News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Quote from: texasatheist on April 23, 2012, 10:55:51 PM

I live in San Antonio TX.  More churches than gas stations (hypothetically but still debatable) and everything else is about religion.  Minor league team?  The Missions, after the missions that around the city of various historical significance (think Alamo!).  if the US is approximately 85% believers in general then here in TX it's probably closer to 95%.  Everybody is religious from the little fish on every small business' front sign or on every other car bumper across the state to religious culture coming up in discussions with complete strangers. 

On the street, I'll say what I believe and ask you not to discuss it with me.  With my family I'm a huge closet atheist afraid to lose them to some silly book.  Online I'm forced to conceal my identity due to repercussions with work and my clients or from my family discovering my true beliefs, or lack thereof. I don't fear for my life but I do fear loss of clients/income and never seeing my family again and in some ways I think that is worse.

Another Texan!  I used to live in Converse.  I had a research job at Ft. Sam but got laid off in 2010.  Ended up back down in Victoria working a considerably lesser paying job for the State.  I did enjoy my time up there but I'm trying to work my way back up to Dallas....that way I can pester Whitney  ;D

texasatheist

Hey Squid, I drive by Victoria all time on my way to Houston.  Sounds like a nice place though!  Kidding of course.  Hope you make it back to Dallas, I'd love to move that way but our company doesn't have a branch there and I'm not willing to quit so I can move up there. 

Are you going to any of the meetup stuff here like the Separation of Church and State rally this weekend or anything else?  Perhaps we'll meet up at an event here in TX, I'm trying to be more actively involved with the community. 

Buddy

I guess it is time that I did this.

Right now, I live in a little town in northwestern Indiana named Plymouth. The Yellow River runs right through the middle, and the downtown has been around since the 1800s. Population is 11,000 people.

This is Michigan Street, which is our main street. I live right off of it and I pass this area when I walk home from school

This is our local park:

This is the best diner in town:

And this is our fire department:

Overall, it's a pretty nice place to live. I dislike the general flatness of it though.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Budhorse, great pics! It reminds me SO strongly of a few smaller towns I've been in or lived in, I love smaller towns like that :)

Like the song goes, "Let's take a drive down the middle of Main where there's no lines to mark the lanes... and they've never heard of rush hour, and the tallest building is the water tower... and at the end of any westbound street, you can still see the sun go down. I'm moving to a small town..."  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on April 24, 2012, 04:17:21 PM
Budhorse, great pics! It reminds me SO strongly of a few smaller towns I've been in or lived in, I love smaller towns like that :)

Like the song goes, "Let's take a drive down the middle of Main where there's no lines to mark the lanes... and they've never heard of rush hour, and the tallest building is the water tower... and at the end of any westbound street, you can still see the sun go down. I'm moving to a small town..."  ;D

Thanks, but I just got those off the website. :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 24, 2012, 04:21:24 PM

Hey, I just figured something out! At one time, Indiana was about 15% prairie... and you live in a flat area.... and you have a little horse...

So... you have...

A little horse on the prairie!  ;D

*Ba dum tsshhh*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on April 24, 2012, 04:25:58 PM
Hey, I just figured something out! At one time, Indiana was about 15% prairie... and you live in a flat area.... and you have a little horse...

So... you have...

*Ba dum tsshhh*

LOL!

xSilverPhinx

So... you have...

*Ba dum tsshhh*

Does it also run on caffeine? :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 25, 2012, 04:33:28 PM

So... you have...

*Ba dum tsshhh*

Psh, I wish. Then feed costs wouldn't be as high

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 25, 2012, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 25, 2012, 04:33:28 PM

So... you have...

*Ba dum tsshhh*

Psh, I wish. Then feed costs wouldn't be as high

A horse who wants carrots instead:
"Hay hay hay hay??? Neigh neigh neigh neigh!"

Squid

Quote from: texasatheist on April 24, 2012, 03:02:00 PM

Hey Squid, I drive by Victoria all time on my way to Houston.  Sounds like a nice place though!  Kidding of course.  Hope you make it back to Dallas, I'd love to move that way but our company doesn't have a branch there and I'm not willing to quit so I can move up there.

I'm hoping to find something up in that area and move up there afterward.  I have family and friends up there so I'd have somewhere to stay right away until I could get a place. 

QuoteAre you going to any of the meetup stuff here like the Separation of Church and State rally this weekend or anything else?  Perhaps we'll meet up at an event here in TX, I'm trying to be more actively involved with the community. 

I haven't been to anything in a long while.

AlisonFox66

I am from Alloa

Just realised that if you don't know the UK well you won't know where it is

It is a small town near Stirling which is in central Scotland
It is not quite in the highlands but quite close

We have some great hills nearby

We also have a newly opened railway line  to the town which must be unique in the UK

Tank

Quote from: AlisonFox66 on May 02, 2012, 09:36:11 AM
I am from Alloa

Just realised that if you don't know the UK well you won't know where it is

It is a small town near Stirling which is in central Scotland
It is not quite in the highlands but quite close

We have some great hills nearby

We also have a newly opened railway line  to the town which must be unique in the UK
Bloody hell you are in Scotland!!!  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

The downside of the internet is that I don't get to hear everyone's cool accents.  :(
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 02, 2012, 02:54:38 PM
The downside of the internet is that I don't get to hear everyone's cool accents.  :(

I have to be careful when I request three kilos of thigh fillets please.