News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Theists - why are humans afraid of death?

Started by Norfolk And Chance, October 23, 2011, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk And Chance

Just a simple question really - if we take the teachings of christianity to be true, you go to heaven if you have been good and promise to suck up to god for eternity.

If this is the case, why is there anything to fear from death and why do we have an inbuilt biological urge to avoid dying at any cost? Surely this does not stack up?
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Asmodean

Not a theist, but I'll answer for me.

I am not afraid of death, just dislike the prospect of dying. If one could skip that process and still get dead, I wouldn't mind it at all.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Norfolk And Chance

I understand your point of view, but instinctively you will avoid something that will kill you. Example, someone throws a large rock at your head, you will duck.

It is relatively easy to assume that humans (and everything else) are genetically programmed to fear death so that they can maximise their lifespan long enough to successfully reproduce so that the species lives on. The point of life really, is to reproduce life.

As theists believe you live on in sky paradise after death, then death has little meaning, and actually neither does real life because it is redundant if you live eternally anyway. So there is theistically no point to real life, no point to death, and no need for real organisms to fear death. So why do they then?

The fact that everything avoids dying in real life to the best of their ability goes completely against the grain of eternal life in heaven, after death.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

OldGit

Quote from: Steve JobsNo one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there.

I agree with Asmodean, it's the fear of dying, rather than being dead.  For myself, I can't imagine not existing.  I just can't form the mental image.  OK, they say it's the same as before one was born, but I can't picture that either.

Ildiko

Quote from: OldGit on October 23, 2011, 05:21:36 PM
Quote from: Steve JobsNo one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there.

I agree with Asmodean, it's the fear of dying, rather than being dead.  For myself, I can't imagine not existing.  I just can't form the mental image.  OK, they say it's the same as before one was born, but I can't picture that either.

I agree. And obviously if you fear the process of dying then you will try to avoid something that will kill you, especially if it's likely to hurt.

Crow

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 23, 2011, 04:46:01 PM

As theists believe you live on in sky paradise after death, then death has little meaning, and actually neither does real life because it is redundant if you live eternally anyway. So there is theistically no point to real life, no point to death, and no need for real organisms to fear death. So why do they then?

May depend on the religion, some use the possibility of there being a negative afterlife spent in pain and misery for the all of eternity. Take the bible for example there is no chance that a single person has been able to keep to all the rules and regulations so there may be a chance that person of that faith thinks they will go to hell.

I am in agreement with Asmodean the idea of death doesn't faze me in the slightest but dying in a hugely painful way does.
Retired member.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: OldGit on October 23, 2011, 05:21:36 PM

Well you can't really picture nothingness. I used to fear dying a lot when I first started thinking about my atheism. The non existence for ever more was quite disturbing. It's quite hard to get your head around how you won't be around anymore and won't even know you ever existed nor have any concept of anything, time included. As you said, compare to before you existed, there's your window into death.

Over time I've grown used to it all, but I must admit I'm a bit bummed that I won't be around in 2400 or whatever, to see if we managed to colonise Mars or anything, or reached near light speed travel. Missing out on all that future stuff is upsetting, and I think the human lifespan is not near long enough. Eternity would be torture, everything has to end sometime - even stars, but 500 -1,000 years would be a decent lifespan. 80 or so years is a short straw, and I really hate Giant Tortoises.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm a theist.  I'm not "afraid" of death, I just don't want to die.  Like Git, I don't relish the process (working in a hospital and having plenty of experience with death in my own family, it's not pretty), and I'm not really afraid of the long sleep (sleep's great).  But I don't want to miss anything.  I love life.  I want to see my grandchildren reach 100 and do amazing things.  Even if I'm sitting in a wheelchair somewhere, if I could just be a spectator of everything that comes after me, that would be fine.  Just sit, sip on some wine and watch the festivities.  I don't understand people who want to die.  Really.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 24, 2011, 12:35:45 AM
I just don't want to die.  Like Git, I don't relish the process (working in a hospital and having plenty of experience with death in my own family, it's not pretty), and I'm not really afraid of the long sleep (sleep's great).  But I don't want to miss anything.  I love life. 

We agree on this.

However, as a theist do you not believe in heaven? Just you mentioned not being afraid of the long sleep. Obviously that's not a problem if you go to heaven?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 24, 2011, 01:05:20 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 24, 2011, 12:35:45 AM
I just don't want to die.  Like Git, I don't relish the process (working in a hospital and having plenty of experience with death in my own family, it's not pretty), and I'm not really afraid of the long sleep (sleep's great).  But I don't want to miss anything.  I love life. 

We agree on this.

However, as a theist do you not believe in heaven? Just you mentioned not being afraid of the long sleep. Obviously that's not a problem if you go to heaven?

Like some conservative Jews I know, I believe in resurrection, not disembodied souls or spiritual heaven.  When I die, my belief is that I will stay dead until the resurrection.  It will be like sleep.   

OldGit

I've been thinking over my previous answer.
Suppose that some mad professor out of a James Bond film has strapped you to a nuclear weapon, which you know will detonate in two minutes.  You know that the transition from life to death will be entirely sensation-free: you will be vapourised and turned into plasma so quickly that your brain will not have time to register any change before it ceases to exist.   Would  you feel fear in those two minutes?  I'm sure I would.  In that case, could you give a logical explanation of what you're afraid of?  I don't think I could.  It would be the ancient animal emotion which Norfolk alluded to.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on October 24, 2011, 09:28:33 AM
Would  you feel fear in those two minutes?  I'm sure I would.  In that case, could you give a logical explanation of what you're afraid of?  I don't think I could.  It would be the ancient animal emotion which Norfolk alluded to.
I'm a weird, screwed-up guy, but thinking about it excites me rather than frightens. I mean... An actual thermonuclear warhead. And I am practically on top of it in an evil lair of a mad scientist..! Does it get any cooler?! Of course, I suppose my instinct of self-preservation would kick in at some point, but I think I'd still meet my demise with more curiosity than fear.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Quote from: Grumpy LumpyDoes it get any cooler?

No, it gets a damn sight hotter!

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

bandit4god

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 23, 2011, 04:00:55 PM
...why is there anything to fear from death...

As a Christian theist, I do not fear what lies on the other side of death...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 23, 2011, 04:00:55 PM
...and why do we have an inbuilt biological urge to avoid dying at any cost?

...but I do consider the termination of what lies on this side of death (my life) to be a "loss" of something of value to God. 

Btw, curious that you chose the word "inbuilt".  :)