News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

'Hollows' mark Mercury's surface

Started by Tank, October 03, 2011, 08:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteHands up who thought Mercury was just a dull rock circling close to the Sun?

The latest data returned by Nasa's Messenger probe shows that view couldn't be further from the truth.

In among a raft of papers published in this week's edition of the journal Science, researchers reveal strange hollows that pock Mercury's surface.

Irregular in shape, these depressions seem to form in the bright deposits that have been excavated where meteorites have impacted the surface.

The Messenger team cannot be sure what has caused them, but on Mars similar features are also known to exist...

Lots of interesting stuff being discovered by looking rather than by guessing and speculation! Science rocks!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 03, 2011, 08:15:32 AM

QuoteHands up who thought Mercury was just a dull rock circling close to the Sun?

I thought it was a tiny, hot rock orbiting close to the sun. 

I'm going to check around and see if I can find any pictures of this -- I know they said "hollows" but my imagination is running wild with the idea of caves.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany