News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Your top ten computer games?

Started by Crow, September 01, 2011, 10:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

What are your top ten favorite computer games?

In no particular order mine are:

• Mother 3 (gameboy advance)
• Final Fantasy 6 (snes)
• Red Dead Redemption (xbox360/ps3)
• Viewtiful Joe (gamecube/ps2)
• Goldeneye (n64)
• Bayonetta (xbox360/ps3)
• Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
• The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (snes)
• Final Fantasy Tactics (playstation)
• Super Mario World (snes)
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

I alter between prefering one over the other so these in no particular order:

-Minecraft:lets you be creative with many possibilities, even though some designs are more complicated than others (If you're going for curved things, it might end up looking a bit odd...). A big time waster if there ever was one ;D
-Assassin's Creed (original, II and Brotherhood): Love the story plot, and is a generally good action/plot game. The first was a bit repetitive so it could get a bit boring at times, but I think they tried to lessen that aspect in the following games. I have high expectations for Revelations, which would be the final one.
- Age of Empires, Stronghold, Settlers: castle-building and empire maintaining strategy games. They're good, but once you get past the campaigns it can get  a bit repetitive.
-Total War: Didn't like it that much...
-The Witcher: RPG. Very long storyline but interesting. I'm going to buy Assassins of Kings soon enough.
-Frozen Synapse: Interesting for what it is, there's a good dose of uncertainty in this strategy game.
Portal and Portal 2: Almost forgot to mention this one. Highly recommended. Definitely one of the best games I've played.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Elder Scrolls*
Fallout*
Final Fantasy VII and, surprisingly, XIII
Assassin's Creed*
Heavy Rain
Dragon age*
Resident Evil*
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Neverwinter Nights*

*indicates a game series in which I like (or liked when games in question were new) all or most of the range.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Melmoth

Amnesia: the Dark Descent
System Shock 2
Half-Life and sequels
Galactic Civ 2
Unreal Tournament, the first one, haven't played the others
Machinarium
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Doom
Fallout 3

Quote from: xSilverPhinx-Frozen Synapse: Interesting for what it is, there's a good dose of uncertainty in this strategy game.

A friend of mine showed me this the other day. It looks very unique. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because it seems, from the trailer at least, like the sort of game that's got plenty of novelty value but not a lot else to offer once that wears off. Am I being a little prejudiced there, do you think, or is that a fair comment? I'll buy it if it's worth it.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

The Magic Pudding

Age of Empires II, I was a bit clunky and III didn't appeal.
Empire Earth and Empires Dawn of Modern World but not subsequent Empire Earth releases.
Wallace and Gromit, it was a Sony game and it had Wallace and Gromit in it.  Chicken Run, and it didn't have Wallace or Gromit, what was I thinking?
Age of Mythology
Lord of The Rings Battle For Middle Earth I not II.
Tombraider IV
Crimson Skies.
Airfix Dogfighter.
Simpsons Hit and Run
Minesweeper, I'm OK with the new Windows 7 version so don't say I don't appreciate new stuff.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Melmoth on September 02, 2011, 01:58:18 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx-Frozen Synapse: Interesting for what it is, there's a good dose of uncertainty in this strategy game.

A friend of mine showed me this the other day. It looks very unique. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because it seems, from the trailer at least, like the sort of game that's got plenty of novelty value but not a lot else to offer once that wears off. Am I being a little prejudiced there, do you think, or is that a fair comment? I'll buy it if it's worth it.

It's addictive if you already like that sort of stuff. What's interesting is that it generates an infinite amount of sets, so you can practically expect anything. There's also a multiplayer function (though I haven't tried that yet). The soundtrack is definitely worth it, but like everything else, after a few hours of playing and listening to it, it can get tiring.

If you want I can try to send send you a free copy (I got a free gift one when I bought it). I tried to send it to someone else but it didn't work...for some reason she didn't receive it.

Melmoth

QuoteIf you want I can try to send send you a free copy (I got a free gift one when I bought it). I tried to send it to someone else but it didn't work...for some reason she didn't receive it.

That would be wonderful, yes please! Would you need my email or my steam account for that? My steam account is "cementbaby." I'll send you my email in a pm if you need that - don't want spam bots picking it up.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Melmoth on September 02, 2011, 04:14:35 AM
QuoteIf you want I can try to send send you a free copy (I got a free gift one when I bought it). I tried to send it to someone else but it didn't work...for some reason she didn't receive it.
That would be wonderful, yes please! Would you need my email or my steam account for that? My steam account is "cementbaby." I'll send you my email in a pm if you need that - don't want spam bots picking it up.

I've tried sending using an e-mail address before but it didn't work but to send it via Steam I'll have to add you as a friend. Did you add a picture of an open mouth with teeth to your profile? Just to make sure...

Sweetdeath

I haven't played a lot of non console games.

I was addicted to Ragnarok online like crazy before my OS suicided.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Melmoth

Quote from: xSilverPhinxI've tried sending using an e-mail address before but it didn't work but to send it via Steam I'll have to add you as a friend. Did you add a picture of an open mouth with teeth to your profile? Just to make sure...

Yep, that's me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Melmoth on September 02, 2011, 05:07:16 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinxI've tried sending using an e-mail address before but it didn't work but to send it via Steam I'll have to add you as a friend. Did you add a picture of an open mouth with teeth to your profile? Just to make sure...

Yep, that's me.

Ok, I sent a friend invite. I'm fernie_lotz.

Edited to add: I was able to send it. I hope it works.

Davin

In no praticular order, these are the games I keep replaying:

Flashback (Various platforms)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Fade to Black (PC)
Adventures of Lolo (NES)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Master Blaster (NES)
Out of This World (SNES, Genesis, PC)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
No More Heroes (Wii)

I don't replay many newer games, but I liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Duke Nukem: Forever and Portal 1 & 2. About to tryout the new American McGee Alice game, I liked the first one.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Gawen

Silent Hunter III
Battle of Britain
Steel Panthers
B17
Red Orchestra

and....

Leisure Suit Larry

*laffin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Will

Wow, this is a tough one. I guess I'll list the ones already posted that I agree with:

Minecraft: It's my most recent addiction on PC, particularly multiplayer. I realized how awesome it was the first time I built the USS Defiant (from Star Trek: Deep Space 9) to scale. It took me about a week and it was epic. Now, I build stuff on public servers.

Portal: Funniest game I've ever played, and quite possibly the greatest puzzle game of all time.

Amnesia: to this day, I peek around corners slowly with a lantern when the power goes out. Easily the scariest game of all time and a real testament to the fact that interactive games are scarier than books or tv or movies.

Half-Life 2: This is the greatest PC game ever created by a long shot. It's that simple.

Some games not mentioned include,

Mechwarrior 2: This may be before some of your time, but back in 1995, a mech game came out that was a quantum leap in physics, gameplay and soundtrack. I actually still own a first generation iMac just so I can play this game in Mac OS 9.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: This was one of the first of the current generation of PC games I had the opportunity to play, then buy. It's a fantastic game with equal parts combat and stealth. I've played stealth games before, like Metal Gear Solid and such, but this was all the great parts of stealth combined with the best combat control system I've ever used.

Mass Effect 1 & 2: I was one of the few people disappointed by Bioshock, so I was hesitant to play Mass Effect. Fortunately, a friend insisted and I'm glad I did. The only story telling and world-building in a game I've ever seen come close to matching Half Life is in Mass Effect. There are solid characters, an engaging universe, a strong and well-developed story, and that facilitates a real connection to the game.

Sim City 2000: It takes a special game to get kids all over the world excited about urban planning.

Star Wars Battlefront: I'm a big Star Wars fan (so much so, I have the unedited cuts of the original trilogy on DVD), so when a quality Star Wars version of Battlefield came out, I was excited. The game is just plain fun.

Starcraft: Second place for the best PC game ever made, largely because of multiplayer. I can walk up to a complete stranger on the street (perhaps in South Korea) and say, "3V3 ZC NR20", and that person will not only know what I'm talking about, but they'll want it to be NR15 because NR20 gets too close to map max and no one wants that. I actually pioneered the Scout rush back in 1999 if you can believe it.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

MinnesotaMike

PS3-
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain

PC-
Warzone 2100
Portal
Audiosurf

PS2-
Ace Combat series
Gran Turismo 3 and 4
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, II, III
Star Wars Battlefront
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)