News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

[Flash]I HAVE CONVERTED!!!

Started by Attila, October 19, 2011, 02:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Thanks to xSilverPhinx and Ildiko the Evil I have converted. I was never really comfortable with the label apathetist. I formally renounce apathetisim (not giving a shit if there's a god or not). It's kind of ...pathetic. Sometimes the TRUTH is right in front of you and it takes you a while to seize it. Ildiko, the Clever, noticed xSilverPhinx's tagline and looked up ignosticism. I read it and experienced a golden glow emanating from the pages. Harp music played in the background and I realised that I found, finally, THE TRUTH. My secret magpie flew down and settled on my shoulder, painfully pecking on my earlobe as I read on. It was as if I were reading my own thoughts only less confused and more logically stated. My path was clear: conversion is not a choice, it is a necessity. I AM NOW AN IGNOSTIC. But wait. Maybe I'm a theological noncognitivist. How to decide? Ignostic has less letters and is pithy whereas theological noncognitivist is clumsy and sounds like a form of dementia. In any event, my life has changed forever thanks to the intercession of two women, proving once again the inherent superiority of the y-chromosome-ly challenged sex.  Clearly god got it totally wrong. Adam was created out of Eve's derrière.

May the spirit of Ayer infuse you both.
Ciao,

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

Hallelujah, praise the errrr....

Sounds like you've had a Road to Brasilia experience!

Do you feel like you've been blind all your life and now you can see? or that you've spent your whole life in a cave looking at shadows and have just stepped out to see the Sun for the very first time? etc etc.
Are you full of ignostic zeal and feeling the need to try and convert us all now?  ;)

Attila

Quote from: Tank on October 19, 2011, 04:26:06 PM
Congratulations!
Tank! Yay!!! You're still talking to me? I was worried. :o Does it have to do with me having converted?
ciao,
Attila

Attila

Quote from: Too Few Lions on October 19, 2011, 04:36:11 PM
Hallelujah, praise the errrr....

Sounds like you've had a Road to Brasilia experience!

Do you feel like you've been blind all your life and now you can see? or that you've spent your whole life in a cave looking at shadows and have just stepped out to see the Sun for the very first time? etc etc.
Are you full of ignostic zeal and feeling the need to try and convert us all now?  ;)
Holy Iggy TFL,
How did you know that??? That's exactly how I feel. In fairness to xSP we should call it the Road to Porto Alegre experience. And yes, I'm full of zeal. I just converted my kitten (she's 8 years old but she'll always be a kitten to me) and she seems happier now. Apparently Iggy's require a special diet that must be cooked by a 5star chef. I'll inform the airlines the next time I fly. That's really a preview of a thread I'd like to see: "Examples of queue-jumping by 'people of faith'".
Ciao,
Attila

Siz

So Atilla, do you still not care if there's a god? Or do you now care, but still aren't prepared to commit to a belief in a god of not? Or is it that, before you did really care and were just pretending not to and now you accept that it's worth caring about, enough to give yourself a different title? Or do you now think that what you believed before was not what you believed when you thought that it was more appropriate to believe what you said I thought you believed?

...Well...?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

That's cool, Attila. One for my resumé ;D

QuoteHallelujah, praise the errrr....

Meaningless word! ;D

QuoteSounds like you've had a Road to Brasilia experience!

QuoteIn fairness to xSP we should call it the Road to Porto Alegre experience.

All roads lead to Brasilia eventually   8)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Attila

Quote from: Scissorlegs on October 19, 2011, 04:54:04 PM
So Atilla, do you still not care if there's a god? Or do you now care, but still aren't prepared to commit to a belief in a god of not? Or is it that, before you did really care and were just pretending not to and now you accept that it's worth caring about, enough to give yourself a different title? Or do you now think that what you believed before was not what you believed when you thought that it was more appropriate to believe what you said I thought you believed?

...Well...?
Hi SL, So I'm on the spot, am I? Well, do your worst. I can handle it now that I'm an Iggy. Do be totally honest, I still don't care but I understand that this is due in great part because I don't understand the concept of god. That's pretty much the standard ignostic approach to the issue. I think if you went through my back-posts on the subject I did bring up this issue before my conversion mentioning that I didn't not feel the concept of god was well defined and no one would know a god from a pile of dog pooh on the pavement. I don't know if you're angry or just teasing me. I think maybe you're not taking this thread in the spirit that it was created or maybe I'm too thick to know when someone is taking the piss. Seriously, I was curious about my own attitude toward the issue (wondering if it was even important) when I joined this forum and thanks to all of you I see that there are kindred spirits (pardon the expression  ;) ). It is quite fun to realise some pretty cool people like Ayer and Drange hold very similar views to my own. In the spirit of full disclosure, I confess that I have yet to hear a coherent view on why anyone cares if there's a god or not.

How was that?
ciao,
Attila

Ildiko

Quote from: Attila on October 19, 2011, 04:51:07 PM
Apparently Iggy's require a special diet that must be cooked by a 5star chef.

Lots of luck with that one.

QuoteMaybe I'm a theological noncognitivist. How to decide? Ignostic has less letters and is pithy whereas theological noncognitivist is clumsy and sounds like a form of dementia.

Fewer letters, FFS.

Do Ignostics win Ignobel Prizes?

Attila

Quote from: Ildiko on October 19, 2011, 05:44:41 PM
Quote from: Attila on October 19, 2011, 04:51:07 PM
Apparently Iggy's require a special diet that must be cooked by a 5star chef.

Lots of luck with that one.

QuoteMaybe I'm a theological noncognitivist. How to decide? Ignostic has less letters and is pithy whereas theological noncognitivist is clumsy and sounds like a form of dementia.

Fewer letters, FFS.

Do Ignostics win Ignobel Prizes?
Only if the ignore the ignominy of the honour.

Tank

Quote from: Attila on October 19, 2011, 04:38:30 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 19, 2011, 04:26:06 PM
Congratulations!
Tank! Yay!!! You're still talking to me? I was worried. :o Does it have to do with me having converted?
ciao,
Attila
I have other n00bs to watchover now ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

McQ

Well, ummmm....congratulations, I suppose.

I'll just go and stand in the pathetic corner by myself.  :'(

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Attila

Quote from: McQ on October 19, 2011, 06:46:26 PM
Well, ummmm....congratulations, I suppose.

I'll just go and stand in the pathetic corner by myself.  :'(

Yeah, I know the feeling. But you too can be saved. It's a minor jump from just not giving a shit to still not giving a shit and have a principled basis for not giving a shit. Think of it as being backed up by some hired muscle (Ayer, Drange, and company). You can still be you.  ;) It absolutely painless.
Attila

Stevil

I'm Ignostic too. Its a subset of Atheist, so I'm also an Atheist. I'm also a Humanist,
Oh, and a Human,
Pro-Choice,
Hmmmm, what label shall I wear today?

Ildiko

There's a paper on noncognitivism here:

http://www.strongatheism.net/library/atheology/argument_from_noncognitivism/

Have only skimmed it but it looks as though it may be worth a read.

I've decided to be Noncognitivist, mainly because I'm having difficulty remembering the word Ignostic. I fear this proves Attila's point that "theological noncognitivist is clumsy and sounds like a form of dementia".