News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Does this forum provides free speech?

Started by Happy Forever, September 25, 2011, 08:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Forever

I toured many forums, UKs and Americans, they allow insults and ban free speech.

I feel this forum is the opposite although I don't know why I have to post ten posts here!!

I respect all members here and hope to build a very useful debate to find the truth.  ;)

Happy Forever

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

From my experience, it does, but provided it's used responsibly.

The ten post rule is basically to avoid people spamming the boards. At first it was 50, but many potential serious contributors left before they reached that number, making the forum a bit less lively so it was reset to just 10 posts.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Happy Forever

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2011, 09:07:28 PM
Welcome!

From my experience, it does, but provided it's used responsibly.

The ten post rule is basically to avoid people spamming the boards. At first it was 50, but many potential serious contributors left before they reached that number, making the forum a bit less lively so it was reset to just 10 posts.

Thank you for your reply.

You know, I was in a Christian forum debating Christianity and recieved many insults. Then a moderator posted, saying:
This is a Christian forum and the Jewish Jesus is the god.

Finally I was banned because I asked him "If your god is a Jew, why are you Christian?"  ???

I want to feel that the mods and admins here are not presecutors even if I am not an athiest and will debate atheism and will explain my belief by evidence and logic.

I expect good from this free atheism forum.  :)

Asmodean

Free speech is encouraged unless misused, but I wouldn't say this place provides it. You must exercise your own freedom of speech yourself.

Welcome to HAF
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

LOL

That's typically a theistic response, if they don't like what you say, they will try to shut out everything you say. It makes them uncomfortable.

We have a few regular theistic posters here, but they're cool. A nice refreshing reminder that not all theists are _________ (add whatever negative characteristic). People here just don't take too kindly to others coming here to proselytize, that's all.  
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Happy Forever

Quote from: Asmodean on September 25, 2011, 09:31:14 PM
Free speech is encouraged unless misused, but I wouldn't say this place provides it. You must exercise your own freedom of speech yourself.

Welcome to HAF
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2011, 09:33:51 PM
LOL

That's typically a theistic response, if they don't like what you say, they will try to shut out everything you say. It makes them uncomfortable.

We have a few regular theistic posters here, but they're cool. A nice refreshing reminder that not all theists are _________ (add whatever negative characteristic). People here just don't take too kindly to others coming here to proselytize, that's all.  

Thanks brothers,

I am a Muslim.

Recusant

Quote from: Happy Forever on September 25, 2011, 08:59:47 PM
I toured many forums, UKs and Americans, they allow insults and ban free speech.

I feel this forum is the opposite although I don't know why I have to post ten posts here!!

I respect all members here and hope to build a very useful debate to find the truth.  ;)

Happy Forever

Hello and welcome to HAF, Happy Forever.

The simple answer to your question is "not complete free speech."  There are certain forms of speech which are not allowed here. You can discover those by reading the Forum Rules. Specifically prohibited:

• Racism
• Preaching
• Spam
• Plagiarism

Completely free speech would not prohibit the forms of speech which are listed above. This is a privately owned forum, and the owner has made the rules to provide a place where people can discuss topics freely, but it is not like the public square in the US or other places where one might legally engage in the above forms of speech. You might notice that the first rule on the linked page emphasizes the importance of civility. Keep that in mind, and you should have no problem here, as long as you don't preach, promote racism or post spam, and do provide a citation when quoting the work of others.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Siz

Cool, welcome Happy. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Assuming you have a genuine interest in what we might have to say, I congratulate your wary but  nonetheless forthright approach. Though I have to admit that for someone who believes that we, as atheists, will spend eternity in jahannam, I wonder why you would be interested in engaging with us. May i ask why the interest?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Whitney

welcome to haf, iSok has been a member here for a while and has been able to discuss Islam while conforming to the rules; so if you have questions he'd be a good one to ask.

Recusant, thank you for providing a great answer to the free speech question.

SuperiorEd

Quote from: Happy Forever on September 25, 2011, 08:59:47 PM

Happy Forever

I am new here too.  I was told not to speak of religion before my first 10 posts and only in the religion section.  I would surmise from this that speech is limited until your speech can be contained in the correct area of the forum.  POST 2

Whitney

Quote from: SuperiorEd on September 26, 2011, 01:13:54 AM

I am new here too.  I was told not to speak of religion before my first 10 posts and only in the religion section.  I would surmise from this that speech is limited until your speech can be contained in the correct area of the forum.  POST 2

you were NOT told you couldn't speak...you were told you couldn't discuss religion outside of the religion section.

If you are going to take everything the wrong way then you probably aren't going to fit in well here.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Whitney on September 26, 2011, 01:27:32 AM

you were NOT told you couldn't speak...you were told you couldn't discuss religion outside of the religion section.

If you are going to take everything the wrong way then you probably aren't going to fit in well here.

I don't think this is enforced too rigidly, issues do overlap.
Tank's "Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections" is in the Politics section, it could have been news or religion.
Trying to turn everything into a religious debate does get a bit boring.

Hello I hope you can be happy amongst the infidels.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Recusant

Quote from: Whitney on September 26, 2011, 01:03:53 AMRecusant, thank you for providing a great answer to the free speech question.

You're welcome, Whitney. And thank you, Will, for the thumbs-up.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken