News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

This may sound wrong...

Started by Shy, September 17, 2011, 05:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shy

...but I see faith synonymous with terrorism. Don't know much about either, so may have the wrong wording, but the thought makes sense.

People are scared to go to hell, so they do what they are told to do by the church or bible. They are terrified of hell. Bringing fear to the masses aids in control and the need for leadership to control.

Just to think, to get a bachelors degree here in the bible belt I have to take an old testament class and a new testament class. I may prefer the calculus class. (I suck at math! lol)

Guess I'm venting some things that have been on my mind.   

The Magic Pudding

I don't think the words faith and terrorism share a similar meaning.

Asymmetric warfare" can describe a conflict in which the resources of two belligerents differ in essence and in the struggle, interact and attempt to exploit each other's characteristic weaknesses.

If one side lacks military power or even the power to convince it may use terror tactics.

Suicide bombing may have an association with faith, but if someone dropped a bomb on my family I might give it a go.

Shy

Maybe it was the first terror tactic. But it sure is strikes terror in people to do what is expected from actions to money.

I know about asymmetrical warfare oddly enough from watching some show about if aliens attacked earth...that would be our only hope. 

xSilverPhinx

I think faith has more to do with coercive manipulation. Terror tactics are a bit different, IMO.

Edited to clarify: I don't faith faith in itself to be mind control, but the phobic-inducing part of it is.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Well, I wouldn't mind it too terribly if christians blew themselves up (without hurting anyone. XP)

Anyway, some of them are kinda terrorists, but mostly cowards, hiding behind death threats and picket signs.  Either way, it's wrong, and I wish the lot of them would comit massive suicide. >___>
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 19, 2011, 02:01:39 PM
I wish the lot of them would comit massive suicide. >___>
HEY!!! MY line!  >:(

:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

I saw it on your desk, so I stole it.  XP
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 19, 2011, 02:01:39 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind it too terribly if christians blew themselves up (without hurting anyone. XP)

Anyway, some of them are kinda terrorists, but mostly cowards, hiding behind death threats and picket signs.  Either way, it's wrong, and I wish the lot of them would comit massive suicide. >___>

Let's say there was a virus that struck the earth. It killed everyone except 10 people. You were one of them. Everyone was atheists, well, almost everyone. There was a man and a woman that were devout Christians. You know that this group of 10 would be a new beginning for humanity. But with it is the disease of religion. What would you do? Would you try and eradicate this disease, or would you let humanity poison itself all over again?

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on September 19, 2011, 07:44:18 PM
What would you do? Would you try and eradicate this disease, or would you let humanity poison itself all over again?
I'd probably turn murderous on the spot, but that's hardly surprising...

That said, is ten enough to repopulate..? Won't we need the gene pool of at least several hundred for that?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on September 19, 2011, 11:29:34 PM
That said, is ten enough to repopulate..? Won't we need the gene pool of at least several hundred for that?
We all come from Adm and Eve right?

Although, as I understand it, incest is a sin. So without original sin. It would have all ended there. Adam and Eve's kids would have eventually died and heaven would be Adam, Eve, the kids and god. Of course there would have been no Jesus, because there would have been no Mary. So really the Christians should be very thankful of sin.

Tank

I think I kill all 10, including myself, and let evolution have another go.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on September 20, 2011, 08:08:59 AM
I think I kill all 10, including myself, and let evolution have another go.
So if you were one and I was another of the ten, we could kill everyone else and then shoot each other, old war movie style  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

You don't have to kill the last ten people to give evolution another go.

Seems to be a very straight forward procedure.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 20, 2011, 08:29:28 AM
Seems to be a very straight forward procedure.
...Which in the world of medicine has been known to reverse itself, or so I've heard
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.