Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Hi greetings

Started by Walker88, September 26, 2011, 05:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker88

Hi I'm Lawrence.
I live in Lincoln, Nebraska.
I attend the University of Nebraska, at Lincoln.
I am studying Russian language as a major.
I'm atheist, and sick of people looking down at me for it.

Tank

Hi Walker

Everybody deserves their own introduction thread  ;D

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2011, 09:52:17 AM
Hi Walker

Everybody deserves their own introduction thread  ;D

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris

Ohhhhhhh, the creation of this welcome thread is god like, it was a mere post and now it is a thread.
Such a benevolent use of power, praise with great praise.
Are you to going to smite anyone soon?

Hello Walker
I think walking is almost always good.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Walker88.  I knew a young fellow whose first name was Walker; his father was a professional photographer and had named him after Walker Evans. I think it's a pretty cool name.

I know very little Russian myself, though I've known some Russian immigrants over the years, and enjoy the sound of the Russian language.

It's not surprising, living in Nebraska, that you feel looked down upon for your atheism, but one would hope that in a university, even in Nebraska, you would be able to find some kindred spirits.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MrStakhanovite

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: Walker88 on September 26, 2011, 05:46:08 AM
Hi I'm Lawrence.
I live in Lincoln, Nebraska.
I attend the University of Nebraska, at Lincoln.
I am studying Russian language as a major.
I'm atheist, and sick of people looking down at me for it.
Atheist? <shock, horror>

Are you sure you've come to the right place?
Atheism is frowned upon here.

Walker88

No Magic Pudding, I don't believe I will be smiting anytime soon... I'm actually pretty much for peaceful action, and I don't stand for self-contradiction, well, when I can help it.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Walker. My minor was Russian from my first go 'round in education back during the Cold War. I stunk at it. Hope you do well with it.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

DeterminedJuliet

добро пожаловать!

I took a little Russian in University, I really loved it :) My dream is to go to St.Petersburg some day.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Walker88 on September 26, 2011, 06:52:50 PM
No Magic Pudding, I don't believe I will be smiting anytime soon... I'm actually pretty much for peaceful action, and I don't stand for self-contradiction, well, when I can help it.

I didn't mean to suggest you'd be smiting anyone.
I could be mistaken but I saw someone's 1st post in someone else's intro, I thought tank may have moved it into its own thread, I could well be mistaken in this.  Apologies.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 27, 2011, 06:48:25 AM
Quote from: Walker88 on September 26, 2011, 06:52:50 PM

I didn't mean to suggest you'd be smiting anyone.
I could be mistaken but I saw someone's 1st post in someone else's intro, I thought tank may have moved it into its own thread, I could well be mistaken in this.  Apologies.
TMP you're quite right W88 tagged onto somebody elses intro' so I split that post out and started this thread with it as everybody should have their own introduction  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

SatanicBurrito

Hey Lawrence.  Re: the people who look down on you for being an atheist.  Fuck them.

I know a little about Russian hands and Roman fingers, but I don't think all that has anything to do with language.

Glad to know you and Cheers!

MathKat

Hello Lawrence.  I'm new here too.   :)