News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Incident at amusement park involving muslims

Started by Sweetdeath, August 31, 2011, 05:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

So, this happened in New York today at the Ride playland amusement park.

After celebrating Ramadan,    group of muslims  decided to go to park, but when muslim women refused to remove their headscarves, it got ugly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/wild-scene-erupts-at-playland-police-arrest-15-in-dispute-over-muslim-hijab/

This is not first time it happened.:
http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/family-sees-mother-strangled-by-hijab-in-freak-gokarting-accident-20100408-rvci.html#ixzz1WZUDZQWH

So I think the police did waaaay over react, I feel as if this was a safety issue, and it's not fair to conpromise safety for religious beliefs.

Edit: hnnn.. Perhaps I should of posted this in Religion?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Recusant

Sure, one could say that the police over-reacted, but that's how they respond when things get physical, in pretty much every situation. Their training tells them that when somebody struggles physically, they must maintain the upper hand, and a strong uncompromising response is the one sure way to do that. So I see it as standard policing practice at least from a US perspective. The park rent-a-cops seem to have started the physical stuff, which certainly isn't to their credit, but then the real police showed up, and they aren't supposed to mess around when there is a physical struggle going on.

The park rules make sense, and it sounds as if the organizers of the outing didn't take them into account, so in my opinion the blame for this can be laid to those organizers and the security staff at the park, but not the police.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sweetdeath

,Agreed good sir!
I also don't blame the police. I  do kinda want to start a new thread or wishef I posted this in religion section.

I think it's utterly absurb for muslims to not wish to remove their headscarves.  This has been a big ptoblem in Australia where women drivers/passengers do not wish to remove them at police highway checkpoints.

Fuck that. I'm sorry, but too bad. Like stevil once said, you wanna live in a certain society, you gotta abide by the rules.

Apparently the tout group was told before hand that all head gear, including hats and scarves could not be worn on the rides for safety reasons.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Interesting article, but all of the bigoted comments at the bottom make me shutter.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Whitney

Evilbeagle

Well I'm still confused about this.

In the UK, it is law that you MUST wear a crash helmet when riding a motor cycle
but if you are a Sikh wearing a turban you can be excused.

This seems to be at odds with the headscarf problem.

Surely there should be one policy and EVERYBODY sticks to it, no matter what.
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Sweetdeath

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 31, 2011, 05:51:15 AM
This is not first time it happened.:
http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/family-sees-mother-strangled-by-hijab-in-freak-gokarting-accident-20100408-rvci.html#ixzz1WZUDZQWH
I hope that poor woman made it into the shortlist for the Darwin awards that year!
You're right though, headscarves could clearly be a safety risk, and I imagine in the US the amusement park owners are also shit scared of being sued should anything untoward happen as a result of headscarves being worn

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Evilbeagle on August 31, 2011, 08:46:36 PM
Surely there should be one policy and EVERYBODY sticks to it, no matter what.

Exactly. Catering to some religious beliefs and making exceptions is wrong.  I'm tired of muslims getting offended .
A job wouldn't allow them to take breaks just to pray either. *rolls eyes*

Too Few Lions

me thinks we should invent a religion that allows us to do and wear whatever we want, and claim religious discrimination whenever anyone tries to stop us...

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Too Few Lions on August 31, 2011, 10:09:18 PM
me thinks we should invent a religion that allows us to do and wear whatever we want, and claim religious discrimination whenever anyone tries to stop us...

I'm for it. Especially since there's good money in starting a religion.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 31, 2011, 11:01:19 PM
Quote from: Too Few Lions on August 31, 2011, 10:09:18 PM

I'm for it. Especially since there's good money in starting a religion.

This is true. XD
I'll sue if I can't wear my unicorn horn!

iSok

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?77005-News-muslim-sisters-banned-from-amusement-park-ride

"The more islamophobic westerners get, the more stupid muslims become."

Pretty much all I would say.
Qur'an [49:13] - "O Mankind, We created you all from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another. Verily the noblest of you in the sight of God is the most God-fearing of you. Surely God is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

Sweetdeath

Quote from: iSok on September 01, 2011, 12:13:42 AM
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?77005-News-muslim-sisters-banned-from-amusement-park-ride

"The more islamophobic westerners get, the more stupid muslims become."

Pretty much all I would say.

Ooookay. >>
Why link to another forum?

Medusa

I hate Muzlims.

Now I feel like part of this group.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...