News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The Atheist Agenda

Started by Earthling, October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earthling

Rather than impose anything more than my dubious title suggests I would like to know what the point of a forum like this is? A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

What is the point in even being atheist?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty. Frank Herbert

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Earthling on October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM

What's the point of having a point? I mean, why do I need a point? I just don't believe in god. As it worked out, at least in the U.S., most people do. So, I suppose I find it interesting to read the writings of others who share my disbelief.

Good and Godless

QuoteRather than impose anything more than my dubious title suggests I would like to know what the point of a forum like this is? A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

From what I've seen in my short time here, all of the above!  Although there is less mocking than I expected...

I think one of the major points of being an atheist is a search for real, rational, provable truth (versus the "truth" that religions claim to have found).
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/

Stevil

Let's translate this to make it more clear.
Atheist = person whom lacks a belief in gods
so
What is the point in even being a person whom lacks a belief in gods?

Of course we could go down the path of simply believing everything that we are told. We could believe that ghosts roam the earth, shaking chains and moaning "ooooh" and saying "Boo!" once and a while. We could believe that fairys exist, hanging out in enchanted forests, fluttering around and just doing what fairies do. We could believe in an almighty invisible being whom created existence and all that is in it and wants us to pray to it and tell it how wonderful it is.

But the point of being a person whom lacks belief is that instead we will look for evidence and proof, we will search for the truth rather than know the "Truth" as we are told it is.
Critical thought is a powerful method of discovery and progress. Without it we would not understand much about our environment. We would likely still be burning or drowning mental patients thinking they are possessed, we would still be thinking the Sun revolves around the Earth, we would not have much of the medicine and technology that we have today. If we believed in god and believed we already knew the truth we would be content to not investigate the universe.

So,
The point of being an Atheist is to seek the truth about our environment, to seek progress and to engage our brains with regards to developing an inclusive, diverse, functional and fair society to live in.

Sandra Craft

Do you have any other way of describing not believing in deities?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Earthling

Quote from: BullyforBronto on October 29, 2011, 02:54:55 AM

What's the point of having a point? I mean, why do I need a point? I just don't believe in god. As it worked out, at least in the U.S., most people do. So, I suppose I find it interesting to read the writings of others who share my disbelief.

That sounds like a good reason to me, thanks, Bully.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty. Frank Herbert

Earthling

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 29, 2011, 03:56:53 AM

Do you have any other way of describing not believing in deities?

There seems to be a multitude of them though you can term it in a way most comfortable to you. I'm most interested in establishing what the point of participating as a vocal or even lurker (though I wouldn't expect comment from them) in a public place devoted to disbelief in deities?

Earthling

Quote from: Good and Godless on October 29, 2011, 03:14:55 AM
QuoteRather than impose anything more than my dubious title suggests I would like to know what the point of a forum like this is? A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

From what I've seen in my short time here, all of the above!  Although there is less mocking than I expected...

I think one of the major points of being an atheist is a search for real, rational, provable truth (versus the "truth" that religions claim to have found).

Thanks, Good and Godless, and do you think that it is important to carefully consider the Bible and religion or are you simply saying in order to search out this knowledge you seek all of that just has to be avoided?

xSilverPhinx

A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

All of the above, and more. This forum has grown on me.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Earthling

Quote from: Stevil on October 29, 2011, 03:45:54 AM
Let's translate this to make it more clear.
Atheist = person whom lacks a belief in gods
so
What is the point in even being a person whom lacks a belief in gods?

Of course we could go down the path of simply believing everything that we are told. We could believe that ghosts roam the earth, shaking chains and moaning "ooooh" and saying "Boo!" once and a while. We could believe that fairys exist, hanging out in enchanted forests, fluttering around and just doing what fairies do. We could believe in an almighty invisible being whom created existence and all that is in it and wants us to pray to it and tell it how wonderful it is.

You've been reading Dawkins again, haven't you. Tsk. tsk. tsk.

Quote from: Stevil on October 29, 2011, 03:45:54 AMBut the point of being a person whom lacks belief is that instead we will look for evidence and proof, we will search for the truth rather than know the "Truth" as we are told it is.

Critical thought is a powerful method of discovery and progress. Without it we would not understand much about our environment. We would likely still be burning or drowning mental patients thinking they are possessed, we would still be thinking the Sun revolves around the Earth, we would not have much of the medicine and technology that we have today. If we believed in god and believed we already knew the truth we would be content to not investigate the universe.

So,
The point of being an Atheist is to seek the truth about our environment, to seek progress and to engage our brains with regards to developing an inclusive, diverse, functional and fair society to live in.

Excellent sermon!

Earthling

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 29, 2011, 06:35:34 AM
A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

All of the above, and more. This forum has grown on me.

That's two all of the above. I must not be too far removed from observations in atheism. Thanks, Silver, good to hear from you as always.

Stevil

Quote from: Earthling on October 29, 2011, 07:17:18 AM
You've been reading Dawkins again, haven't you. Tsk. tsk. tsk.
I have never read a Dawkins book or article. I know very little about the man.
Quote from: Earthling on October 29, 2011, 07:17:18 AM
Quote from: Stevil on October 29, 2011, 03:45:54 AMBut the point of being a person whom lacks belief is that instead we will look for evidence and proof, we will search for the truth rather than know the "Truth" as we are told it is.

So,

Excellent sermon!
It's interesting, you ask "What is the point in even being atheist?"
I give you my answer "The point of being an Atheist is to seek the truth about our environment, to seek progress and to engage our brains with regards to developing an inclusive, diverse, functional and fair society to live in."

and all I get is a silly little derogatory comment in response"Excellent sermon!".

It seems you are not interested in conversation.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on October 29, 2011, 08:53:13 AM
I have never read a Dawkins book or article. I know very little about the man.
You might want to check out his Root of all evil/Virus of faith and "Enemies of reason" programmes. The vids are readily available on Google Videos. Reasonably interesting.

EDIT: Oh, they are both in two parts. The first, Root of all evil and Virus of faith are about religion the latter are about alternative "healthcare"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Xjeepguy

I'm an atheist because I dont believe in any god. (I believe we covered that already)
I hang out on this forum because in my real life I catch alot of grief from theists that are so narrow minded and intolerant that it is nice to read people's thoughts that are similar to mine. That's the problem with theism, they all think they need to convert me to their way of thinking instead of just leaving me alone. So I come here and it doesn't feel like I am the only person in the world that doesn't believe in a god.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Good and Godless

Quote from: EarthlingThanks, Good and Godless, and do you think that it is important to carefully consider the Bible and religion or are you simply saying in order to search out this knowledge you seek all of that just has to be avoided?

I have considered the bible and religion (for about 30 years of my life) and found them to be lacking in the rational, provable truth I mentioned.  So yes, religion should be considered.  I'm still fascinated by religion and will continue to read about all types of belief.  I've just settled on atheism as the most reasonable.
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/