News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Yet another introduction

Started by Foxlute, September 19, 2011, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxlute

Hello.

I came here via a link in a post on the About.com Agnosticims/Atheism Forum where I have been a member for 11 years.

I am male and from the UK. I was brought up as an RC but became an atheist from about the age of 14. I am now 57, married with three grown-up children (all happily religion-free) and I am an accountant with my own practice.

I am interested in secularism and I am a keen member of the National Secular Society in the UK. I find participating in such forums as this useful and informative. It is quite helpful to hear how unjustified religious interference in the state maniifests itself even in nominally secular countries such as the US. However, it is also entertaining to discuss a wide range of topics with similarly-minded sceptics.

Tank

Hi Foxlute

Hello from a 51yo UK resident with three grown up kids, all religion free  ;D

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

QuoteI was brought up as an RC but became an atheist from about the age of 14.

I'm glad they didn't have you under remote control for too long.

Welcome.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Foxlute.

I hear that the US dominionists are getting some exposure over there in the UK. What I've found interesting is that people in the US who ally themselves with dominionists and crypto-dominionists often tend to characterize them as "an obscure fringe element," that is, "nothing to worry about." I'm not so sure that's accurate, but I can understand why many of those on the right wing would want to downplay the influence they have. I only mention dominionists because the topic relates to your introductory post, but discussing them (if you have an interest in doing so) will have to wait until you've made 10 posts and graduate out of the "Getting to Know You" section.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Foxlute

Chris says:
QuoteWelcome to HAF

Thanks Chris. Glad to see there are some fellow Brits here.

And thanks to all the other who replied with a welcome.

Recusant says:
QuoteI hear that the US dominionists are getting some exposure over there in the UK.

Yes, I read yesterday that a couple of creationist outfits from the States are over here trying to inveigle their nonsense into UK science classes. Sir David Atttenborough and Richard Dawkins have put out a statement decrying their efforts and demanding assurances from the Secretary of State for Education that publicly funded schools will not be allowed to teach this tripe.

Tank

Quote from: Foxlute on September 20, 2011, 10:22:13 AM
Chris says:
QuoteWelcome to HAF

Thanks Chris. Glad to see there are some fellow Brits here.
OldGit is a fellow 'crusty' from the UK, as is TooFewLions. xSilverPhinx is in Brazil. WildfireEmisary is in the far East (Singapore I think) Asmo is in Norway and The Magic Pudding is in Australia. We have quite a worldwide group here.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Foxlute

QuoteOldGit is a fellow 'crusty' from the UK, as is TooFewLions. xSilverPhinx is in Brazil. WildfireEmisary is in the far East (Singapore I think) Asmo is in Norway and The Magic Pudding is in Australia. We have quite a worldwide group here.

That's good to know. Incidentally, I am still getting the hang of this place so I have gone back and edited my reply to you. It looks as though one can not post a reply to a specific member, one can merely post a general reply and quote the particular post on which one is commenting (unlike the About format). Have I got that right?

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 19, 2011, 12:36:59 PM
I'm glad they didn't have you under remote control for too long.
I remember being delivered in an IKEA-package with the remote missing.  :-\ I like remotes.

Welcome, Fox! Almost thought you were Tank having fun (from age and family description), but then Tank made his post and it aint exactly the same and... Well, I'll just swallow my suspicions  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Foxlute

QuoteI remember being delivered in an IKEA-package with the remote missing.  I like remotes.

Welcome, Fox! Almost thought you were Tank having fun (from age and family description), but then Tank made his post and it aint exactly the same and... Well, I'll just swallow my suspicions 

Sorry. I missed your quip about remotes before.  :-[

Tank

Quote from: Foxlute on September 20, 2011, 10:31:36 AM
QuoteOldGit is a fellow 'crusty' from the UK, as is TooFewLions. xSilverPhinx is in Brazil. WildfireEmisary is in the far East (Singapore I think) Asmo is in Norway and The Magic Pudding is in Australia. We have quite a worldwide group here.

That's good to know. Incidentally, I am still getting the hang of this place so I have gone back and edited my reply to you. It looks as though one can not post a reply to a specific member, one can merely post a general reply and quote the particular post on which one is commenting (unlike the About format). Have I got that right?
Yep.That's right. You're also limited to the 'Getting to know you' area for your first 10 posts. This rule tends to keep the majority of extremist people out as they don't have the patience, or the intent, to make a positive contribution.

Too Few Lions

welcome from another happily supersition-free Brit. The NSS do a good job, I like looking at the news links on their website once or twice a week, there are always some funny stories about crazy religious folk up to no good!

Foxlute

Quote from: Too Few Lions on September 20, 2011, 01:50:10 PM
welcome from another happily supersition-free Brit. The NSS do a good job, I like looking at the news links on their website once or twice a week, there are always some funny stories about crazy religious folk up to no good!

Many thanks.

Yes I think the NSS have improved over the last 10 years or so. However, I do wish they would stop bickering about whether or not to remove David Starkey as an honorary associate.

McQ

Welcome to another member of the "Experienced" club.  ;)

So happy that there are older, crustier folks than me, and more coming in all the time. Maybe we can start an Old Farts thread, where we just post reminiscings or talk about meds, poop, and how studly we used to be!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette