Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Tom62 on July 14, 2012, 03:42:18 PM
Quote from: The Black Jester on July 14, 2012, 02:48:07 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on July 14, 2012, 07:46:22 AM
Whole house is full of cartons that still need to be unpacked after our move, so i made her an ultimatum. You'll have to unpack and use that stuff within a year, otherwise we'll get rid of it.

A useful rule, but ultimatums have the nasty tendency to backfire...I'm just sayin'...
Looks like that you know my wife ;D

I hope for your sake that he doesn't.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Black Jester

Quote from: En_Route on July 14, 2012, 03:50:44 PM
Whole house is full of cartons that still need to be unpacked after our move, so i made her an ultimatum. You'll have to unpack and use that stuff within a year, otherwise we'll get rid of it.

A useful rule, but ultimatums have the nasty tendency to backfire...I'm just sayin'...

Particularly since I am known to be morally dissolute...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

En_Route

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 14, 2012, 03:53:25 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 14, 2012, 03:50:44 PM

Particularly since I am known to be morally dissolute...

I have heard tell that there are so many notches on your bedpost that it's in danger of collapse.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 14, 2012, 04:52:50 AM
The weather in Juneau, Alaska is dreadful.  No, not the kind of dreadful of which you're likely thinking, the kind that will pass in a minute, and we'll all get on with our lives.  No, the weather in Juneau is of an altogether more miserable order, the moreso because it's...well, there's no other way to put this...it's permanent.  It's not merely that it's always 42 degrees (Fahrenheit) and drizzling, it's that it's the kind of 42 degrees that seeps into each crevice of your skeletal structure, promising that you will never, ever be warm again.  The best comparison is perhaps with the mood of a sullen teenager.  It doesn't storm in Juneau, nor squall, nor fitfully shower...the weather settles in for a good brood.  Suicides are high, as is teenage pregancy and alcoholism, each of which has been alternately proposed as the local official pasttime.  

Given this fact of my background, it is little wonder that I now live in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  I could easily expostulate on the virtues of the sunsets, or indeed of the sunrises.  And it is truly, stupifyingly, mind-bendingly, and I'm very nearly certain, illegally beautiful here.  I can do no better than to quote the late Douglas Adams, who once wrote of the place:

QuoteIf you've never visited or spent time in Santa Fe, New Mexico, then let me say this: you're a complete idiot.

But what I can myself most readily, most joyfully report, is that it is, to my continued and deep satisfaction, dry.  And dry in a way that seeps into every crevice of your skeletal structure, promising that you will never, ever be damp again.

I absolutely love this description.  It is worthy of classic literature, and that is not a mere random compliment.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 14, 2012, 05:00:55 AM
I'm tempted to post a picture of my closet, just for hilarity's sake. Also, with a toddler and two cats running around, my apartment stays clean for approximately .5 seconds after we clean it.  

When I was younger, I stole a line from one of my professors.  "No children, no pets.  Good life."  Despite the daily extra cleaning Roscoe gives me, though, she is a delighftful addition to the household.  At the end of August she will have been here one year.

Still, that does not mean I want another one or, for that matter, a toddler.  Although I am very good with children, I have my own quote: "I love children--as long as they belong to someone else."

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 14, 2012, 04:46:41 AM

I swear to Asmo (which is who we swear by around here), Roscoe reminds me of an old Hollywood actress but I can't put my finger on who.  Audrey Hepburn, maybe?  It's definitely something to do with the head tilt.

I swear to Asmo that I know exactly what you mean!  Since the other pictures I have posted of Roscoe are a few months old, here is a picture of her on the same bed that I took ten minutes ago to send to the vacationing family in Hawaii and post here.  Flirty cat!

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 14, 2012, 05:33:45 AM
Woah, we're posting pictures of our houses now? Better get some pictures of the barn since I practically live there now.  :D

I would love to see photos of other people's homes/rooms.  It helps to get to know all of you.

-----

To all: Is there a thread in which members post their pictures?  Would love to put faces to screen names.

TheWalkingContradiction

Guess why I'm not sending pictures of our house. Our house is one of the most disorganized places in the world. My wife loves to collect stuff (shoes, clothing, scrapbook and photo stuff) for which simply we don't have enough room. Whole house is full of cartons that still need to be unpacked after our move, so i made her an ultimatum. You'll have to unpack and use that stuff within a year, otherwise we'll get rid of it.

I hear you.  My parents and sister are pack rats, and when I lived at home my bedroom was the only isle of calm in a sea of chachkas, oversized wall hangings, more shoes than Imelda Marcos has ever dreamed of tossed everywhere, gongs...  

Last week one of my ESL classes was working on "The Shoe of Jewels," which is the Vietnamese Cinderella (and predates the Western one).  I told them the story about how I had scrubbed the floors when I was sixteen--only to have my parents come back from a party and walk on them with muddy feet.  As I described having to discipline my parents, the class roared with laughter.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 14, 2012, 07:22:25 PM

-----

To all: Is there a thread in which members post their pictures?  Would love to put faces to screen names.

There's no real dedicated thread for pictures of people (not everyone feels comfortable sharing them online).
The last time a few pictures floated around was in the icons thread, I think. Actually, I was thinking the other day about how I wanted to take down the pictures I had of myself here, so get a look while you can.  :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 14, 2012, 07:29:59 PM

-----

To all: Is there a thread in which members post their pictures?  Would love to put faces to screen names.

There's no real dedicated thread for pictures of people (not everyone feels comfortable sharing them online).
The last time a few pictures floated around was in the icons thread, I think. Actually, I was thinking the other day about how I wanted to take down the pictures I had of myself here, so get a look while you can.  :P

There is this one http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=8695.0

And don't you go wiping these pics 'cause I pointed you there.

Siz

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 14, 2012, 07:18:43 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 14, 2012, 04:46:41 AM

I swear to Asmo (which is who we swear by around here), Roscoe reminds me of an old Hollywood actress but I can't put my finger on who.  Audrey Hepburn, maybe?  It's definitely something to do with the head tilt.

I swear to Asmo that I know exactly what you mean!

Definitely Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 07:37:11 PM

-----

To all: Is there a thread in which members post their pictures?  Would love to put faces to screen names.

The last time a few pictures floated around was in the icons thread, I think. Actually, I was thinking the other day about how I wanted to take down the pictures I had of myself here, so get a look while you can.  :P

Sorry...  "Wiping" the pics?  This is yet another Internet term I don't know.

But if they are dirty, you've picked the right anal retentive to clean them!   :) ;) :D

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 14, 2012, 08:05:49 PM

Definitely Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys

Roscoe hisses: "Exucsssssse me.  I'm prettier!"

TheWalkingContradiction

-----

Just saw them--and you're gorgeous!  (And when a gay man says a woman is gorgeous, you know it's true!)

Don't take them down.

Tank

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 14, 2012, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 07:37:11 PM

-----

Sorry...  "Wiping" the pics?  This is yet another Internet term I don't know.

But if they are dirty, you've picked the right anal retentive to clean them!   :) ;) :D
As we allow members as young as 13 we don't allow nudity on the board. The youngest member ATM is 16.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.