News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunshineSTATEofMind

Good afternoon! My name is Steph. Although I was never really religious in the first place, when I first started thinking about what I believed my freshman year of high school, I realized I did not believe in a god. For about two years I toyed with the language, merely because I didn't want to say 'atheist' as it was still too stigmatized for me. I said I was agnostic or shrugged off questions. I told a few friends my junior year of high school and my parents found out through me just a few years back. Now I am pretty open about it although I still haven't told any relatives. I share openly at college and have great conversations. Now I openly declare I am an atheist and I'm very proud of it! I've never felt such that I knew myself as much as I do now.

Hello to all! I'm glad to be on the forums.
"The sea is unsparing. We're all drifting away- away from you. I pray for you now. But hoping to God on high is like clinging to straws while drowning- oh- Realize! Realize what you are...!"

"Afraid if we dance we might die...
Rock the world, live through you - why?
Don't you know, when you give life, then you become what you are!"

- Dave Matthews

Sandra Craft

Quote from: SummerintheDam on January 19, 2012, 09:00:15 PM
. . . raised in Bakersfield (CA), which, if anyone has been to, would know why I no longer live there. :)

Well, yes . . .

. . . and no.

This is the problem with everywhere you go in CA, you have to know what to avoid and when and how to avoid it.  I think I saw Bakersfield in the worst way possible -- at 1:30 a.m. during a 45 min layover at the Greyhound Bus station.  You know all you need to know when you find out that the restrooms in the Bakersfield Greyhounds Bus station are upstairs.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Thunder Road

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 20, 2012, 02:25:27 AM
Quote from: SummerintheDam on January 19, 2012, 09:00:15 PM
. . . raised in Bakersfield (CA), which, if anyone has been to, would know why I no longer live there. :)

Well, yes . . .

. . . and no.

This is the problem with everywhere you go in CA, you have to know what to avoid and when and how to avoid it.  I think I saw Bakersfield in the worst way possible -- at 1:30 a.m. during a 45 min layover at the Greyhound Bus station.  You know all you need to know when you find out that the restrooms in the Bakersfield Greyhounds Bus station are upstairs.

ok I'll bite.....what?
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Thunder Road

Quote from: SunshineSTATEofMind on January 20, 2012, 02:00:45 AM
Good afternoon! My name is Steph. Although I was never really religious in the first place, when I first started thinking about what I believed my freshman year of high school, I realized I did not believe in a god. For about two years I toyed with the language, merely because I didn't want to say 'atheist' as it was still too stigmatized for me. I said I was agnostic or shrugged off questions. I told a few friends my junior year of high school and my parents found out through me just a few years back. Now I am pretty open about it although I still haven't told any relatives. I share openly at college and have great conversations. Now I openly declare I am an atheist and I'm very proud of it! I've never felt such that I knew myself as much as I do now.

Probably not the right thread to talk about this, but I will anyway.  :P

I felt the same exact way through almost all of high school.  Now in my first year at college I finally "came out."
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

SunshineSTATEofMind

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 20, 2012, 03:30:32 AM
Quote from: SunshineSTATEofMind on January 20, 2012, 02:00:45 AM

Probably not the right thread to talk about this, but I will anyway.  :P

I felt the same exact way through almost all of high school.  Now in my first year at college I finally "came out."

Isn't it interesting how college brings out new dialogue? I think it may have a lot to do with the 'clean slate feeling'. I was like... I don't give a $&@! what anyone thinks about what I believe. Thankfully, that is carrying over to all other parts of my life... :)

"The sea is unsparing. We're all drifting away- away from you. I pray for you now. But hoping to God on high is like clinging to straws while drowning- oh- Realize! Realize what you are...!"

"Afraid if we dance we might die...
Rock the world, live through you - why?
Don't you know, when you give life, then you become what you are!"

- Dave Matthews

xSilverPhinx

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

BFE.  Actually I am from a town called Rochelle Illinois that you may be able to find on a map, if you get a Really detailed map. It was actually a really good place to become an atheist.  All of the people that actually did go to church were fake, and had a love affair with Fox News esp. Glenn Beck.  That right there is enough to drive anyone away. The police were pretty friendly though.  They always helped me into the squad car  ;D  Side note: Magic you are fracking hilarious.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Mocha Chief

Lol I live in South Georgia. Pretty fun place. I have the Redneck accent lol XD

Buddy

I don't think I've ever done this. Born in Malmö, few miles from the shoreline. Was able to to Copenhagen a few times a year. Fun, but too many Danes on bikes for my liking.  :P Moved to Philadelphia for about 6 months right before I turned twelve. Finally to about 45 minutes south of South Bend Indiana. I like Indiana, but it's too flat.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xXxWashburnxXx

I live in a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky which is on the border of Indiana and Kentucky. I have a redneck accent because it is a very redneck suburb.
Evolution is JUST a theory. Ya know, like gravity!

Harmonie

I live in Northeast Oklahoma. I was born and raised there as well. There's nothing special about the place. The weather is noticeably more bipolar than other locations, but that's it.

I'd really like to move to the Northeast (US, not further NE in Oklahoma lol). I feel like I belong there. I definitely don't belong here, especially not if I become a teacher.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

xSilverPhinx

I just came back from a trip to São Paulo, Brazil, visiting my grandparents. This is the city's emblem:

I particularly like the latin motto, which translates to something like "I am not led, I lead".

Definitely one of the coolest out there.

statichaos

This kind of says it all.  I actually live in the neighborhood of Baldwin Hills, but I can see that sign from the landing on the outside staircase.  I absolutely adore this maddening, frustrating, and utterly fascinating city.