News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Is god lazy

Started by shoruke, October 19, 2007, 04:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoruke

So before I start I have a set of assumptions...

1) We all know that these assumptions and this whole post have "If god exists" attached to them
2) God can hear my every thought. I mean EVERY.
3) God is compassionate/empathetic and gives a damn about me
4) The bible tells the truth (somehow, despite that it condradicts itself, but I digress) and people who know of god but reject him will go to hell.
5) God is badass. I mean all-powerful.

So, is god lazy or something? Since he can hear my every thought, he knows that I've been thinking to myself that "the only way to convert me to Christianity is for god himself to do something to convert me". Since god cares about me, he doesn't want me to go to hell, which I am lined up to do right now because I know of him, but I'm still atheist. God obviously COULD perform some trippy miracle right in front of me and make me convert.

So here's the dilemma. If all of this is true, why has god not converted me? It's within his capabilities; it stands to reason that it would even be rediculously easy for him. So what the hell?

By the way, I am sometimes required to defend my atheism during my life, and one reason I posted this here to refine one of my arguments. So I REALLY appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks guys!
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Will

Empathy doesn't always lead to a positive response. Just because one can understand the emotions of others doesn't mean they care. If there is a god, he, she, or it doesn't care about us at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say that he, she, or it is a dick because he, she or it set the rules in opposition; believe in something that makes absolutely no sense or be punished for eternity? That kinda god can kiss my ass.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Steve Reason

If being lazy makes you a god, then bow down before me, thou sycophantic go-getter!  :D
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

JoelWildtree

The Christian answer you will get is that God has already done more than we deserve to save us. Which is really what any Christian must convince themselves of. Just believe in the story that God sent his son to die a tortuous death for us, and heaven is yours. This of course assumes that God doesn't care about reason and rationality, and instead holds believe without evidence as a high value (of course only belief without evidence of what is true, not false religions/Gods). This also requires a redefining of "love", "grace", "caring", "gift", and all those other Christian happy-words they like to throw around to explain their God. Will is absolutely right, if there was a God, and if that God understood human suffering, human emotions, and if he/she truly "loved" us as in the common notion of love, then nobody would go to hell.

SteveS

I agree god is lazy - he took eternity off before he created the universe!  What a slacker.  Like one finite universe makes up for an infinite vacation?  Or was he just taking a long lunch?  Probably snuck in 9 holes of golf ... had a beer at the turn, too, no doubt ... he's so fired if anyone ever finds out.

tomday

If God is supposed to have created the human race with Adam and Eve, what a shame that he was too lazy to create at least another couple at the same time so that Adam and Eve's sons could have had an opportunity to go and do their begetting with young ladies from a different family - could someone explain to me just who did they do their begetting with?  :idea:

a_jaynepayne

Quote from: "tomday"If God is supposed to have created the human race with Adam and Eve, what a shame that he was too lazy to create at least another couple at the same time so that Adam and Eve's sons could have had an opportunity to go and do their begetting with young ladies from a different family - could someone explain to me just who did they do their begetting with?  :idea:

Good point, one i've thought about a lot...and then wasn't everyone wiped out save Noah and his on the big boat?  So did this kind of reproduction take place twice?!?!  WTF!  

Or was I not paying attention in sunday school?
I LOVE GEORGE CARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "It's all b.s. and it's bad for ya!

tomday

Quote from: "a_jaynepayne"
Quote from: "tomday"If God is supposed to have created the human race with Adam and Eve, what a shame that he was too lazy to create at least another couple at the same time so that Adam and Eve's sons could have had an opportunity to go and do their begetting with young ladies from a different family - could someone explain to me just who did they do their begetting with?  :idea:

Good point, one i've thought about a lot...and then wasn't everyone wiped out save Noah and his on the big boat?  So did this kind of reproduction take place twice?!?!  WTF!  

I only ever went to Sunday School twice - just before Xmas and one of the big girls told me that Father Xmas (Santa) didn't exist so I never went back again - obviously missed out on the explanation about how to beget when there's no member of the opposite sex around except for your Ma!  Maybe some kind and more-enlightened forum member could put us straight.  
Good point re Noah's Ark! also, given that only two of each animal went in and all others perished, for the following generation the only begetting option would have been with parents and siblings - mass incest!

ryanvc76

God is lazy, Santa is fat, and the Easter Bunny is furry.  Does that clear it up?
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

a_jaynepayne

Quote from: "tomday"
Quote from: "a_jaynepayne"

I only ever went to Sunday School twice - just before Xmas and one of the big girls told me that Father Xmas (Santa) didn't exist so I never went back again - obviously missed out on the explanation about how to beget when there's no member of the opposite sex around except for your Ma!  Maybe some kind and more-enlightened forum member could put us straight.  
Good point re Noah's Ark! also, given that only two of each animal went in and all others perished, for the following generation the only begetting option would have been with parents and siblings - mass incest!

Seriously maybe we're all retarded now and don't know it...The Hills Have Eyes kinda stuff ya know.    Crap I'm totally off subject now...Uh yes I think god's lazy.  Not to mention dumb, I mean seriously he should've known better than to leave so much up to us, of course we'd f*** it up.  My six year old has been told how to make a sandwich but like hell I'm gonna let her do alone, I'd be lazy and dumb to let her play with a knife alone in the kitchen.
I LOVE GEORGE CARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "It's all b.s. and it's bad for ya!