News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Dr Who, all things Whovian

Started by Griffin, August 04, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

EDIT: Early parts of the thread lost in the Great Crash of 2015.

So, my husband and I have become a little obsessed with Dr.Who as of late. Any other Whovians around?
If so, who is your favourite Doctor? Favourite villain? Coolest companion?

Personally, I haven't seen much of the early Dr.Who, but I've watched all of the most recent series. I have some serious love for Dave Tennant.

Edited by Willravel to include (nsfw) because of images
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

You can call me old and crusty if you like but I liked the old style way better, were it took several episodes to get through a story.

Jon Pertwee was my fav

Tank

Being an old fart I can remember all the different Dr's. I think if I had to choose one Dr it would be Christopher Eccleston, but only by a littl bit. I do like the current guy Matt Smith and  David Tennant was excellent. In my opinion Eccleston could do the Dr's dark side just a little better than Tennnant. Of the 'Old School' it would be Tom Baker.

I have hardly missed an episode, ever, but then SiFi if my favourite genre because if it is done well it explores how humanity could possibly survive the future.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MariaEvri

I have accidentally become hooked on the show. I was watching it on tv cause there was another show afterwards. I love the tenth doctor, David Tennant. For me, THAT'S the doctor lol.
My villain... ehm... unoriginal but I like the Daleks (eventhough  the way the yell exterminate all the time is annoying)
My favorite of his companions was Donna Noble. I absolutely hated the way they "ended" her. For me, removing the memories from a character is worse than killing him off.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

The companions have been very variable over the years. In part that has been the fault of the producers and script writers who in some cases have simply viewed the companions as a plot foil, somebody who the Dr can talk to to explain what is going on. Russell T Davies, who brought the Dr back to life went a little too far the other way IMO. Everybody wondered (wanted?) to know what would happen if the Dr fell for one of his companions, and Davies took the story line there. However the nature of the programme and the Dr meant that it would have to end badly. There was also a period when the companioins were there just to get the dads to watch a scantily clad lady run around.

E.g. Leela

Or Peri

Or for Stevil Jo Grant!

(I do love the positioning of the Daleks eye stalk  :D)

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

^ haha, I love that last picture. "Oh, you know, I'm just hanging out here in the nude with my Dalek friend."

As for villains, I thought "the Silence" was really interesting - a bad guy that no one could remember. My husband is currently re-watching the whole series, so I suspect we're going to have quite a few chats about the Cybermen and Dalek's backstories when he's done.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

My wife was born and rasied in London and as a kid she was terrified of the Cybermen as they were often shown wandering around where she lived!

My personal favourite baddies are the Darleks, although the Yetis (only appeared in one series) came a close second.

Tank

A bit of trivia, Richard Dawkins is married to Lalla Ward who played Romana one of Tom Bakers companions.

An article from 1994 How We Met: Richard Dawkins and Lalla Ward

Will

I adore Dr. Who, and I've been pleasantly surprised by Matt Smith's Doctor. Particularly, I enjoyed Vincent and The Doctor, A Christmas Carol, and The Doctor's Wife.

I got started in 2005, but I've been meaning to go back and watch the old ones, but that's a lot of time.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

The next new episode is on this at 7:10pm (UK) Saturday (27th Aug 2011). Phones off, internet unplugged!

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2011, 07:32:42 AM
A bit of trivia, Richard Dawkins is married to Lalla Ward who played Romana one of Tom Bakers companions.

An article from 1994 How We Met: Richard Dawkins and Lalla Ward
RD's a lucky man, Lalla Ward was damn pretty back in the day. I did love her in 'Vampire Circus'.

Tank

She was quite the babe. But then Dr Who's companions have always been unnecessarily good-looking  ;D

Worst mistake the Dr ever made? When he had the chance to get rid of the Daleks and didn't; they went on to destroy all the Time Lords, except the Dr.

Willow

I grew up with Peter Davidson as the doctor, and I've always wanted to be him.  Not to play him in the tv show, but to be Dr Who in real life.
I have a friend of a friend who runs a sci fi bar here, and he tells me that Peter Davidson is a twat.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2011, 09:03:38 AM
The next new episode is on this at 7:10pm (UK) Saturday (27th Aug 2011). Phones off, internet unplugged!

Can't wait, can't wait! My husband and I have been buying all of the recent episodes online. *happy dance*

Tristan Jay

Ooooh, Doctor Who, of which I am a long time fan.  I was good to go in the years between the old and new TV show, with the two ongoing series of novels that continued his adventures.

Right now, a major favorite is Ecclestone.  He accomplished a Doctor that was so edgy, intense and dangerous a Doctor, so very compelling; yet still clearly identifiable as the Doctor, while at the same time challenging old conventions of what we thought the Doctor was supposed to be.

I've gone back and forth so many times on companions, it's really hard to say.  A couple from the novels are very interesting characters.

I can't think of a favorite villain off the top of my head, but here is a monster that probably doesn't get mentioned too much: I like the Fendahl.  A gestalt creature, with 12 (Lovecraftian) sub-creature components, and a human/humanoid core.  The product of an evolutionary cul-de-sac, from the original Fifth Planet of our solar system, it's feeds on death (it is death, how do you kill death itself?).  It was so notorious it became a part of Time Lord mythology; the Time Lords were spooked enough by it that they time-looped the planet out of existence.  This creature is one of the most fascinating concepts I love from the old show.

Another great enemy is from the novels, where the Doctor intersects with a Time War (of a different shape than we see in the TV show) where the Enemy of the Timelords is specifically not the Daleks, yet other than that remains a complete mystery (and is still a matter of speculation today).  It's the mystery, the guessing game, that makes these unknown adversaries compelling.