News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

My Introduction, please be good to me :)

Started by LukevanVeith, September 15, 2011, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukevanVeith

I found that almost all religion is selfish... Other thing that annoys me is "God creates human to love Him". Why God need to do it in the first place if God is already perfect? Why he makes hell and heaven? Why there are rich and poor, while the poor always hit by bad things? Why God make idiots and damn geniuses ???
Anyway, I live in a country with the most Muslims population in the world, educated in Christian, 16 years old (this year 17), poor but my family could bought me computer and internet. Well, I become an atheist because of many things, some of them are stated above.
I am a weak atheist, because I still believe in the presence of God. Well, I think this is enough for now, because I'm still confused and I can't clear my minds yet.
My primary language is not English, so sorry if my English is bad. Anyway, this is my first time I post in a forum.

Please, guide me to enlightenment...
Be good to me  :)

Tank

Hello LukevanVeith

Your English is good enough for a forum, not perfect, but good enough and nobody will be upset by it. You might be asked to expalin what you mean but no too often.

As you have been brought up a Christian in a Muslim country I expect you will have a lot to tell us.

And you need have no fear of anybody being nasty to you here.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

LukevanVeith

Thx Chris.
I'm learning too here, so don't bother to ask :)
Well, it is a bit difficult to tell, but, I will do my best
One of major reasons why I choose to be an atheist is because I often feel unfairness in my life.
I have a question Chris, why you choose to be an atheist?

Tank

Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 03:05:53 PM
Thx Chris.
One of major reasons why I choose to be an atheist is because I often feel unfairness in my life.
Well I was born in England in Dec 1959. My father was an atheist and my mother a Christian. I was taken to church by my Mother and discussed everything with my Father. I never became a believer. My Mother to often could not answer my questions and expected me to just believe God did it. When my Father did not know an answer he simply said he didn't know and to go and find out and tell him what I found. My Father's way felt more honest.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

LukevanVeith

Quote from: Tank on September 15, 2011, 03:11:04 PM
Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 03:05:53 PM
Thx Chris.
Well I was born in England in Dec 1959. My father was an atheist and my mother a Christian. I was taken to church by my Mother and discussed everything with my Father. I never became a believer. My Mother to often could not answer my questions and expected me to just believe God did it. When my Father did not know an answer he simply said he didn't know and to go and find out and tell him what I found. My Father's way felt more honest.
My country rejects atheism because once, my there are a coup de tat related to communism, so, I am in Christian Community in my school (my school major religion is Muslim). Usually I asked to read a bible first before asking question, kinda annoying because I'm a type of person who doesn't like reading book (except Campbell). Once, I ask a worship leader about other religion fate, and he said that they will go to hell because they don't believe in Him. This bother me so much... When I ask questions that they can't answer, they ask me to tighten my bond with God and deepen my faith, the hell...
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 15, 2011, 03:14:38 PM
Hello neighbour.
Hello there :)

LukevanVeith

So Chris, and everyone, please guide me to enlightenment...

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on September 15, 2011, 02:43:24 PM

But... But... What if Asmodean wakes up in the foulest of moods and therefor in need of some major nastiness to others..?  :'( Oh wait..! That's why god created religious trolls..!  ;D

Welcome, Luke.

I'm not sure we can guide you to enlightenment, as enlightenment tends to be a highly individual thing, but we can point you in the right direction while you are seeking it.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Firstly, I don't think you should be looking for people to guide you to enlightenment, that really is something you should do yourself. Read around, and look at all the sides of the argument.

Actually weak atheists don't feel the presence of god, that would be more of a weak theist. Do you feel you lean more towards theism (belief in a personal god) or deism (god created the universe, but does not interfere in it)?

If you want to figure out what suits you best and would really like to test your faith, you could go directly for the strongest reasons you still have a lingering belief.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

LukevanVeith

Quote from: Asmodean on September 15, 2011, 05:00:52 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 15, 2011, 02:43:24 PM

But... But... What if Asmodean wakes up in the foulest of moods and therefor in need of some major nastiness to others..?  :'( Oh wait..! That's why god created religious trolls..!  ;D

Welcome, Luke.

I'm not sure we can guide you to enlightenment, as enlightenment tends to be a highly individual thing, but we can point you in the right direction while you are seeking it.

Thx
I appreciate any help :)
ummm, Asmodean??
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 15, 2011, 05:52:29 PM
Welcome!

Firstly, I don't think you should be looking for people to guide you to enlightenment, that really is something you should do yourself. Read around, and look at all the sides of the argument.

Actually weak atheists don't feel the presence of god, that would be more of a weak theist. Do you feel you lean more towards theism (belief in a personal god) or deism (god created the universe, but does not interfere in it)?

If you want to figure out what suits you best and would really like to test your faith, you could go directly for the strongest reasons you still have a lingering belief.
Thx. For your information, for now, I am rebelling God and yet I lost my believe in His presence, that's why I called myself a weak atheist (Because my mind still accepting His presence).

Anyway Guys, do your life are good enough?

xSilverPhinx

Sorry, but I don't really understand...you lost your belief in his presence yet your mind still accepts his presence? ??? Could you elaborate further?

Anyways, to answer your second question, I would consider my life to be normal, with problems that I have to solve obviously, but not of the religious or anti-religious type.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Whitney

welcome to haf
Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 06:24:12 PM
I am rebelling God and yet I lost my believe in His presence, that's why I called myself a weak atheist (Because my mind still accepting His presence).

That would actually make you more of a weak (agnostic) theist.  An atheist doesn't have any belief in god; not even a little.  A weak atheist is just someone who doesn't believe in god but doesn't think it is possible to definitively say that no god could possibly exist; most weak theists are only weak (agnostic) towards the deist concept of god.

LukevanVeith

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 15, 2011, 06:28:53 PM
Sorry, but I don't really understand...you lost your belief in his presence yet your mind still accepts his presence? ??? Could you elaborate further?

Anyways, to answer your second question, I would consider my life to be normal, with problems that I have to solve obviously, but not of the religious or anti-religious type.
In other words, I don't lost all of my belief yet (so I'm not 100% atheist). One of many reasons that make me still believe in the presence of God is miracle. There are a lot of healing (such as curing blind person, broken family make up), but, yet I still skeptical about it because I never seen one in my own eyes.
That's way I need enlightenment in my mind by you guys.
Quote from: Whitney on September 15, 2011, 06:47:34 PM
welcome to haf
Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 06:24:12 PM
I am rebelling God and yet I lost my believe in His presence, that's why I called myself a weak atheist (Because my mind still accepting His presence).

That would actually make you more of a weak (agnostic) theist.  An atheist doesn't have any belief in god; not even a little.  A weak atheist is just someone who doesn't believe in god but doesn't think it is possible to definitively say that no god could possibly exist; most weak theists are only weak (agnostic) towards the deist concept of god.
Oh, I see... Thx for your information.

So, am I accepted in this forum?

Whitney

Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 11:47:59 PM
So, am I accepted in this forum?

We accept everyone...there are chrsitians, muslims, agnostics etc on here too

Sandra Craft

Quote from: LukevanVeith on September 15, 2011, 11:47:59 PM
One of many reasons that make me still believe in the presence of God is miracle. There are a lot of healing (such as curing blind person, broken family make up), but, yet I still skeptical about it because I never seen one in my own eyes.

I've seen things such as that, but I don't consider them miracles -- both those examples have very natural explanations, or (in the case of blindness spontaneously healing, for instance) the possibility of a natural explanation can't be dismissed.  I think sometimes when we're wavering between lifelong, indoctrinated beliefs and what our reason tells us, we can mistake awe for the wonder of nature or real mysteries that don't yet have an explanation for the presence of something supernatural.  At least, that was part of my confusion when I was much younger and struggling between what I'd been told and what made sense. 

Before I forget, welcome to the forum!  ;)
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany