News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Study shows humans still evolving

Started by Tank, October 05, 2011, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Study shows humans still evolving

Quote(PhysOrg.com) -- A new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides evidence of human evolution and rapid genetic changes suggesting that, contrary to modern claims, technological and cultural advancements have not halted the evolutionary process in humans.

The new study, led by geneticist Emmanuel Milot from the University of Quebec, looked at a group of women from the remote island town of Ile aux Coudres in Quebec, Canada. The team looked at the birth, death and marriage records kept by the Catholic Church in the town. They were specifically looking at the data from women who married between 1799 and 1940.

What they discovered was that within that 140 year time frame, the age that the women conceived their first child dropped from 26 to 22. Looking at cultural, social and economic differences in the women, the researchers were able to determine that 30 to 50 percent of this variation in age was explained solely by genetic variations...

Just goes to show that evolution never stops but the selection pressures change.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

You mean, the men had evolved superior seduction techniques. ;D

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on October 05, 2011, 02:17:10 PM
You mean, the men had evolved superior seduction techniques. ;D
That would be the alternative interpretation of the data  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 10:07:47 AM
Quote(PhysOrg.com) -- A new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides evidence of human evolution and rapid genetic changes suggesting that, contrary to modern claims, technological and cultural advancements have not halted the evolutionary process in humans.

It really surprises me that anyone would have assumed that, I would have assumed the opposite to be a foregone conclusion.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 05, 2011, 05:45:27 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 10:07:47 AM

It really surprises me that anyone would have assumed that, I would have assumed the opposite to be a foregone conclusion.
I agree, but it's a regular question where some people presume that humanity has somehow short-circuited evolution and is no longer subject to selection pressures. Some people really have trouble getting their head around this issue.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 05:49:27 PM
I agree, but it's a regular question where some people presume that humanity has somehow short-circuited evolution and is no longer subject to selection pressures. Some people really have trouble getting their head around this issue.

This must be related to the theory I heard a few years back that history had essentially stopped because there was nothing left to be done or discovered.  Either the idea of change is mind-blowingly scary for some people, or there's a serious lack of imagination going on in some circles.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 05, 2011, 06:17:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 05:49:27 PM

This must be related to the theory I heard a few years back that history had essentially stopped because there was nothing left to be done or discovered.  Either the idea of change is mind-blowingly scary for some people, or there's a serious lack of imagination going on in some circles.
History has stopped? I didn't get the memo!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 06:24:24 PM

Someone embarrassed themselves sufficiently to write a book about how this was so.  I'll try to find a link to it.

I wonder, if history actually stops, that means we don't need to check our mailboxes anymore?
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 05, 2011, 06:55:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 06:24:24 PM

Someone embarrassed themselves sufficiently to write a book about how this was so.  I'll try to find a link to it.

I wonder, if history actually stops, that means we don't need to check our mailboxes anymore?
I think history stops, at least on a personal level, when one snuffs it!

Sandra Craft

Found a rather long article discussing the whole "end of history" theory: http://www.wesjones.com/eoh.htm.  Frankly, I think this theory jumps the gun a bit.
Sandy

KingPhilip

"Everything that can be invented, has been invented" ~ Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

Whenever someone says something about history being at its end, human evolution never progressing past this point, technology being at its limit...etc, I think of this quote.

*Yes I know the quote has been misinterpreted for years, but it still fits in with exactly what these people's thought processes seem to be better than anything else I've found.*
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 05, 2011, 07:02:58 PM
Found a rather long article discussing the whole "end of history" theory: http://www.wesjones.com/eoh.htm.  Frankly, I think this theory jumps the gun a bit.
Thank you so much, I needed that like a case of herpes  ;D

OldGit

KingPhilip

From the article:
QuoteNevertheless, their DNA could be used to create broad-shouldered yeomen who understand what a deadline is.

I died on this sentence, cracked me up. Honestly it's a half decent point if you think about it though. More people in a community, but no more workers, doesn't really have good results.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Sandra Craft

Quote from: KingPhilip on October 05, 2011, 07:23:06 PM
From the article:
QuoteNevertheless, their DNA could be used to create broad-shouldered yeomen who understand what a deadline is.

I died on this sentence, cracked me up. Honestly it's a half decent point if you think about it though. More people in a community, but no more workers, doesn't really have good results.

I tried to read the article but I kept getting distracted by the ad for Stylish Masturbator magazine.
Sandy