News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

I need your help raising my child....

Started by Eclecticsaturn, October 23, 2007, 08:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raggy

No, what you should do, is get a shovel, and cave her head in. And make sure you get her life insurance while your at it.

McQ

Well, I'm late to the party, but see that you've gotten some good advice already eclecticsaturn. I will echo some of what has been said and advise somewhat of a compromise.

For those unaware, I am in a similar, but not as desperate, situation. My wife is a pretty strong roman catholic. I used to be. I "changed", and she did not. So it was tough finding some middle ground.

The BEST advice I got that worked, was to talk about it. Openly, and honestly, and without derision. Don't offend her beliefs by calling them childish or anything like that, but try to tell her what you believe and why. Then tell her what you don't believe and why. But do your homework first.

My fortune in talking with my wife was that:

a) I know a ton more than she does about christianity and the bible
b) I know a ton more than her about science and nature

That helped when defending my beliefs in a natural world-view, and in pointing out some reasons to doubt the bible as the "truth".

It has been rough, but we are still together, and we have managed to continue to raise kids OK.

Keep talking!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Eclecticsaturn

haha there was a couple funny comments there. Well this is kinda a good place to anounce this i guess. Like this situation wasnt enough, we just found out that were going to have another kid today. so now 2 kids to protect from my wife with a mental illness.

Ive considered the couples theorpy but i hate shrinks. They tell you stuff u already know, are pretend to know you or how you feel, and you have to pay them for it. I dont know, i might have to though.

man i need a cigarrette.

jrosebud

Congrats on the new kidlet!

Do your best to be a good dad and eventually your kiddos will reach the age of reason.  As someone else mentioned, sow the seeds of doubt here and there by reading them other mythic works.  And teach them ethics.  Teach them to question authority (when they find it prudent to do so).  I'm living proof that one can grow up with an imaginary god-friend and find sanity as an adult.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

filip3rd

Quit one of your jobs, make her get a job even if it is part time spend more time with your child. Teach him the way you see it all happened. Honestly if she is not willing to compromise than I m not sure if this marriage is meant to be. Everyone has the right to be happy and free. If she is not willing to back up, you back up from this marriage. If she is is good Christian, she should know that divorce is a sin in the eye of the big men. I just don't believe that in a partnership one should have more power than the other it should be equal and if not separation is better than imprisonment.
“Anarchism, really stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government.”