News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

This is why I don't like zero tolerance policies . . .

Started by Sandra Craft, November 01, 2011, 01:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9QNLEAG2%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011&page=1

I realize stores take a dim view of shoplifters, and so do I for that matter, but it seems fairly clear to me that the sandwich was merely forgotten and not boosted.  And even if it had been stolen, this is a lot of trouble and expense to cause over $5.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Don't the police and justice system have better things to do other than prosecute a couple for not paying or forgetting to pay for a $5 sandwich? ::)

Or are they just bored?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Attila

With a Polish name like Leszczynski, it's a good thing this didn't happen in Alabama.

Asmodean

Quote from: Attila on November 01, 2011, 04:19:34 PM
With a Polish name like Leszczynski, it's a good thing this didn't happen in Alabama.
Would get blasted upon with guns, you think..?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Xjeepguy

Here in the states many stores have gotten this way. I am a large man with a shaved head and tattoos, so I am quite used to being followed around wal mart by a plain clothes security officer.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Whitney

I know that I would totally forget to pay which is why if I'm hungry I buy whatever it is first, eat, and then continue my shopping.  Of course, I'm also not pregnant with a young child so I may not feel nearly as rushed to combine activities.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 02, 2011, 05:33:31 PM
At the very least, it is a very dumb PR move.

I think it comes down to people, and businesses, not being willing to make judgement calls and to a certain extent I can understand that -- nobody can see into the future and people can get burned when a judgement call goes bad.  But something like this nonsense (or the 6-yr old boy who got suspended from school on sexual harrassment charges after kissing a female classmate on the cheek, or fill in your own example of zero tolerance lunacy) just seems worse than the risk of a bad judgement call.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 02, 2011, 11:19:42 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 02, 2011, 05:33:31 PM
At the very least, it is a very dumb PR move.

I think it comes down to people, and businesses, not being willing to make judgement calls and to a certain extent I can understand that -- nobody can see into the future and people can get burned when a judgement call goes bad.  But something like this nonsense (or the 6-yr old boy who got suspended from school on sexual harrassment charges after kissing a female classmate on the cheek, or fill in your own example of zero tolerance lunacy) just seems worse than the risk of a bad judgement call.

Yeah, I guess that's the thing. Middle-management isn't empowered to make those kinds of judgement calls - it's just drilled into them over and over again to follow policy no matter what. Even if those policies taken to the extreme are pretty ridiculous, which, in this case, it was.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.