News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

John 3:16 at football games

Started by Too Few Lions, September 16, 2011, 06:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

The other day, me and a friend were reminiscing how you just don't seem to get those 'John 3:16' placards at World Cup or Olympic games any more. Particularly when Catholic countries were playing at the World Cup. I guess poor religious nuts from South America just can't afford to go any more, or maybe we're just not as devout a species as we used to be.

We were then thinking it might be amusing to go to an event at the Olympics with a big placard with a biblical verse on it that wasn't so nice or pleasant and see if we could get it on TV. I was thinking maybe Isaiah 34.1-3 for starters, and was just wondering what choice verses everyone else might choose in this hypothetical situation. And it's hypothetical so I don't want to hear anyone say 'I wouldn't do that' or 'I don't like sports!'

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isaiah%2034.1-3&version=GNT

thought this would be nice for starters  :D

Recusant

The Old Testament has an abundance of nastiness, but Christians can be very selective regarding its contents. They can't do that so easily with quotes from the New Testament.  Luke 14:26

QuoteIf any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gawen

I like this thread. Too easy...

Just the New Testament

Mark 8:34: Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Mark 6: 8: These were his instructions: "Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts.

Mark 3: 21: And when his family heard about it, they went out to seize him, for people were saying, 'He is beside himself [crazy]. He is possessed by Beelzebub

One guy can have this placard
Luke 19:27: But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me."
The guy standing next to him can have this one
Luke 6:26: "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Luke 14: 26: "If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 

Luke 18: 22: When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Luke 16: 17: 17: It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

Matthew 7: 22-23: Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23: Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you...                                                                                                             

Matthew 12: 47-50: Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." 48: He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49: Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50: For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Matthew 10: 1: I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. (Republican Presidential candidates could learn from this)

Matthew 5:43:  "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven."

Matthew 5: 39: But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil.  But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also

Matthew 10: 23: When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another.

Matthew 6: 19: "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal...

Matthew 6: 25: "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Matthew 18: 3: And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 6: 1: "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Matthew 8: 21-22: Another of the disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." 22: But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

Matthew 19: 12: For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.

Matthew 5: 30: And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

John 6: 53:  Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

John 3:30: "He must increase but I must decrease."

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Too Few Lions

Lovely stuff, I'm buying you a ticket to the Olympics Gawen. In fact I'm buying you lots of tickets, and I want to see a ventriloquist dummy dressed as Jesus with a placard with unpleasant Bible verse numbers on at every event!

Gawen

I'd love to TFL. Gonna need a place to stay, though...*grinnin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Gawen on September 22, 2011, 12:50:58 PM
I'd love to TFL. Gonna need a place to stay, though...*grinnin*
I live 100 odd miles away from london and I've got a spare room you could kip in. Maybe we could wear 'God hates the Olympics' t-shirts and wave the placards at a few believers as they're coming out of Church for good measure. After all Theodosius did outlaw the original Olympic games for being a pagan festival in the fourth century!