News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hahahaha...Tea Party

Started by fyv0h, September 13, 2011, 01:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyv0h

Anybody watching this freak show? Who's your favorite retard? I like Perry's smirk when people diss him.
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

fyv0h

And EVERYBODY'S smirk when Bachmann talks.

لا إله

Sandra Craft

Quote from: fyv0h on September 13, 2011, 01:39:41 AM
Anybody watching this freak show? Who's your favorite retard? I like Perry's smirk when people diss him.

I can't handle those people, I really can't.  I used not to understand what people meant by "not know whether to laugh or cry", and then I saw the guy with the "keep Gov't out of our Medicare" sign.  Now I know and wish I didn't.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

I have a particular appreciation for the Cult of The Paul. (For our non-US members, I'm talking about Ron Paul. Here's a compilation of bills he's proposed or sponsored in the US House of Representatives.) It's near perfection. The grandfatherly figure who held a principled stand against the war in Iraq, and shows such supreme faith (if you don't listen too closely) in the glory and wisdom of the American people. Yet he seems to want to return the country to the late 19th century, in all the worst ways. His followers won't hear a word said against him. OK, most of them seem to be more coherent than the typical Palin/Bachman/Perry supporters, but I still consider them part of the Tea Party phenomenon. I hear he's very popular on college campuses these days.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

I think the view from the UK now is that all-in-all the American revolution was a good thing as the vast majority of the nutters ended up on your side of the pond.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on September 13, 2011, 07:37:53 AM
I think the view from the UK now is that all-in-all the American revolution was a good thing as the vast majority of the nutters ended up on your side of the pond.
Yesh... Sucks for the few decent people who somehow managed to end up there though.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on September 13, 2011, 10:02:53 AM
Yesh... Sucks for the few decent people who somehow managed to end up there though.
Quite true, there are loads of decent people in the USA who unfortunatly get shouted down by the fuckwits on TV. One can only hope that when it comes to the ballet box that these morons get shown that air time doesn't guarantee victory. I suppose the upside of the TV air time is that nobody can be in any doubt what these people stand for.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Wish we could switch them out for the criminals that Australia got.  Not that I'm wishing nutters on Australia, it just seems that they got a much better deal.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 13, 2011, 03:19:32 PM

Wish we could switch them out for the criminals that Australia got.  Not that I'm wishing nutters on Australia, it just seems that they got a much better deal.
I'd go for that. Can't even start to imagine what it would be like to have Ron Paul with control of the biggest nuclear arsenal on Earth.

fyv0h

Quote from: Recusant on September 13, 2011, 06:52:42 AM
I have a particular appreciation for the Cult of The Paul. (For our non-US members, I'm talking about Ron Paul. Here's a compilation of bills he's proposed or sponsored in the US House of Representatives.) It's near perfection. The grandfatherly figure who held a principled stand against the war in Iraq, and shows such supreme faith (if you don't listen too closely) in the glory and wisdom of the American people. Yet he seems to want to return the country to the late 19th century, in all the worst ways. His followers won't hear a word said against him. OK, most of them seem to be more coherent than the typical Palin/Bachman/Perry supporters, but I still consider them part of the Tea Party phenomenon. I hear he's very popular on college campuses these days.

He's the only one who makes any sense in that group, so we KNOW he won't get the republican nod.

لا إله

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 13, 2011, 03:42:05 PM
I'd go for that. Can't even start to imagine what it would be like to have Ron Paul with control of the biggest nuclear arsenal on Earth.

Try imagining Rick Perry with his finger on the button.  That's enough to make me find Mitt Romney acceptable.
Sandy

fyv0h

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 14, 2011, 04:13:09 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 13, 2011, 03:42:05 PM

Try imagining Rick Perry with his finger on the button.  That's enough to make me find Mitt Romney acceptable.

That's enough to make Bachmann acceptable! Nah....just kidding. She's still the queen idiot.

لا إله

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 13, 2011, 03:19:32 PM

Your society did receive a seeding of old country crims.  Follow ye hear to wiki wisdom.

I've said the same thing recently but I'll say it again, the need for a place for the Brits to dispose of their loathsome soiled handkerchief stealers was born of the loss of their primary American colony.

We had this Tea Party style convoy make their way to the nation's capital.
The questioned was asked, are you convoyans an Oz tea party?
NO! we are insulted by the comparison and most of us don't know what this tea party is anyway.

Will

I have to say that I watch the Tea Party as a fascinating thing. A lot of people may not know this, but the original Tea Party of the Boston variety was not a protest against taxation without representation, but was rather a protest against the British East India Corporation paying off and getting huge benefits from the British Crown that small, local businessmen in the American Colonies couldn't compete with. Essentially, it was a large, powerful corporation lobbying the government for special tax breaks in order to create a monopoly. In 2011, the Tea Party actually represents the interests of large corporations like this.

More specifically looking at the debate, we see that the astroturf organization created in large part by the Koch brothers in order to drive the right even more to the extreme is working exactly as planned. The Tea Party became, in 2009, an extremist subset of the GOP, pushing an even more radical conservative platform which bears a close resemblance to anarchocapitalism which is intended to support the continuing American shift over to total plutocracy. Perry, Romney and Palin... err I mean Bachmann are all in a race to a place farther right than any presidential candidate in American history, in order to secure the nomination of an organization that is, essentially, both entirely controlled by the right, but is also entirely in control of the right.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 14, 2011, 03:34:33 PM
Your society did receive a seeding of old country crims.  Follow ye hear to wiki wisdom.

Yeah, we got some criminals but let's face it, most of the early immigrants were religious loons and it set the tone -- permanently, I'm afraid.

But then there's this:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/12/tea-party-debate-health-care_n_959354.html

Is it too much to hope that between this and cheering the number of executions in Texas, the Tea Party has finally gone too far and will begin to lose momentum?  How long can a group be this openly vicious and still get support and pandering from anyone, even the Republicans?
Sandy