News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Are the any true atheists

Started by Happy with no god, August 18, 2011, 02:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy with no god

Hi,

I've not posted anything for a while, so I thought I would throw this in.

I was in a meeting this morning at work when a colleague of mine just happened to mention that he was atheist (not sure why this came out) but I was surprised by the response of my boss, who replied "I don't think you are really" this was then backed up by a comment from his number two "you don't find any atheists on a crashing plane". Both my manager and his number two are both active Christians.

This made me think about those believers who refuse to accept that there are true atheists. Of  course as the plane falls to earth with all engines on fire there will be those who will be praying like mad, there may be atheists not praying and those who would not  normally call themselves believers who will be praying just in case. In reality the plane is going to crash, when was the last time the hand of God came out of the sky and placed the plane safely on the ground.

Back in May when Harold Camping (I think that was his name) was predicting rapture and the end of the world, many websites were talking about the many atheists who were building shelters to protect themselves, why would someone build a shelter to protect against something that you did not believe was going to happen? This is just propaganda that does nothing but frighten those who do believe but may not be quite sure that they are good enough.  

In my mind a true atheist will still not believe in god regardless of any situation, however human nature will try anything to aid self preservation, and it is this doubt and a "what if it is true" culture that has allowed religion to take over so many people.
Sorry forgot to add link regarding shelters http://judgementday2011.com/rapture-2011/
I don't know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public(Facebook). They forget that invisibility is a superpower."

Tank

Where did the comments about atheists building shelters come from?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on August 18, 2011, 02:56:17 PM
Where did the comments about atheists building shelters come from?

Sounds like more lies spread by the religious wrong.

Stevil

Quote from: Happy with no god on August 18, 2011, 02:34:14 PM
when was the last time the hand of God came out of the sky and placed the plane safely on the ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lJy1idHwCc

Crow

Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

I was recently on a flight that encountered some insane turbulence on approach (it was so bad that our plane fish-tailed a couple of hundred feet above the rocky coastline, our pilot refused to land and we flew several hundred kilometers away to another airport). My exact thoughts where "well. It'd suck if we go down, but most people don't get to choose how they go."

I think the thing that some theists don't get is that being atheist makes death a whole lot LESS scary for a lot of people.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Whitney

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 19, 2011, 10:15:37 PM
I was recently on a flight that encountered some insane turbulence on approach (it was so bad that our plane fish-tailed a couple of hundred feet above the rocky coastline, our pilot refused to land and we flew several hundred kilometers away to another airport). My exact thoughts where "well. It'd suck if we go down, but most people don't get to choose how they go."

I think I would be having a panic attack if that happened (I don't do well with heights so even light plane turbulence puts me on edge).   But, while I wouldn't have a calm response, I can't imagine me suddenly thinking that praying would fix it.

Stevil

Quote from: Whitney on August 19, 2011, 10:21:27 PM

I think I would be having a panic attack if that happened (I don't do well with heights so even light plane turbulence puts me on edge).   But, while I wouldn't have a calm response, I can't imagine me suddenly thinking that praying would fix it.
I can understand why people have a fear of flying, when a plane is in a downward spiral you can have quite a bit of time to think about your impending doom.

Sweetdeath

I am terrified of heights!!!. I don't even like driving over bridges.

I would have pissed myself in your situation, Juliet. X_x
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tom62

The theists at home would probably blame the atheists, on board of that plane, for the plane not being saved by their Gods.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sweetdeath

^  That is so sad!  I'm sure they would.  The same horrible concept some theists have towards countries hit with major natural disasters.  But I digress, as I don't want to anger myself before 6am. *yawn*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Whitney on August 19, 2011, 10:21:27 PM

I think I would be having a panic attack if that happened (I don't do well with heights so even light plane turbulence puts me on edge).   But, while I wouldn't have a calm response, I can't imagine me suddenly thinking that praying would fix it.

My husband, who is also an atheist, was a little less calm and kept repeating "This is so scary! This is so scary!" , but there was no mention of god from him, either.  
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

I think that maybe because of mostly black-and-white thinking, many theists simply can't see how an atheist thinks. They simply see atheism as a negation of what they are (which in some cases, is really not all that bad ;D ). I think that those who say that there are no real atheists have that sort of fundamental misunderstanding.

Secondly, people (and all other animals) want to survive and will practically do anything to survive. In some cases, maybe that extends to wanting a soul to survive when death seems inevitable and imminent. ???

Though maybe you could ask her if she would suddenly start believing in any other god other than her own if she were in that sort of situation. You don't just start believing in something at will. 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Medusa

I happen to find a big chunk of Atheists and Theist extremely alike. I've had the luck to be on many a forum and be friends with a many a different belief system. Both sides sound similarly alike.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Tank

Quote from: Medusa on August 22, 2011, 09:53:14 AM
I happen to find a big chunk of Atheists and Theist extremely alike. I've had the luck to be on many a forum and be friends with a many a different belief system. Both sides sound similarly alike.
Which just goes to show that there is a lot more that binds humanity together than drives it apart when one gets down to the personal level  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.