a media tech job and I didn't get the job.  No letter, no phone call, nothing.  Just a "filled" label on the online application site when I checked it.

Finding anything that pays somewhat decently is a pain in the ass.  But I could waltz into Target and get a job at the drop of a hat (they love college grads - putting them to work fulltime for crap pay).

rlrose328

The more I think about it, the more I think they had someone they wanted to give the job to but because it's a city job, they had to post it.  They didn't call me, never spoke to me at all, ask me if I feel I'm overqualified (which they couldn't come right out and ask, but they could have contact me anyway), or whatever.

There's a job out there for me... I've got the 20 years of life experience thing happ'nin here, no degree.  We'll see... medical transcription pays pretty good and I can still drive my son to school AND pick him up, so that would work great.  No benefits which I was hoping to get because the kid needs braces in a year or two, but at least the extra money from MedTrans would pay for the braces anyway without dipping into savings, so it's all good.
**Kerri**

Steve Reason

I'm sending evil thoughts their way.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

SteveS

Keep at it rlrose328 - something will pan out.  Best of luck!

Whitney

Rlrose...if it makes you feel any better almost everyone in my graduating class was turned down at most of the places they applied.  I think sometimes hiring has more to do with if you know the right people and if you dress and look the right way than it does with qualifications.

For instance, the worst student of our graduating class (and likely the worst in the entire architectural college) ended up with the highest paying job.

Good luck with finding work you can enjoy.

rlrose328

Thanks for the support, everybody.  I'm looking at the med trans certificate courses, the wife of a guy at my husband's job does it already and has more that she can do so she is going to refer me when the certificate is complete, and we'll go from there.  I type over 100 wpm and I can do it at home, so it's a win/win all around.

I'll let you all know what happens.  :-)
**Kerri**

BleedingOrchid

A medical certificate is really going to help you a lot. So many medical jobs need to be filled that they'd be foolish not to hire you, rose!
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

rlrose328

Hey thanks, BleedingOrchid!  

Just an update (thanks for bumping this!)... I started my medical transcription course this week!  It's an 18 month diploma course, not just a certificate, and it's a LOT LOT LOT of work!!  Once I got the dozen books required and saw the first syllabus, I'm like WHOA, what have I gotten myself into!  

I've been a stay at home mom, not having to think much beyond potty training and making school lunches for 7 years now... so I'm really having to retrain my brain, ya know?  Any tips from students, especially return to school MOM students, would be happily received!  :-)
**Kerri**

Whitney

my study habits were never the best...i tend to wait till the last minute study.  I would simply suggest reading your material as many times as possible....the more you read it the more the info will set in.  The only way I've really ever studied is simply by re-reading my materials.  Flashcards are okay if you are dealing with multiple choice or vocabulary words...I still prefer just reading those on one page; but that's because I have a bit of a photographic memory so having them all on one page increases my chances of remembering them.

Also, writing out things by hand or saying it out loud seems to help me put it to memory.