News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Road

Quote from: McQ on January 15, 2012, 03:49:03 AM

I can see my house in this picture!

No, not really. But it ain't too far out of the photo. Born in Abington, grew up near Ambler.

And was catholic,too. Shocker!

Oh neat.  I knew kids at my high school and a teacher too who were from Abington and Jenkintown and such areas.  Do you still live near Philly now?
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Anne D.

Ali, I love your avatar/icon. Really enjoyed reading your description of where you grew up and where you are now, especially the part about how the omnipresence of the big-box stores takes a toll on one's psyche. Sometime you'll have to share the story of why your dad called you Anne D. when you were little.

McQ

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 15, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
Quote from: McQ on January 15, 2012, 03:49:03 AM

I can see my house in this picture!

No, not really. But it ain't too far out of the photo. Born in Abington, grew up near Ambler.

And was catholic,too. Shocker!

Oh neat.  I knew kids at my high school and a teacher too who were from Abington and Jenkintown and such areas.  Do you still live near Philly now?

I'm out in Lancaster County now. It's nice. Close enough to go back and visit family, Philly, etc., but a slower pace of life and wide open spaces.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Thunder Road

And I'm sure you get along well with the Amish too, no?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

McQ

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 16, 2012, 03:51:05 AM

I like them better than most of my other neighbors, actually. They are a very "live and let live" group of folks, believe it or not! It's the evangelicals around here that I can't stand.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Thunder Road

Quote from: McQ on January 16, 2012, 04:21:20 AM

I like them better than most of my other neighbors, actually. They are a very "live and let live" group of folks, believe it or not! It's the evangelicals around here that I can't stand.

Interesting!  And nice to know that there's actually a group out there that both claims to be peaceful and actually is.

Tank

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 16, 2012, 07:48:44 AM
Quote from: McQ on January 16, 2012, 04:21:20 AM

Interesting!  And nice to know that there's actually a group out there that both claims to be peaceful and actually is.
There have been a nuber of TV programmes on the Amish recently and I have been impressed by the way they not only 'Talk the talk.' but 'Walk the walk.'
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2012, 07:51:50 AM
There have been a nuber of TV programmes on the Amish recently and I have been impressed by the way they not only 'Talk the talk.' but 'Walk the walk.'

Yeah Channel 4 seems to have an obsession with the Amish and Gypsy's for a good while now.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on January 16, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2012, 07:51:50 AM

Yeah Channel 4 seems to have an obsession with the Amish and Gypsy's for a good while now.
Cheap to make and nice human interest?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pytheas

the nice bits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5VcbfNmGbI
http://www.diafragma.gr/album/show_photo/40?album=giona

the geography, the weather, the sun

------------------------------------------

the not-so-nice bits

rife corruption, the lack of social consience and infrastructure
the level of "stupidity" is actively cultivated and maintained by the ruling classes and ghastly media
we are not abandoned, we are goaded, herded towards a wall
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Amicale

removed personal info.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Quote from: Anne D. on January 15, 2012, 09:12:04 PM
Ali, I love your avatar/icon. Really enjoyed reading your description of where you grew up and where you are now, especially the part about how the omnipresence of the big-box stores takes a toll on one's psyche. Sometime you'll have to share the story of why your dad called you Anne D. when you were little.

Oh thank you!  (Sorry, just saw this.)

It's pretty convoluted, but my dad always claims that when I was born, I looked like a Komodo Dragon.  So when I was really little, he called me Komodo.  Then he made up this song that he used to sing to to me (and sometimes still does) that goes "Alissa Anne de Komodo!  Anne of Komodo, the Dragon!"  (Alissa Anne is my full name).  So from that, I think maybe he called me Anne de Komodo for a while, and then it got shortened to Anne D.  Convoluted right?   ;D  I'm sure that's NOT why you are called Anne D.  LOL

SummerintheDam

Still pretty new to this site and just trying to get my 10 posts in.... :) Born in North Carolina, raised in Bakersfield (CA), which, if anyone has been to, would know why I no longer live there. :) Still have some family in Bako so unfortunately this is where my US holidays are spent when I go back to visit but at least it's warm and sunny (nevermind the pollution).... I currently live in Amsterdam (with my hubby and 2 daughters), but previously lived in Hong Kong for 10 years (after University)... So, small-town girl from Bako ends up spending a decade in Asia and now on my 2nd year in Europe.... and funnily enough this exposure has led me to question my christian upbringing.... :)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: SummerintheDam on January 19, 2012, 09:00:15 PMraised in Bakersfield (CA), which, if anyone has been to, would know why I no longer live there. :) Still have some family in Bako so unfortunately this is where my US holidays are spent when I go back to visit but at least it's warm and sunny (nevermind the pollution)....

Is it anything like this -

QuoteI was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, "You know you always have the
Lord by your side"

And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
Twenty red lights in his honor
Thank you Jesus, thank you lord
QuoteWell the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio
And all my dreams would come true
So I did, the next week, I got a prayer with a girl
Well, you know what kind of eyes she got

Anne D.

Quote from: Ali on January 19, 2012, 04:34:15 PM
Quote from: Anne D. on January 15, 2012, 09:12:04 PM

Oh thank you!  (Sorry, just saw this.)

It's pretty convoluted, but my dad always claims that when I was born, I looked like a Komodo Dragon.  So when I was really little, he called me Komodo.  Then he made up this song that he used to sing to to me (and sometimes still does) that goes "Alissa Anne de Komodo!  Anne of Komodo, the Dragon!"  (Alissa Anne is my full name).  So from that, I think maybe he called me Anne de Komodo for a while, and then it got shortened to Anne D.  Convoluted right?   ;D  I'm sure that's NOT why you are called Anne D.  LOL

What a cool story.  :D I'm told I resembled a conehead as a newborn. Much cooler to be a fierce Komodo dragon.